The Student Room Group

Insurance choice and clearing

Hi,
Was curious about something, I’ve already submitted my uni choices and my firm and insurance choice. Say I got decent grades can I choose to go to another uni by clearing. Or say I get good grades and qualify for my firm choice but I’d rather go to my insurance can I go through clearing to go to that uni? Thing is now I’ve realised my firm choice is kind of a bit far and I don’t really wanna go anymore - it’s reading and I live in Surrey so it’s kind of a trek. Just wanted to see if clearing would be a good option to go other unis nearby like Surrey or royal Holloway which is my insurance choice. Kinda initially declined Surrey which is a regret though :/
Reply 1
Yes you can go through Clearing (or adjustment) to the uni of your choice as long as the course isn't oversubscribed
Reply 2
Original post by Maahi Rahman
Hi,
Was curious about something, I’ve already submitted my uni choices and my firm and insurance choice. Say I got decent grades can I choose to go to another uni by clearing. Or say I get good grades and qualify for my firm choice but I’d rather go to my insurance can I go through clearing to go to that uni? Thing is now I’ve realised my firm choice is kind of a bit far and I don’t really wanna go anymore - it’s reading and I live in Surrey so it’s kind of a trek. Just wanted to see if clearing would be a good option to go other unis nearby like Surrey or royal Holloway which is my insurance choice. Kinda initially declined Surrey which is a regret though :/

Maahi swr u went fullbrook?
Reply 3
Original post by AC28
Maahi swr u went fullbrook?

Who’s this ?
Hi,

You don’t have to wait and risk clearing.

If you’re not happy with your firm choice then ring ucas on Monday and ask to swap your replies. You can make your insurance your firm and pick another declined offer for a new insurance.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You don’t have to wait and risk clearing.

If you’re not happy with your firm choice then ring ucas on Monday and ask to swap your replies. You can make your insurance your firm and pick another declined offer for a new insurance.

U can do that ?
U can do that ?

Yes

Reply swaps are ok up until 21 July as long as all universities involved agree.
I have never known a university refuse to agree. I have known applicants run out of time waiting for the right member of staff at a university to notify ucas of their agreement before the 21st - that’s why it’s important to ring ucas first thing on Monday.
Reply 7
Hi,

Guildford is so boring though - why do you think Reading is 'too far' and 'a trek'? You should be loooking at the course content ...
Hi,

Hey there @Maahi Rahman !
I decided once I'd confirmed my insurance and firm choices that i'd much rather go to my insurance choice and it was around a similar time to when you're facing this issue. All I did was ring up UCAS and ask if it was possible to switch my insurance to my firm and then just pick another insurance choice. They said that they could switch that for me and let all universities know, the only thing I had to do was ring up my original firm choice and withdraw my accommodation application. Once I'd done that, it probably took around 3 working days for the change to show up on my UCAS and then my new firm university contacted me pretty soon after that to let me know how to apply for their accommodation and things to know before going there. I've not regretted switching my choices once and it was the best thing I personally could have done so if you're thinking about it then I say go for it!

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 9
I plan to commute to uni instead of doing accommodation, if I were to go to reading it’d be like a 40ish minute drive which isn’t too long but with traffic could be worse. Even with trains as well it’s like an 1hr journey then I’d have to catch a bus. to the uni. Just put me off wanting to go there really if that makes sense
Original post by Muttley79
Guildford is so boring though - why do you think Reading is 'too far' and 'a trek'? You should be loooking at the course content ...
Reply 10
That helped a lot thanks :smile:
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Maahi Rahman !
I decided once I'd confirmed my insurance and firm choices that i'd much rather go to my insurance choice and it was around a similar time to when you're facing this issue. All I did was ring up UCAS and ask if it was possible to switch my insurance to my firm and then just pick another insurance choice. They said that they could switch that for me and let all universities know, the only thing I had to do was ring up my original firm choice and withdraw my accommodation application. Once I'd done that, it probably took around 3 working days for the change to show up on my UCAS and then my new firm university contacted me pretty soon after that to let me know how to apply for their accommodation and things to know before going there. I've not regretted switching my choices once and it was the best thing I personally could have done so if you're thinking about it then I say go for it!

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
I plan to commute to uni instead of doing accommodation, if I were to go to reading it’d be like a 40ish minute drive which isn’t too long but with traffic could be worse. Even with trains as well it’s like an 1hr journey then I’d have to catch a bus. to the uni. Just put me off wanting to go there really if that makes sense

The course should be your focus. What is wrong with living at a uni? All the resources you need are to hand.
Reply 12
Nothing wrong with living at a uni, I initially did consider doing accommodation but wasn’t really my ideal preference in the end.
Original post by Muttley79
The course should be your focus. What is wrong with living at a uni? All the resources you need are to hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending