The Student Room Group

studying

i have 2 months left with my first paper on the 18 of may, im basically failing. i cant answer practically anything. i take chem econ maths. ill admit i didnt take it seriously but now i dont know what to do and what strategies i should take. anyone have any similar past experience and have come out with decent grades?
For chem and maths, your best bet is just to do practice papers. Use a textbook and youtube to go over any topics you can't remember anything about, then do the following:

1. Practice paper (maybe do the first 2-3 open book since you haven't revised much yet, then do them under timed exam conditions)
2. Mark using the mark scheme (and make sure to really understand where you've gone wrong)
3. Identify problem topics and talk to teachers or friends, consult youtube/a textbook etc. to make sure you understand the topic
4. Do targeted exam Qs on these topics (preferably under timed exam conditions - 1-1.5 min per mark is a good estimate)
5. Mark using the mark scheme and understand where you've gone wrong

And then repeat until your exams. At first you'll struggle and get low grades, but as you go on you'll be able to answer more of the Qs and understand more of the content so your grades will start to improve. This approach allows you to cover as much of the specification as possible in a short amount of time and do targeted revision on specific topics while practicing your exam technique. Remember it's quality not quantity that matters.

Good luck!
What grades dyu need?
Reply 3
Original post by toxicgamage56
What grades dyu need?

all Bs
Reply 4
Original post by kaorimiyazono
For chem and maths, your best bet is just to do practice papers. Use a textbook and youtube to go over any topics you can't remember anything about, then do the following:

1. Practice paper (maybe do the first 2-3 open book since you haven't revised much yet, then do them under timed exam conditions)
2. Mark using the mark scheme (and make sure to really understand where you've gone wrong)
3. Identify problem topics and talk to teachers or friends, consult youtube/a textbook etc. to make sure you understand the topic
4. Do targeted exam Qs on these topics (preferably under timed exam conditions - 1-1.5 min per mark is a good estimate)
5. Mark using the mark scheme and understand where you've gone wrong

And then repeat until your exams. At first you'll struggle and get low grades, but as you go on you'll be able to answer more of the Qs and understand more of the content so your grades will start to improve. This approach allows you to cover as much of the specification as possible in a short amount of time and do targeted revision on specific topics while practicing your exam technique. Remember it's quality not quantity that matters.

Good luck!

Thank you for these tips, my main worry is that i might have to learn topics instead of just revising them, and depending on the size of the topics i might not have enough time to cover all of them
Original post by spyc
i have 2 months left with my first paper on the 18 of may, im basically failing. i cant answer practically anything. i take chem econ maths. ill admit i didnt take it seriously but now i dont know what to do and what strategies i should take. anyone have any similar past experience and have come out with decent grades?

Math: use Exam Solutions, DrFrostMath etc. to revise on fundamentals
Past papers for exam questions. Keep doing them, mark them, see weaknesses (then go back to revise them) etc.
Extension work: Underground Maths, Madas Maths etc.

Other subjects: same exceppt use different resources

Maths shouldn't be too difficult, you just need a solid enough foundation for A*
Original post by spyc
Thank you for these tips, my main worry is that i might have to learn topics instead of just revising them, and depending on the size of the topics i might not have enough time to cover all of them

Np. Yeah I get that. But trust me, this method really helped me revise as many topics as possible in a short amount of time. It was very helpful when I did my A Levels. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest