The Student Room Group

TRAVELLING FROM LONDON TO READING EVERYDAY. Know any Cheap Ways To Get There?

Hi, I intedn to travel from my home near Paddington and head over to reading each day, it only takes 30 mins on the train BUT, it cost a BLOODY fortune!

Do any of you know any discounts students can get on national rail? I heard you can get 30% off or something but I can't find it any where!

Any help would be much appreciated by myself and my very small, moth-filled wallet!

Scroll to see replies

Walk.
Reply 2
Why are you travelling rather than moving?
What sort of times do you have in mind? Before or after 10:00? :smile:
@AD Funny, @Tigger I don't want to move, I've got a lovely flat, why would I want to live in a room on campus?!!
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
@A Mysterious Lord probably before as I haven't got my timetable yet, but I guess I'd be starting before 10am. Yeah I know, "peak times" :frown:

Do any of you know about that student discount thing for trains or was it just my imagination?!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alevelstudent123
Hi, I intedn to travel from my home near Paddington and head over to reading each day, it only takes 30 mins on the train BUT, it cost a BLOODY fortune!

Do any of you know any discounts students can get on national rail? I heard you can get 30% off or something but I can't find it any where!

Any help would be much appreciated by myself and my very small, moth-filled wallet!

Get a student rail card, it gets you 33% off but it costs £28
You want a 16-25 Railcard, gives 30% off or something like that. Costs £28 a year.
@AD Funny, @Tigger I don't want to move, I've got a lovely flat, why would I want to live in a room on campus?!! @A Mysterious Lord probably before as I haven't got my timetable yet, but I guess I'd be starting before 10am. Yeah I know, "peak times" :frown:

Do any of you know about that student discount thing for trains or was it just my imagination?!!

16-25 railcard. Costs about £30, gets a 1/3 off of the price.

Yep, it's a 16-25 railcard, it costs £28 and gives you a third off most rail fares.

Before 0920, which is the peak cutoff time at Paddington, it'll cost £24.75 return the same day. After 0920 it'll cost £10.55 (but subject to a £12 minimum fare before 10:00, so in reality it's £12). **Note that these fares are WITH the 16-25 railcard**

If you go from Waterloo rather than Paddington it'll cost a bit less but takes much longer.

A season ticket may be better, which will cost you £344 a month :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Yep, it's a 16-25 railcard, it costs £28 and gives you a third off most rail fares.

Before 0920, which is the peak cutoff time at Paddington, it'll cost £24.75 return the same day. After 0920 it'll cost £10.55 (but subject to a £12 minimum fare before 10:00, so in reality it's £12).

If you go from Waterloo rather than Paddington it'll cost a bit less but takes much longer.

A months rent then!
Original post by Trigger
A months rent then!

My monthly rent (first year, halls) was £320 a month in Manchester, I dread to think what £340 would get you in Reading :eek:
I'd just like to add to the thread that you can get a 16-25 railcard for £28 which gives you 1/3rd off your travel fair.

oh, wait.... nevermind :wink:
Reply 13
If your going more than three times a week, get a Rail Season ticket they can offer pretty much unlimited rail travel at any time of day.

You can't use a 16-25 Railcard to purchase a Season ticket to get a third off because Season tickets are already pretty heavily discounted.

I was commuting to and from Bedford and London throughout the summer hols' to work while I was off uni and I was paying £400/month for my season ticket. It ain't gonna be cheap :frown:

Buy a 125cc motorbike, do your full motorbike test so you can take it on the motorway (although you'll only be able to do 70 so pretty much slow lane only), and you're sorted.

Yes it would cost you a bit to get started, you could get bike, gear and license for about £1600, a 125cc bike will do about 100mpg and cost you about £300 per year to insure (and far less than that if you're over about 22).

Relatively high initial outlay, although the vast majority of it will come back to you when you sell the bike, but bugger all cost after that.

National Express coaches from Victoria :wink: Damn you live in a nice part of London!
Reply 16
If you do get the railcard you can also add it to an Oyster card and get discount tube travel, probably not much help for getting to Reading but it'll help you around London.
Original post by Trigger
A months rent then!

That's what I thought! Its OK though, I'll just use my loan!
Reply 18
That's what I thought! Its OK though, I'll just use my loan!

Seems a waste of money though?

Before 0920, which is the peak cutoff time at Paddington, it'll cost £24.75 return the same day. After 0920 it'll cost £10.55 (but subject to a £12 minimum fare before 10:00, so in reality it's £12). **Note that these fares are WITH the 16-25 railcard**

Thanks for your advise, I really appreciate it. Do I have to buy the ticket every day then? Or can I use this 33% off card for weekly passes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending