The Student Room Group

How to prepare and ace theory test??!!!

Hey guys. I hope everyone’s doing well. I have my theory test on 01/08, and I’m struggling to prepare for it. Does anyone have any advice, or experience? How are you/did you prepare for your theory exam? Also would you guys advise taking notes before attempting mock tests?

I also have a few questions about the structure of the exam as well.
1. How many questions are there?
2. How long is the exam?
3. Will it just be me doing the exam, or will there be multiple people doing the exam in the same room?
4. I understand that the exam is going to be online. Will we have a set time per question, or can we work through the paper at our own pace, until the full time is finished?

Oh, just to add, I’ve been using the DVSA app to prepare so far. Thanks so much for all your advice in advance guys and take care x
That’s a good app you’ve got! I passed mine first time using the DVLA app. On the app you have a “study” section where I recommend you read twice so when you do the mock test you’re not completely clueless. Since you’re doing it on your phone, you can take screenshots of all the questions you get wrong every time you take the mock test then make a separate photo album called “theory test” so you can easily flip through each question. Every time you redo the mock test and get either of the questions right, just delete the picture. That’s how you’re able to recall and memorise easily. Do this daily till your test and spend about an hour. Also aim to get 48|50 on the MCQ and like 70 on the HP.

I think their were 50 questions and you you had 57m to finish that and about 30mins for the hazard perception. There’s going to be many computers and couple people there aswell. Yh you can work through them at your own time. You can even take a 10min break if you want to after finishing the multiple choice.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi I’ve got a theory test on the same day you’ll have to let me know how it goes for you, I’ve been revising for the past couple of weeks on the theory 4 in 1 app and have been getting above the pass grade for both the MCQ and HP practice tests, and wondering if there are any suggestions of what else I could do further extend my knowledge. Also when taking the theory test in the MCQ test are the questions going to be very different from the practice ones? for instance how would I prepare for the differently worded questions? As I don’t want to be thrown off when a question I would know is just worded differently.
Original post by Ali-liyyah
Hey guys. I hope everyone’s doing well. I have my theory test on 01/08, and I’m struggling to prepare for it. Does anyone have any advice, or experience? How are you/did you prepare for your theory exam? Also would you guys advise taking notes before attempting mock tests?

I also have a few questions about the structure of the exam as well.
1. How many questions are there?
2. How long is the exam?
3. Will it just be me doing the exam, or will there be multiple people doing the exam in the same room?
4. I understand that the exam is going to be online. Will we have a set time per question, or can we work through the paper at our own pace, until the full time is finished?

Oh, just to add, I’ve been using the DVSA app to prepare so far. Thanks so much for all your advice in advance guys and take care x

For the multiple choice section, there will be 50 questions in 57 minutes. You will need 43 to pass. For the hazard perception test, there are 14 video clips and you will have to identify the hazards, one video clip will have two hazards. You score up to 5 per hazard (depending on how quickly you identify the hazard). You will need 44 out of 75 to pass.

There will be lots of people doing the exam at different times. People will be coming in and out of the room while you do your test but you are given headphones so shouldn't notice too much.

You have 57 minutes in total to finish the 50 multiple choice questions, there is not a time limit for each questions, you can go back and forward between questions. You can flag questions to come back to. At the end, you can review any questions.

The DVSA app is fantastic, that's pretty much all you need to do. In addition, just go through 'Know your traffic signs' (type it on google, it's published on the gov website) and also just try to memorise thinking and braking distances.
Hi, I did my theory back in December, and literally did 4 days of prep. And I second that you only need the official DVSA app for the multiple choice section. It has literally all the info you need and I got so many of the same practise questions that were on the app in my actual test. I got 48/50. Other than the app, just briefly go through all the traffic signs, you’ll only get a few Qs about them on the test.
As for hazard perception, again use the app and practise. You don’t need to do amazing in this section to pass.
Overall, it’s not a hard test and don’t overthink it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Update I passed! 49/50 MCQ and 61/75 on HP.
The main advice I’d give from my experience is:
Using the Theory 4 in 1 app.
Revising the high way code, doing all individual categories on MCQ an practice HP clips and then move on the mock tests.
Consistent revising on the app until your getting above pass mark (43/50 for MCQ and 44/75 for HP).
Don’t stress to much if you know you have revised and tried your best.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Coco_Koda
Update I passed! 49/50 MCQ and 61/75 on HP.
The main advice I’d give from my experience is:
Using the Theory 4 in 1 app.
Revising the high way code, doing all individual categories on MCQ an practice HP clips and then move on the mock tests.
Consistent revising on the app until your getting above pass mark (43/50 for MCQ and 44/75 for HP).
Don’t stress to much if you know you have revised and tried your best.

Hi,

My theory test is soon I’ve been using the 4 in 1 app too and scoring 50/50 on every mock test I do and 61/75 on hazard perception. Would you say the app had similar questions to the real thing?
Hey guys. I just wanted to update you guys and say that I passed my theory test, so thank you to everyone for sending their tips and advice. It really helped.

I’ll keep this thread open to help anyone who’s currently preparing for their theory test. Hopefully it’s helpful to you guys.
took u 8 months? mad
Reply 9
Original post by Ali-liyyah
Hey guys. I just wanted to update you guys and say that I passed my theory test, so thank you to everyone for sending their tips and advice. It really helped.

I’ll keep this thread open to help anyone who’s currently preparing for their theory test. Hopefully it’s helpful to you guys.

Hey,

I've been put off from doing my theory but will be booking it soon.
I was just wondering if you've got any advice since I want to get it over and done with.
Reply 10
Original post by han0134x
Hey,

I was just wondering if you've got any advice since I want to get it over and done with.

Download the official DVSA car theory app and just do it every day whenever you’re free. Memorise it and get familiar with it
Reply 11
Original post by han0134x
Hey,

I used the theory test prep app but it helped me more to practice doing the tests rather than revising because a lot of the questions from there were very similar to the ones in the actual test. Hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending