The Student Room Group

Law personal statement

I'm in Year 13 and I still haven't managed to find any good law specific work experience so I really need advice on what I should put in my personal statement as I'm hoping to apply to King's College London and SOAS.

In Year 12, I managed to go to an Eton College Summer School for Politics and I also went to a Business and Law work experience programme. I've also been to a humanities conference on English, History and Politics. I read with Year 7s every week too and I am planning on reading Law related books such as 'Letters to a Law student' and more family law books. I've done 3 online courses (MOOCS) on law: English Common Law, Law by Yale University, International Criminal law. I'm also planning on visiting the Old Bailey or the Royal Court of Justice to watch a trial. I'm currently doing an EPQ on family law - it''s on child online safety and how more legislation should be put in place to better protect children. I've signed up for a 'Transparency in Government' seminar at UCL too. Also, I have a receptionist job so I can also waffle about how this helps with my communication skills and so on.

Is this enough? I'm aware that a lot is going on but not all of it is entirely Law related, some of it has politics in it and my other work experience is just humanities based. My predicted grades meet the requirements but I don't have enough work experience so I'm quite worried that my personal statement won't be good enough for them. I'll be taking the LNAT soon and I know this impacts my application to KCL but how important is law specific work experience for my personal statement? The Business and Law work experience I attended only involved going to the Royal Court of Justice, watching half of a trial and talking to a paralegal.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by julianjoy
i'm in year 13 and i still haven't managed to find any good law specific work experience so i really need advice on what i should put in my personal statement as i'm hoping to apply to king's college london and soas.

In year 12, i managed to go to an eton college summer school for politics and i also went to a business and law work experience programme. I've also been to a humanities conference on english, history and politics. I read with year 7s every week too and i am planning on reading law related books such as 'letters to a law student' and more family law books. I've done 3 online courses (moocs) on law: English common law, law by yale university, international criminal law. I'm also planning on visiting the old bailey or the royal court of justice to watch a trial. I'm currently doing an epq on family law - it''s on child online safety and how more legislation should be put in place to better protect children. I've signed up for a 'transparency in government' seminar at ucl too. Also, i have a receptionist job so i can also waffle about how this helps with my communication skills and so on.

Is this enough? I'm aware that a lot is going on but not all of it is entirely law related, some of it has politics in it and my other work experience is just humanities based. My predicted grades meet the requirements but i don't have enough work experience so i'm quite worried that my personal statement won't be good enough for them. I'll be taking the lnat soon and i know this impacts my application to kcl but how important is law specific work experience for my personal statement? The business and law work experience i attended only involved going to the royal court of justice, watching half of a trial and talking to a paralegal.

It is enough
Reflect on those experiences
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by julianjoy
I'm in Year 13 and I still haven't managed to find any good law specific work experience so I really need advice on what I should put in my personal statement as I'm hoping to apply to King's College London and SOAS.

In Year 12, I managed to go to an Eton College Summer School for Politics and I also went to a Business and Law work experience programme. I've also been to a humanities conference on English, History and Politics. I read with Year 7s every week too and I am planning on reading Law related books such as 'Letters to a Law student' and more family law books. I've done 3 online courses (MOOCS) on law: English Common Law, Law by Yale University, International Criminal law. I'm also planning on visiting the Old Bailey or the Royal Court of Justice to watch a trial. I'm currently doing an EPQ on family law - it''s on child online safety and how more legislation should be put in place to better protect children. I've signed up for a 'Transparency in Government' seminar at UCL too. Also, I have a receptionist job so I can also waffle about how this helps with my communication skills and so on.

Is this enough? I'm aware that a lot is going on but not all of it is entirely Law related, some of it has politics in it and my other work experience is just humanities based. My predicted grades meet the requirements but I don't have enough work experience so I'm quite worried that my personal statement won't be good enough for them. I'll be taking the LNAT soon and I know this impacts my application to KCL but how important is law specific work experience for my personal statement? The Business and Law work experience I attended only involved going to the Royal Court of Justice, watching half of a trial and talking to a paralegal.

Hi there @julianjoy, those are really good experiences in my opinion and will be enough for your Personal Statement. Many students will not have done as much.

I think Universities appreciate that legal experience is quite hard to secure, especially before and during University. As law is quite competitive, many University students will have no experience in a legal industry either. For your personal statement, focus on these experiences and what you learnt from them.

Any transferable skills will be really good to, so your point about being a receptionist will be an advantage to your application.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Hey I’m also in year 13 and I know how you feel because everyone tells you that you don’t need experience but then everyone around you has been to like 500 work experiences lol. But if you really want work experience I urge you to sign up for uptree, although the work experiences are one day long they’re still something! There are a few top law firms you can access too like Allen and Overy. I flopped it in year 12 because I didn’t know how to answer the questions properly, but now I’m attending a law work experience on Wednesday so if you need help answering the questions I’ve got you :biggrin:!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending