The Student Room Group

Application process for vacation schemes v. training contracts

Both seem to require an online application, verbal reasoning test and multiple interviews. What are the differences between applications for each?
Not much and many firms recruit trainees from the vac schemes so in a sense for many the vac scheme application process is kind of a TC application
For a lot of firms there isn’t any difference at all in structure. The only difference is the bar to pass. The standard for VS interview will be a lot lower than a straight TC, for obvious reasons - you can test a candidate over 2 weeks compared to just a couple hours. That’s why the vast majority of the big firms recruit their trainees through VS.
Reply 3
Original post by Moist Towelette
Both seem to require an online application, verbal reasoning test and multiple interviews. What are the differences between applications for each?

Another difference is that once you pass the AC for the TC application you have secured an offer. With a vac sceme, you will also need to pass the assessment at the end of the scheme in order to secure the TC offer. In addition, to secure a TC offer you need to have a bit more experience such as previous legal/non-legal experience. For a vac scheme most of the time you won't need that.

In terms of application content, researching the firm is very important. For this I would recommend the Commercial Law Academy's courses on introduction to commercial law, law firm profiles and research and writing successful applications.
Reply 4
Original post by Darren_890
Another difference is that once you pass the AC for the TC application you have secured an offer. With a vac sceme, you will also need to pass the assessment at the end of the scheme in order to secure the TC offer. In addition, to secure a TC offer you need to have a bit more experience such as previous legal/non-legal experience. For a vac scheme most of the time you won't need that.

In terms of application content, researching the firm is very important. For this I would recommend the Commercial Law Academy's courses on introduction to commercial law, law firm profiles and research and writing successful applications.

Yes I would agree with this and I’ve found the Commercial Law Academy to be very useful too! https://www.commerciallaw.academy Here is a link to it for anyone interested. :smile:
Original post by Moist Towelette

Hi!

Most firms have very little difference between the two application processes but are perhaps willing to accept a slightly less well-finished product for the vac scheme compared to TC. Also, many firms do use the Vac schemes to highlight individuals for future TCs meaning that it is worth putting a good effort into the application as well as when you are on the scheme.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending