The Student Room Group

London travel Uni railcard

If you travel within London can you use a railcard or do I need an Oyster card? Im moving for uni and some student bank accounts come with rail cards so is it possible to use that when travelling within London
Original post by lookingatthesun
If you travel within London can you use a railcard or do I need an Oyster card? Im moving for uni and some student bank accounts come with rail cards so is it possible to use that when travelling within London

From the TFL website:

National Railcards
There are different Railcards available to suit your age and needs. You need to register your Oyster card if you're adding a discount to it and want to apply for refunds or replacements.

16-25 Railcard
Get 1/3 discount on off-peak pay as you go travel. Add your discount to an Oyster card or 18+ Student Oyster photocard.

You can also buy discounted Off-Peak Day Travelcards to travel:

At any time on weekends and public holidays
After 09:30 Monday to Friday, during July or August, or after 10:00, Monday to Friday for the rest of the year

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/national-railcard-discount
Original post by lookingatthesun

The key thing is that a railcard is an entitlement to discounted travel. You can't pay a fare with a railcard. You can add the railcard's "entitlement to a discount" to an Oyster card, so that the discount is applied when using the Oyster card to pay for the travel.

I hope that makes sense!

Quick Reply

Latest