The Student Room Group

Warwick Law for Commercial Bar?

I've recently received an offer for law from the University of Warwick. While appreciate it is a very good uni (top 10), I'm not sure whether I'd be at a natural disadvantage against Oxbridge/LSE grads?

For context, the aim is to be a barrister in London (civil, commercial, employment, professional negligence sort of areas) so my goal is definitely get a top first even if Warwick's percentage of firsts is low. But I'm not sure when it comes to applying for jobs, whether I will be significantly disadvantaged against the Oxbridge/London grads and should be maybe temper my expectations? Would appreciate some thoughts on this

(Yes, I am very much focused and productive with A level revision- just sometimes like to think about the future!)
No, you won't be disadvantaged. The very top commercial sets may put more stock in your university choice, but the Bar generally puts relatively little stock in it. Getting a First is much more important, and even to the extent that university choice does affect your applications, it's not significant enough to warrant stopping you from going to a university that you otherwise want to go to. Even Oxbridge graduates have little in the way of a natural advantage. Their advantage comes not from the fact of them attending Oxbridge, but of the quality of the education and opportunities. But that still requires candidates to make the most of that. I have come across a surprisingly high number of really quite poor Oxbridge candidates applying for pupillage over the years, who evidently haven't made the most of their opportunities. Equally, you can make your own opportunities at most universities, including Warwick. So the short answer is no, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending