The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths MSc Forensic Psychology interview presentation

Hay all! I received an invitation for the master's in forensic psychology interview and I'm beyond excited (and nervous). I was wondering if anyone has some advice on prepping for the interview?

- What did you include in the research scenario presentation?
- How in-depth did you discuss the analysis part?
- What kind of questions did they follow up with?
- Experience/tips in general!
Hi! I interviewed for Kent and had a somewhat similar interview to yours. I figured since nobody has replied, I’ll help out w my experience. So i interviewed for two unis, here are the common questions they both asked:
Why this course
How has your undergraduate study prepared you for this MSc
Research interests

One uni asked for work experience while the other did not, i still managed to talk about my work experience because i believed it was crucial since i have exposure to people who have mental disorders.

Kent asked me to give me a research proposal quickly, luckily I had contacted some alumni via LinkedIn and they had told me to go prepared with a research topic and the type of statistical analysis you would use. Go with the easy one - correlation. Bring in two or three factors that interest you (for me it was attachment style and recidivism). After giving the topic, I narrowed down the factors to - what type of attachment, was the participant or orphan, child abuse, etc (got these factors from reading research articles). the interviewer seemed really impressed and said that this is very “thorough”. Next i spoke about how i would collect my data (uni participants or actual offenders in prisons). The interviewer also asked what would u do if there wasnt access to the offender population (bcz of the ethics process). Then talked about using correlation And mentioned if it the value is .70 then i’d do a regression analysis next. The interviewer also asked what types of statistical tests I had conducted in my undergrad, so I named them. He seemed really impressed and encouraged me a lot during the interview. These tips worked for me because I got an offer from Kent, hope they help u too.

Make sure you have some questions for the interviewer as well, this really shows then your interest and helps in building rapport.

So Another thing you could do is find some alumni on Linkedin and message them for more tips related to ur uni. You also have very limited time (for me it was a 15 minute timer) so be sure to speak as much as you can that u think is vvv relevant to the course. Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ravenpri
Hi! I interviewed for Kent and had a somewhat similar interview to yours. I figured since nobody has replied, I’ll help out w my experience. So i interviewed for two unis, here are the common questions they both asked:
Why this course
How has your undergraduate study prepared you for this MSc
Research interests

One uni asked for work experience while the other did not, i still managed to talk about my work experience because i believed it was crucial since i have exposure to people who have mental disorders.

Kent asked me to give me a research proposal quickly, luckily I had contacted some alumni via LinkedIn and they had told me to go prepared with a research topic and the type of statistical analysis you would use. Go with the easy one - correlation. Bring in two or three factors that interest you (for me it was attachment style and recidivism). After giving the topic, I narrowed down the factors to - what type of attachment, was the participant or orphan, child abuse, etc (got these factors from reading research articles). the interviewer seemed really impressed and said that this is very “thorough”. Next i spoke about how i would collect my data (uni participants or actual offenders in prisons). The interviewer also asked what would u do if there wasnt access to the offender population (bcz of the ethics process). Then talked about using correlation And mentioned if it the value is .70 then i’d do a regression analysis next. The interviewer also asked what types of statistical tests I had conducted in my undergrad, so I named them. He seemed really impressed and encouraged me a lot during the interview. These tips worked for me because I got an offer from Kent, hope they help u too.

Make sure you have some questions for the interviewer as well, this really shows then your interest and helps in building rapport.

So Another thing you could do is find some alumni on Linkedin and message them for more tips related to ur uni. You also have very limited time (for me it was a 15 minute timer) so be sure to speak as much as you can that u think is vvv relevant to the course. Good luck!

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it. It definitely gives me a bit more to go on and what to expect. I'm slightly nervous as I finished undergrad a few years ago and focused on qualitative work but the research scenario we got is quantitative... I'm trying my best to crash course as hard as possible but it's a lot to study in a short amount of time.

Do you perhaps remember what kind of questions they asked pertaining more to you as a candidate?
Original post by Charizard96
Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it. It definitely gives me a bit more to go on and what to expect. I'm slightly nervous as I finished undergrad a few years ago and focused on qualitative work but the research scenario we got is quantitative... I'm trying my best to crash course as hard as possible but it's a lot to study in a short amount of time.

Do you perhaps remember what kind of questions they asked pertaining more to you as a candidate?

I completely understand! I felt overwhelmed too and have had a gap in my studies. I think you should also focus on reading research articles of topics that interest you. You’d get to know the methodology and the types of statistical tests too + knowledge about the field. Just try to show confidence and prepare your answers in advance. I made an entire word document with prospective questions and did research on the uni. Don’t memorise though, they like to see you improvise on the spot so just keep the main points in mind. Most importantly be yourself! AND SMILE!!! Laugh with your teeth showing

Here’s another question they asked: Why this course how does it fit with your career goals?
Reply 4
Original post by ravenpri
I completely understand! I felt overwhelmed too and have had a gap in my studies. I think you should also focus on reading research articles of topics that interest you. You’d get to know the methodology and the types of statistical tests too + knowledge about the field. Just try to show confidence and prepare your answers in advance. I made an entire word document with prospective questions and did research on the uni. Don’t memorise though, they like to see you improvise on the spot so just keep the main points in mind. Most importantly be yourself! AND SMILE!!! Laugh with your teeth showing

Here’s another question they asked: Why this course how does it fit with your career goals?

Hay! Thank you so much, it really helped prepping those questions. I was recently offered a spot! Super excited.
Reply 5
Original post by Charizard96
Hay! Thank you so much, it really helped prepping those questions. I was recently offered a spot! Super excited.

OMG! Congrats!! Happy to help and excited for you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest