The Student Room Group

Mcq question help chemistry

The question is about isomerismIMG_2160.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
The question is about isomerismIMG_2160.jpeg

Hi, I think the method is to look at the next atom in the chain. For the group at the top (CH(CH3)2), the carbon (bonded directly to the carbon in the double bond) is bonded to 2 carbons and a hydrogen. In the CH2CH2CH3 group, the carbon (bonded directly to the carbon in the double bond) is connected to one carbon and 2 hydrogens.

Overall, the carbon in the branched group at the top (CH(CH3)2) is connected to atoms that would have the highest Mr, so this would be the priority group. I hope this helps, sorry it's quite wordy. If you have the CGP chemistry textbook, it explains it quite well. :smile:
Original post by Biolover2020
Hi, I think the method is to look at the next atom in the chain. For the group at the top (CH(CH3)2), the carbon (bonded directly to the carbon in the double bond) is bonded to 2 carbons and a hydrogen. In the CH2CH2CH3 group, the carbon (bonded directly to the carbon in the double bond) is connected to one carbon and 2 hydrogens.

Overall, the carbon in the branched group at the top (CH(CH3)2) is connected to atoms that would have the highest Mr, so this would be the priority group. I hope this helps, sorry it's quite wordy. If you have the CGP chemistry textbook, it explains it quite well. :smile:

Hey I still don’t get the part where you go along the C chain and the HP group, can u send me a link of a YouTube video explaining this I can’t find any videos
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Hey I still don’t get the part where you go along the C chain and the HP group, can u send me a link of a YouTube video explaining this I can’t find any videos

Heres a pic from the textbook, sorry i cant find a youtube video on it.
Original post by Biolover2020
Heres a pic from the textbook, sorry i cant find a youtube video on it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest