The Student Room Group

Paying Student Loan From Abroard - Self Employed

Hello peeps,

I am living abroad and The Student Loan company is chasing me up to pay back the debt. I am self employed and they want me to provide a letter from an accountant. I am in the process of doing that but after I submit that, is that it or do they want more evidence such as bank statements? Asking because it will be very hard to show many of my costs, which in turn effect the profit level, thus how much I should pay back.

TIA!
Original post by Studebt Loaner
I am living abroad and The Student Loan company is chasing me up to pay back the debt. I am self employed and they want me to provide a letter from an accountant. I am in the process of doing that but after I submit that, is that it or do they want more evidence such as bank statements? Asking because it will be very hard to show many of my costs, which in turn effect the profit level, thus how much I should pay back.

There's info here: https://www.savethestudent.org/student-finance/repaying-your-student-loan-from-abroad.html (but note that that site is not an "official" SLC site). If the information there is correct, then it sounds like the letter from your accountant should be sufficient.
Original post by martin7
There's info here: https://www.savethestudent.org/student-finance/repaying-your-student-loan-from-abroad.html (but note that that site is not an "official" SLC site). If the information there is correct, then it sounds like the letter from your accountant should be sufficient.

Thanks martin7. I think that is the case too but hoping to get feedback from people here who have been through the process themselves.
Hello peeps,

TIA!

Just get what they ask for. Dont ignore them as they will chase and find you. Contrary to popular belief, going abroad doesnt exempt you from repaying it.
Original post by Jack22031994
Just get what they ask for. Dont ignore them as they will chase and find you. Contrary to popular belief, going abroad doesnt exempt you from repaying it.

I am in the process of doing what is requested but it would still be useful to hear from people who have gone through with it in similar circumstances.
Hello peeps,

TIA!
Hi there ! I'm currently in the process of getting an accountant to write the same letter, but I'm a bit confused about what to get them to include. What did your letter include, and from when to when did you include your yearly income ? Also did you accountant directly write the letter in English ? I'm struggling to find an accountant who knows what to include ! Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending