The Student Room Group

year 1 uni summer ideas?

I want to start working and saving up since i don't have a job
I applied to some STEM project thing my uni does
but what else can I do to gain more experience or does anyone know any good things that go on in summer in London since im so burnt out from uni?
Original post by thrush
but what else can I do to gain more experience or does anyone know any good things that go on in summer in London since im so burnt out from uni?

Hey!
I totally understand the desire to start working and saving up some cash. It's great that you applied to the STEM project at your university, that's a good start to gaining experience.

There are a few other things you can do to gain more experience and make some money during the summer. One option is to look for internships or part-time jobs related to your field of study. This can give you valuable experience and help you build your network. You can check job websites or career fairs for opportunities.

Another option is to volunteer or do some community service. This is a great way to give back to your community and also gain some experience. You can search for local organizations that align with your interests and see if they have any volunteer opportunities available.

If you're looking for something fun to do in London during the summer, there are plenty of events and festivals that go on. You can check online for listings of concerts, food festivals, outdoor movie screenings, and more. There are also many parks and outdoor spaces in London that are great for picnics or just hanging out with friends.

Just remember, it's important to take some time to rest and recharge after a busy semester. Make sure you're taking care of yourself and doing things that bring you joy. Good luck with your job search and have a great summer!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Original post by thrush

Hi there :smile:

First of all make sure that you are focusing on your mental health. Feelings of stress and burnout will only get worse if you don't take time to rest and recharge. My advice would be to take some time over the summer to do something that you enjoy that is completely away from academics. Unfortunately second and third year will be more intense so the quicker that you can train your brain and body to deal with stress and burnout, the more motivated and productive you will be when you return. Here is an events website I use whenever i'm looking at which events are going on in London. These tend to be relatively affordable, particularly for students. ( https://londoncheapo.com/events/july/ )
Nevertheless the summer holidays can also be the perfect opportunity to develop your skills and enhance your CV if you feel that you can manage it and have recharged from first year. Internships are very popular as they give you a period of work experience for a limited amount of time. This can be beneficial to develop your skills in your area of study or another area closely linked that you might be interested it. I would advise approaching companies face to face if possible to ask for work experience as you are more likely to get a reply than emailing. Alternatively I have known people who have been successful at securing placements/internships via phone calls and sometimes virtual interviews so it is always worth giving them a call if you dont hear back. Hope this helps

Best of luck

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Original post by thrush

Hi there,
It's great that you're taking the time to focus on yourself during your summer break. If you are interested in enhancing your CV and saving up then it may be worth volunteering or getting a part time summer job. We've recently done a blog all about the perfect part time jobs for students which you can check out here: https://bit.ly/41QrY4J

London wise, there is so much to do! It depends on what you're interested in but personally, I love all of the immersive art installations and theatre trips. You can get some fairly cheap theatre tickets if you look hard enough. Why not also look at doing a day trip outside the capital? There are some wonderful places you can reach by train just outside of London.

Hope his helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending