The Student Room Group

Do you need an LLM for a commercial pupillage?

Hi TSR,

For context, I'm final year law student at a top 4 UK law school (non-Oxbridge) and have an offer to study for the LLM at New York University (NYU).

I aim to practise at the commercial bar (I dont really mind which one/type of work as long as it's commercial). Do you guys think that the LLM from NYU will boost my application for pupillage? Indeed, I'm worried that because it's not the Oxford BCL (or Cambridge/Harvard LLM for that matter), it's not going to help my application enough to justify the tuition fees.

But then on the other hand, would a US legal education (albeit a brief one) and the NY Bar distinguish myself from other candidates?

Thanks guys!
You don't need an LLM for a pupillage, you need a qualifying law degree plus you need to have done the Bar training course and passed the BCAT (Bar Course Aptitude Test).
Reply 2
Original post by turtlebrownrice
Hi TSR,
For context, I'm final year law student at a top 4 UK law school (non-Oxbridge) and have an offer to study for the LLM at New York University (NYU).
I aim to practise at the commercial bar (I dont really mind which one/type of work as long as it's commercial). Do you guys think that the LLM from NYU will boost my application for pupillage? Indeed, I'm worried that because it's not the Oxford BCL (or Cambridge/Harvard LLM for that matter), it's not going to help my application enough to justify the tuition fees.
But then on the other hand, would a US legal education (albeit a brief one) and the NY Bar distinguish myself from other candidates?
Thanks guys!

I would love to hear on any feedback you got on this! I’m currently in the exact same position
An LLM or equivalent is not a formal requirement for pupillage, but in practice those who apply to the top sets of chambers tend to have qualifications of that kind. An LLM from NYU would usually be well regarded, as would a pass in the New York Bar exam. Good luck!

Miss S Byng (a commercial barrister)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending