The Student Room Group

From employed to self employed on migrant worker loan

EU student

settled status (moved in the UK 02/2018)

undergraduate studying arts Year 3

on migrant worker loan

studying full time with part time job

paying home fee since starting uni 09/2021

On my migrant worker loan I was told I need to work 10 hours per week minimum or earn enough money. I want to start my own business selling my crafts and becoming self employed. This would mean quitting my current admin job, basically replacing it with self employment so I have the time and energy to build it up (filming and editing for social media promotion, working on different pieces, researching markets, building a contact list with professionals, creating projects, taking part in exhibitions and art fairs, freelance work+ more).

I calculated the financial aspect of this move and I will be able to transition into my plan effortlessly. By the time I graduate in June this year I would be set up to earn my living wage from my self employment. Can I do that and still keep my loan as it is and future maintenance loan instalments if I switch to self employment?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by christine_24

EU student

settled status (moved in the UK 02/2018)

undergraduate studying arts Year 3

on migrant worker loan

studying full time with part time job

paying home fee since starting uni 09/2021

On my migrant worker loan I was told I need to work 10 hours per week minimum or earn enough money. I want to start my own business selling my crafts and becoming self employed. This would mean quitting my current admin job, basically replacing it with self employment so I have the time and energy to build it up (filming and editing for social media promotion, working on different pieces, researching markets, building a contact list with professionals, creating projects, taking part in exhibitions and art fairs, freelance work+ more).

I calculated the financial aspect of this move and I will be able to transition into my plan effortlessly. By the time I graduate in June this year I would be set up to earn my living wage from my self employment. Can I do that and still keep my loan as it is and future maintenance loan instalments if I switch to self employment?

Hi Christine,

To be eligible for Migrant Worker status whether employed/self employed, you need to be earning at an acceptable level, which shows enough to support yourself. There is no figure we can advise, but you would need to send your evidence if you change to self employment and the team would review this and confirm if its accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending