The Student Room Group

Nottingham Trent Forensic Psychology MSc Interview

Hey, so I have an interview next week with Nottingham Trent for MSc Forensic Psych- I already have an unconditional offer for Leicester but want to keep my options open. Haas anyone done the NTU interview before? It seems intense- 45 minute interview with a panel then a one hour group exercise. I don't really know what to expect, Leicester was just a straightforward 20 minute interview. Any help/guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply 1
Hey, I had an interview offer from Nottingham Trent, but had to turn it down because of exams, but I agree with you, seemed mega intense! I asked for a new date if possible so let me know how it goes!

I also have an offer from Leicester, conditional though, but that's my firm choice (was also keeping my options open)
Hi guys, I have an interview for this on the 10th of June, I moved it from the 10th of May - there was no way I was doing an interview on my birthday!

Just wondering if you had had your interview yet, and what it was like? I'm quite worried about the group task and 45 minutes does seem a long time :/

Cheers for any help and good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by .x.sketch.x.
Hi guys, I have an interview for this on the 10th of June, I moved it from the 10th of May - there was no way I was doing an interview on my birthday!

Just wondering if you had had your interview yet, and what it was like? I'm quite worried about the group task and 45 minutes does seem a long time :/

Cheers for any help and good luck!

Hey, I literally just received my re-scheduled date today for the 17th June, so sorry won't be able to give you the lowdown on it before your interview, but maybe you could share the details to me after yours? haha sorry if that's cheeky.

I've already accepted my Leicester offer, but like I said I want to keep my options open.

Have you applied anywhere else Sketch?

Good luck for your interview!
Reply 4
Hey guys, sorry im only replying now! So I had my interview yesterday for NTU, and...I GOT IN!! :smile: they called me an hour after i finished and offered me a place!!! Cant believe it! Not sure at this stage whether i'll choose ntu or leicester.

So the interview was pretty intense, i was actually in for close to an hour, the 2guys interviewing are lovely though and, not to sound like a geek, but i actually kind of enjoyed it!!! Got to say though, the other people also being interviewed said they thought it was awful and felt a bit interregated-there are A LOT of questions! They didnt ask much about undergrad it was more about you personally, your skills, how youd deal with tough working environment etc. i'd say you def need to sell yourself and your work experience if you have any, they seem to want to see maturity/life experience. They talked a lot about how they wanted people that were a right fit for the course, not just people that ticked all the boxes so just show them what you've got!

the group thing was just a few scenarios you discuss as a group, nothing too stressful.

I hope that helps you guys out, let me know how you get on! Ps they talked a lot about how most people dont get in and only 1/4 get a place-dont let that put you off!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JAlicia
Hey guys, sorry im only replying now! So I had my interview yesterday for NTU, and...I GOT IN!! :smile: they called me an hour after i finished and offered me a place!!! Cant believe it! Not sure at this stage whether i'll choose ntu or leicester.

So the interview was pretty intense, i was actually in for close to an hour, the 2guys interviewing are lovely though and, not to sound like a geek, but i actually kind of enjoyed it!!! Got to say though, the other people also being interviewed said they thought it was awful and felt a bit interregated-there are A LOT of questions! They didnt ask much about undergrad it was more about you personally, your skills, how youd deal with tough working environment etc. i'd say you def need to sell yourself and your work experience if you have any, they seem to want to see maturity/life experience. They talked a lot about how they wanted people that were a right fit for the course, not just people that ticked all the boxes so just show them what you've got!

the group thing was just a few scenarios you discuss as a group, nothing too stressful.

I hope that helps you guys out, let me know how you get on! Ps they talked a lot about how most people dont get in and only 1/4 get a place-dont let that put you off!! :smile:

Well done! That's so good how they told you so quickly!

Thanks for giving details on what the interview is like too, doesn't sound too bad to me, I'll try and blag my way through haha.

Do you mind me asking what kind of offer you have e.g. conditional/unconditional, what kind of degree you needed etc?
I haven't applied for any where else, went to Trent for my Undergraduate degree. I applied for the MSc as a kind of back-up option, as I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with myself yet! Hopefully the interview will go well, thanks JAlicia for the info, and Glencloclo I'll add anything extra after my interview :smile: Well done JAlicia for getting an offer!
Reply 7
Original post by glencloclo
Well done! That's so good how they told you so quickly!

Thanks for giving details on what the interview is like too, doesn't sound too bad to me, I'll try and blag my way through haha.

Do you mind me asking what kind of offer you have e.g. conditional/unconditional, what kind of degree you needed etc?

No problem!! Yea i think if you know that this is what you want to do and have some kind of emotional maturity you'll be grand!! :smile:

No I don't mind at all, I graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology BSc last year and have been working with domestic violence victims ever since, so I got an unconditional offer. I think they offer those first and the conditionals maybe take a week or two after interview. I don't know if you've done any volunteering but before and during uni I did with Victim Support and they loved that, so maybe even if you don't have experience look at whats out there so you can mention volunteer opportunities you'd like to be involved in.

Lots of luck to you guys for the interviews, let us know how you get on!!!

:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by JAlicia

Lots of luck to you guys for the interviews, let us know how you get on!!!

:smile:

Hey guys, didn't get an offer from nottingham trent unfortunately, but it's ok as Leicester was my first choice, and now I've got my degree results back of 2:1 I'm officially going there :smile:

How's all your applications going?
Reply 9
Original post by glencloclo
Hey guys, didn't get an offer from nottingham trent unfortunately, but it's ok as Leicester was my first choice, and now I've got my degree results back of 2:1 I'm officially going there :smile:

How's all your applications going?

I'm only just seeing this now glen loco- congratulations! In the end I chose Leicester too, so I guess I'll meet you in a few weeks!! Can't wait to get started! Are you travelling or moving? I'm moving from Northern Ireland!
Reply 10
Original post by JAlicia
I'm only just seeing this now glen loco- congratulations! In the end I chose Leicester too, so I guess I'll meet you in a few weeks!! Can't wait to get started! Are you travelling or moving? I'm moving from Northern Ireland!

Wooo someone else from the course! I'm really excited too, did you get the induction schedule today? Free lunch - bonus haha.

I'm moving, went to northumbria uni for undergrad and now moving from my home from Cheshire this year so will be a newbie like you haha. You bought any textbooks?
Reply 11
Aw good, glad I'll not be the only one! Have heard of one girl coming from N.Ireland too but that's it. Yea got the timetable there, I was pretty excited about the free lunch too!! :smile: I just have Emma Palmers text book and she sent me some articles, haven't bought any of the ones off the reading list yet. You? So you planning on working alongside the course? I just got a part time job as a learning support assistant in De montfort uni working with a student doing an Msc in psychological wellbeing- I'll feel like I'm doing two courses!!
Reply 12
She sent you articles? What am I missing out on stuff already? Haha, I only have one of the recommended books; the howitt intro to forensic psychology one. Will probably get some more once I have a bit more money.

Well I was planning on getting a job, got a couple of job interviews lined up, but just for things like waitressing etc, feel bad now I haven't gone for anything psychology related! Want to do some more volunteering as well, but finding it hard as a lot of forensic related stuff is wait listed till next year
Reply 13
Original post by JAlicia

Hi, i have an interview tomorrow and was wondering what types of questions they asked you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending