The Student Room Group

I chose the wrong A-Levels?!

Hi All,

I have just completed my first year of A-Levels (Y12) and am highly regretting the choices that I have made.

Originally, I wanted to study Medicine so I chose the combination of Biology, Chemistry, Maths - however now I am not wanting to do medicine.

When deciding my options after completing my GCSE's I strongly knew that my true passion was for English Literature.

It sparked an ambition and genuine love that I never experienced in any aspect of life before.

However, I did not choose this as an A-Level option (Huge Regret!)

I want to study English Literature at University - can I without the A-Level.

At GCSE level I achieved 100% (yes full marks) in both papers!

This probably made me the highest performing candidate in the subject in the entire United Kingdom and possibly one of the highest in history!

I do regret my choices!
Reply 1
I have just completed my first year of A-Levels (Y12) and am highly regretting the choices that I have made.

Originally, I wanted to study Medicine so I chose the combination of Biology, Chemistry, Maths - however now I am not wanting to do medicine.

When deciding my options after completing my GCSE's I strongly knew that my true passion was for English Literature.

It sparked an ambition and genuine love that I never experienced in any aspect of life before.

However, I did not choose this as an A-Level option (Huge Regret!)

I want to study English Literature at University - can I without the A-Level.

At GCSE level I achieved 100% (yes full marks) in both papers!

This probably made me the highest performing candidate in the subject in the entire United Kingdom and possibly one of the highest in history!

I do regret my choices!

Hi!
I doubt you would be able to do English at university with those subjects especially at a good Russell group uni, considering your abilities.

But, this is no problem! Jsut simply ask your college to retake first year. Ideally call them up now (they will be open even in summer holidays - or even go in on results day as they will defiantly be open then) and ask to retake first year with the subjects you like and explain the situation to them! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be firm with them as you seem definite in your decision so make sure you don’t let them tell you that you can’t as this is very much possible and it is easy to let a person of authority shut you down after one no (speaking from experience). You will be one year behind which to be honest dosent matter, I am on a gap year now and I am going to university this September and people go to univeristy at all ages it’s not really that big of a deal. Good luck and please don’t stress as this is a very easy fix! :smile: also #noregrets
Reply 2
@PQ any advice you can add here.

Quick Reply

Latest