The Student Room Group

Should I pay taxes? Helppp

I’m a bit confused as I’m a teen, I’ve been working part time and been taxed? I’m above 18 but if I was working such little hours that it falls below the annual threshold how would I go about claiming that money back that has been taken? Can I claim that money that’s been taken back, and how?
Reply 1
Id guess you've been put on an emergency tax code... If so after a few weeks HMRC works out your real tax code and you automatically get a refund.
Hi. This really is straight forward so don't worry.

First step is to make sure you have the documents that show how much tax you have paid and then call the HMRC helpline on 0300 200 3300
Your employer should be able to deal with it to be honest. Have you asked them to stop deducting tax?
Also check your payslip to make sure they haven't been deducting National Insurance Contributions and Pension Contributions as you're likely to be below the thresholds for those too.
Reply 3
Original post by Amethystic
I’m a bit confused as I’m a teen, I’ve been working part time and been taxed? I’m above 18 but if I was working such little hours that it falls below the annual threshold how would I go about claiming that money back that has been taken? Can I claim that money that’s been taken back, and how?

What tax code have you been given? You won't be taxed if your annualised income falls below your personal allowance (based on the tax code), and if you do overpay tax - e.g. because you only work for 3 months, say - then HMRC will simply refund your overpaid tax some time after the end of the current tax year :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by davros
What tax code have you been given? You won't be taxed if your annualised income falls below your personal allowance (based on the tax code), and if you do overpay tax - e.g. because you only work for 3 months, say - then HMRC will simply refund your overpaid tax some time after the end of the current tax year :smile:

Thank you! I’ve just checked, one employments payslip says L and the other (my longest job this year, for 6 months) says T.
Reply 5
Original post by SomeonesDad
Hi. This really is straight forward so don't worry.

First step is to make sure you have the documents that show how much tax you have paid and then call the HMRC helpline on 0300 200 3300
Your employer should be able to deal with it to be honest. Have you asked them to stop deducting tax?
Also check your payslip to make sure they haven't been deducting National Insurance Contributions and Pension Contributions as you're likely to be below the thresholds for those too.

Thanks for the number, I’ll call them up. I’m not employed by them anymore. I did go on the website and they said if I haven’t been sent a letter stating I overpaid tax then I probably haven’t
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
Id guess you've been put on an emergency tax code... If so after a few weeks HMRC works out your real tax code and you automatically get a refund.

My tax codes don’t fall into the emergency tax codes, it’s also been a few months with no refund
Reply 7
Thanks for the number, I’ll call them up. I’m not employed by them anymore. I did go on the website and they said if I haven’t been sent a letter stating I overpaid tax then I probably haven’t

don't be surprised if there is a long wait for the call to be answered.
Reply 8
Thank you! I’ve just checked, one employments payslip says L and the other (my longest job this year, for 6 months) says T.

Your tax code includes numbers too -- so is the first one "1257 L" and the second one "0 T" ?

And when you refer to two jobs, have you left one of them, or are you employed by two employers at the same time?
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending