The Student Room Group

Studying a course WITH an mfl

Hello, new user here.
I am wondering if it's possible to study a main subject while also studying an MFL on the side. My teacher alluded to the fact that it is possible to study a main course eg MEng and study it WITH an MFL. She said WITH means that you only do the parts of the mfl course about actually speaking the language and skip the stuff about culture etc but at the end you still get a degree for being able to speak the language. So my question is, is it possible for me to study Computer Science or MEng while studying a studying German at Cambridge and get a degree for both?
Sorry if its in the wrong forum
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by 8y9uhib
Hello, new user here.
I am wondering if it's possible to study a main subject while also studying an MFL on the side. My teacher alluded to the fact that it is possible to study a main course eg MEng and study it WITH an MFL. She said WITH means that you only do the parts of the mfl course about actually speaking the language and skip the stuff about culture etc but at the end you still get a degree for being able to speak the language. So my question is, is it possible for me to study Computer Science or MEng while studying a studying German at Cambridge and get a degree for both?
Sorry if its in the wrong forum

"With" means that you study the second subject for only a minor proportion of the time eg 25/33%. Which modules you would actually take depends on the course and your preferences when given a choice.

I had a quick look at UCAS and couldn't see any CS with German degrees, though it's a combination you could study at Exeter under the heading of Combined Flexible Honours. You might find it also available under other combined honours courses or via the BASc at UCL.

Alternatively, many unis enable students to study an MFL in their own time, though it wouldn't appear on any degree certificates.
Reply 2
Many Unis have Language Centres where you can do extra-curricular language classes alongside your degree whatever the subject - examples :
Bath - Foreign languages courses for University of Bath students
Sussex - Language short courses : Short courses : Study with us : University of Sussex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending