The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

London to uni of kent

Is commuting from London to Kent possible? Ive seen people commute from London to various other unis but I haven’t seen to Kent. The prices I’ve found are really expensive as well. Is there any way to travel that wouldn’t be so expensive?
yeah you can get a railcard which helps cut the costs down a lot! it's £30ish at first but it is good for the long term, it still will be expensive but less so than if you stayed there
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Is commuting from London to Kent possible? Ive seen people commute from London to various other unis but I haven’t seen to Kent. The prices I’ve found are really expensive as well. Is there any way to travel that wouldn’t be so expensive?

Hey,

It's definitely possible as I have a few friends who commute from London! If you get the train, I'd definitely recommend getting a railcard as was said above as it can really reduce costs over time!

However, an alternative option is by coach - you can get the National Express coach from London Victoria which stops at the University of Kent. The earliest this arrives at the uni is 9:50, so maybe you'd have to get the train on any days you start at 9 (just depends on your timetable, you may not have any 9am starts). There are also discounts for the National Express with a Young Persons Coachcard. You can find more info about getting the coach to the uni here, where it also has the link to the timetable and the discounts.

I've also included the link to Kent's website which talks about all the travel options here.

Hope this helps!! :smile:

Natalie
- University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
yeah you can get a railcard which helps cut the costs down a lot! it's £30ish at first but it is good for the long term, it still will be expensive but less so than if you stayed there

Is that for both travelling to and back from the uni?
Reply 4
The biggest question is if your accommodation and utilities vs transport costs. If you are on campus 5 days a week, it might be worth coming to London City on Weekends only? Obviously if you stay with others and you have zero costs going towards accommodation and utilities. Get a railcard/ student 18+ oyster and calculate if you will use it enough to need a weekly/monthly ticket and if there will be any saving doing so.
Is that for both travelling to and back from the uni?

Hey,

No, the railcard is £30 for the year and gives you a 33% discount on all rail travel in the UK for the whole year. You can check on trainline/national rail enquiries because it depends on the station you're travelling from, but for instance London St Pancras to Canterbury West (which is a high speed train as well) is £25 return with a railcard or £39 without a railcard for an off-peak return. So the railcard will just save you money over time - but it isn’t valid on some peak services, you’ll have to check online to see when it isn’t valid :smile:

Hope this helps.

Natalie
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

It's definitely possible as I have a few friends who commute from London! If you get the train, I'd definitely recommend getting a railcard as was said above as it can really reduce costs over time!

However, an alternative option is by coach - you can get the National Express coach from London Victoria which stops at the University of Kent. The earliest this arrives at the uni is 9:50, so maybe you'd have to get the train on any days you start at 9 (just depends on your timetable, you may not have any 9am starts). There are also discounts for the National Express with a Young Persons Coachcard. You can find more info about getting the coach to the uni here, where it also has the link to the timetable and the discounts.

I've also included the link to Kent's website which talks about all the travel options here.

Hope this helps!! :smile:

Natalie

Hey! Can I ask if ur friends commute 5 days a week to uni or less?
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

No, the railcard is £30 for the year and gives you a 33% discount on all rail travel in the UK for the whole year.

Just to be clear -- it doesn't give a discount on all rail travel -- there are exceptions. See https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/travel-times-tickets/

Also, railcards are only valid in GB (i.e. England, Scotland, and Wales), not the whole of the UK.
Hey! Can I ask if ur friends commute 5 days a week to uni or less?

Hey!

No only about 3 days for both of them - they asked to swap classes for certain modules to ensure that they were in as little as possible to reduce commuting costs :smile:

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending