The Student Room Group

I’m starting to regret my firm choice

Hello, I was wondering if I’m able to apply for my insurance choice.
I went to my firm uni open day, I really like it but I now regret it.
I was wondering if I’m able to apply for accommodation for my insurance university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mylifeasci
I was wondering if I’m able to apply for accommodation for my insurance university

You're actual question is about whether your "able to apply for accommodation for my insurance university". Generally, no. Most universities will only allow you to apply accommodation if you have selected them as your firm choice. (A few universities allow you to apply for accommodation if you've selected them as your first choice - but you'd need to either check the rules for that particular university or let us know which university it is.)

However, your implied question is whether you can change your mind about your firm and insurance choices. Did you make that decision within the last 14 days? If so, then yes. Call UCAS on Monday (0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 333 0230) and tell then you want to do a "reply swap". It's still possible after 14 days, but it's not quite as straightforward. See this TSR article entitled "Help! I’m having second thoughts about my uni choice" for further details.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You're actual question is about whether your "able to apply for accommodation for my insurance university". Generally, no. Most universities will only allow you to apply accommodation if you have selected them as your firm choice. (A few universities allow you to apply for accommodation if you've selected them as your first choice - but you'd need to either check the rules for that particular university or let us know which university it is.)

However, your implied question is whether you can change your mind about your firm and insurance choices. Did you make that decision within the last 14 days? If so, then yes. Call UCAS on Monday (0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 333 0230) and tell then you want to do a "reply swap". It's still possible after 14 days, but it's not quite as straightforward. See this TSR article entitled "Help! I’m having second thoughts about my uni choice" for further details.

The insurance university that I applied for is Suffolk.
The insurance university that I applied for is Suffolk.

From their accommodation FAQs page, here:

"University of Suffolk is my insurance choice can I still book accommodation?

Look but don’t book! You may find it useful to familiarise yourself with the accommodation in case you have a change of circumstances and will be studying at the University of Suffolk. You are strongly advised not to book a room unless you will be studying with us."

The following is also worth noting:

"Does the University of Suffolk own and manage the accommodation?

The University of Suffolk does not own or manage any of the accommodation we recommend to students. Instead, we work closely with local landlords and managing agents to recommend accommodation that meets our standards of quality and safety through our accreditation scheme. We will only ever recommend landlords and properties that we know and trust."
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
From their accommodation FAQs page, here:

"University of Suffolk is my insurance choice can I still book accommodation?

Look but don’t book! You may find it useful to familiarise yourself with the accommodation in case you have a change of circumstances and will be studying at the University of Suffolk. You are strongly advised not to book a room unless you will be studying with us."

The following is also worth noting:

"Does the University of Suffolk own and manage the accommodation?

The University of Suffolk does not own or manage any of the accommodation we recommend to students. Instead, we work closely with local landlords and managing agents to recommend accommodation that meets our standards of quality and safety through our accreditation scheme. We will only ever recommend landlords and properties that we know and trust."

So to put it simply, i shouldn't apply?
So to put it simply, i shouldn't apply?

Correct.
Reply 6
when did you firm your uni? i think you have 14 days after firming to switch your firm/insurance choice
Reply 7
Original post by catss
when did you firm your uni? i think you have 14 days after firming to switch your firm/insurance choice

In March
In March

In that case, see the "What can I do if I chose my firm and insurance more than 14 days ago?" heading of the article I provided a link to earlier, here.

Hey there @mylifeasci !
I firmed a different university originally then regretted it and had already applied for accommodation. Sheffield Hallam was originally my insurance choice but I decided I wanted to go there a lot more than my firm so opted to change. The process was easy and I just had to make sure I withdrew everything from my first choice before confirming anything with my insurance. I just emailed the uni the withdraw my application and accommodation choice, followed by emailing ucas to update them of the change and they sorted everything out for me. I then got an email through from Hallam saying thank you for making it my new firm choice and they pointed me as to where to find accommodation. I didn't do any applying at my insurance choice until I was fully withdrawn from my firm but it was really easy to sort out.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
In March

If you want to swap your replies give UCAS a ring tomorrow. Most universities give UCAS blanket agreement to all reply swaps. That means you can swap for firm to your insurance and vice versa (or change to another of your offers as insurance and your insurance as your firm).
i decided to email Canterbury to see if I could switch courses and they said that I needed to wait until results day to see if they have any spaes. now I'm in a difficult position, I don't know if I should switch unis or not.
i decided to email Canterbury to see if I could switch courses and they said that I needed to wait until results day to see if they have any spaes. now I'm in a difficult position, I don't know if I should switch unis or not.

They aren’t your insurance choice though?

why did you email them? To swap your replies you just need to ring UCAS.
Original post by PQ

Okay, I’ll call UCAS. I’m I also able to email ucas too?
Original post by PQ

i applied for my student finance and I put Canterbury with it, what will happen?
i applied for my student finance and I put Canterbury with it, what will happen?

you just need to amend that in your student finance profile, I did that the other day as I had originally put the uni of Liverpool but had to change it to uni of Sheffield

My friend called up ucas and got her firm and insurance swapped
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by totoro12345
My friend called up ucas and got her firm and insurance swapped

what happens with student finance? because i put canterbury with it as well.
what happens with student finance? because i put canterbury with it as well.

Once your sure about your university you log in to student finance and update your university/course information. Loads of people do this in August because they end up at a different university through clearing.
Original post by PQ
Once your sure about your university you log in to student finance and update your university/course information. Loads of people do this in August because they end up at a different university through clearing.

im still thinking of staying at canterbury, and the email they sent back was I should wait until results day.
so I don't know what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending