The Student Room Group

How does the tax work on 2 part-time jobs?

I’ve currently got a job right now that will roughly pay me roughly £1,000 a month (working 2 days a week) if i were to get another job that would pay roughly over £1,100… would I pay hundreds of tax?
Reply 1
Original post by eve_02
I’ve currently got a job right now that will roughly pay me roughly £1,000 a month (working 2 days a week) if i were to get another job that would pay roughly over £1,100… would I pay hundreds of tax?

Depends what your personal allowance is.

But you'd be taxed the same as if you had one job earning £2,100/month
Original post by eve_02

Try this income tax calculator:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/
Original post by eve_02

As noted, your liability to pay tax would be the same as if you had one job that paid £2100/month.

That said, with having two jobs, you need to be careful that you don't end up underpaying tax (and then having to repay it) or overpaying tax (and having to wait to get it back).

If you contact HMRC, they should be able to arrange things so that the two employers are given appropriate tax codes for you to make sure that you end up paying the right amount of tax overall.
Original post by martin7
As noted, your liability to pay tax would be the same as if you had one job that paid £2100/month.

That said, with having two jobs, you need to be careful that you don't end up underpaying tax (and then having to repay it) or overpaying tax (and having to wait to get it back).

If you contact HMRC, they should be able to arrange things so that the two employers are given appropriate tax codes for you to make sure that you end up paying the right amount of tax overall.

Pretty much this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending