The Student Room Group

Should I pay tax as a 17 year old with a part time job?

I started a part time job at a supermarket four weeks ago and I get paid weekly, and have been getting taxed. I've googled whether I should be but can't really come across any straight answers that I understand? Should I be getting taxed? I earn £8.83 which is above minimum wage for my age.
Depends how much you earn in a year.
Reply 2
You'll get taxed initially because everybody does, but if you earn under the threshold (it's not about age), then you'll eventually get this back in the form of a rebate.
You will be on emergency tax till you get issued with a proper tax code. You will get it back in the end
Reply 4
Original post by lectergraham
I started a part time job at a supermarket four weeks ago and I get paid weekly, and have been getting taxed. I've googled whether I should be but can't really come across any straight answers that I understand? Should I be getting taxed? I earn £8.83 which is above minimum wage for my age.

What tax code is shown on your payslip? If it ends in 'W1' or 'M1' then you're on emergency tax, but once the tax office has given your employer the right code to use you'll get back any tax you've overpaid.
Original post by martin7
What tax code is shown on your payslip? If it ends in 'W1' or 'M1' then you're on emergency tax, but once the tax office has given your employer the right code to use you'll get back any tax you've overpaid.

My tax code just says 0T which I believe is emergency tax too?
Original post by Neuroticant
Depends how much you earn in a year.

I'm on a 0 hour contract so I don't have a set amount per year eek,
Reply 7
I'm on a 0 hour contract so I don't have a set amount per year eek,

just check your payslips for when you get a rebate. if not complete a tax return. How long have you been working there?
Original post by ajj2000
just check your payslips for when you get a rebate. if not complete a tax return. How long have you been working there?

About four weeks now I think? I just checked my payslip for this week and they'd paid me back half of the tax I paid so I'm not worried now, thank you for the help!
Reply 9
About four weeks now I think? I just checked my payslip for this week and they'd paid me back half of the tax I paid so I'm not worried now, thank you for the help!

ok - so did you get a payslip by end March? In any case, you just do a tax return next year - nice savings plan!
Original post by ajj2000
ok - so did you get a payslip by end March? In any case, you just do a tax return next year - nice savings plan!

You do not need to do a tax return. After the end of the tax year (around this time of year) you automatically get back.any overpaid tax. It may take a while to come through (they have to sort through everyone's) but you will get it.
If it was at any point in the year (i.e. not near the end of the tax year) then you phone up the tax office, they sort it and change your tax code and you get any overpaid tax back next pay day.
Original post by Emma:-)
You do not need to do a tax return. After the end of the tax year (around this time of year) you automatically get back.any overpaid tax. It may take a while to come through (they have to sort through everyone's) but you will get it.
If it was at any point in the year (i.e. not near the end of the tax year) then you phone up the tax office, they sort it and change your tax code and you get any overpaid tax back next pay day.

You have far more confidence in Hmrc than I do!
I always call the finance part of the company I work for just to check when I’ve been put on emergency tax and if they are sorting it,you can call Tax office too, although probably a mare to get through, it should sort itself naturally but like others said that can take time. I’m always impatient and emergency tax can be a lot out of a pay packet if you are in a higher wage.
Original post by ajj2000
You have far more confidence in Hmrc than I do!

I've not exactly got confidence in them, just had experience sorting it out myself a couple of times.

Phone the job centre and they should help you get the right answer! Good luck and all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending