The Student Room Group

The most prestigious college at Oxford University?

Merton? Magdalen? Christchurch?

Scroll to see replies

There no "prestigious" college at Oxford. Oxford itself is prestigious. Colleges are all Oxford uni. You learn the same exact thing as everyone doing your course even if they're at a different college. The only thing separating colleges are: location, accommodation, food, funding, size and cohort.
Original post by thegeek888

Magdalen and Christ Church are more iconic - probably what most people would think of as a quintessential Oxford college. Merton is very academic (and therefore prestigious?), and very beautiful too, but seems to be slightly off the radar. Is that a fair assessment?
Original post by Anonymous #1
There no "prestigious" college at Oxford. Oxford itself is prestigious. Colleges are all Oxford uni. You learn the same exact thing as everyone doing your course even if they're at a different college. The only thing separating colleges are: location, accommodation, food, funding, size and cohort.

That's not strictly true - yes, Oxford is prestigious whichever college you go to, but - take English as an example - the majority of teaching is in-college, so there are differences in texts studied, as well as workload and expectation. An English degree at a college like Merton (considered very academic) might therefore feel like harder work than one at another Oxford college, but the final degree you get will be worth exactly the same, whichever Oxford college you've studied at.

Also, prestige is a perception, not a fact, but it's like an urban myth - it spreads and takes on a life of its own until it is almost considered fact.
Reply 4
Trinity College Oxford has the lowest admissions percentage of Oxford undergraduate colleges. Large grounds may make it popular but its number of students is relatively low.
Merton College Oxford tends to get the best / amongst the best results, as do Magdalen, New College (despite its name, it's become the 9th oldest of the 39 colleges), and St John's, with Baliol just behind (spottier but perhaps more famous than many).

Christ Church is the third richest Oxford college.

Like some of the names mentioned, Worcester College also has a yearly and 3 yearly (commemoration) ball.
(edited 2 months ago)
Depends on what one means by prestige and what you're using to measure it. It's in the eye of the beholder! :iiam:

As a muso alumna, I'd say Magdalen, New or Christ Church because they're the choral foundation colleges :innocent: Others will argue for other colleges, as seen above
Regardless of which college you belong to as an Oxford undergraduate, you will end up with MA (Oxon) after your name if you complete your degree. Employers do not differentiate between colleges. Undergraduate and alumni chit-chat ranks colleges according to poshness, wealth, beauty, coolness, and so on, but the reality is that any college at Oxford is a good college. Each college has a distinct character, but most people become very fond of their colleges.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Stiffy Byng
Regardless of which college you belong to as an Oxford undergraduate, you will end up with MA (Oxon) after your name if you complete your degree. Employers do not differentiate between colleges. Undergraduate and alumni chit-chat ranks colleges according to poshness, wealth, beauty, coolness, and so on, but the reality is that any college at Oxford is a good college. Each college has a distinct character, but most people become very fond of their colleges.

All fair points (that I already knew) but you didn't really need to copy in my reply as if it was categorically 'wrong' when the the thread is 'The most prestigious college at Oxford University', with the implication usually being 'according to Oxford undergraduates'. But perhaps now is the time to say that my understanding is that Oxford students' affiliation to their own college and their gratefulness to be at Oxford at all may mean that which college is most prestigious doesn't frequently come in to their open thoughts. Any employer either won't know or shouldn't fairly care about the wealth of a college or the average degree results its students achieve. (anyway, wealth might just mean larger college and some applicants might prefer a smaller college, for its own benefits).The job applicant has already received their degree score by then - and it's from Oxford, a harder degree than many.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Picnicl
All fair points (that I already knew) but you didn't really need to copy in my reply as if it was categorically 'wrong' when the the thread is 'The most prestigious college at Oxford University', with the implication usually being 'according to Oxford undergraduates'. But perhaps now is the time to say that my understanding is that Oxford students' affiliation to their own college and their gratefulness to be at Oxford at all may mean that which college is most prestigious doesn't frequently come in to their open thoughts. Any employer either won't know or shouldn't fairly care about the wealth of a college or the average degree results its students achieve. (anyway, wealth might just mean larger college and some applicants might prefer a smaller college, for its own benefits).The job applicant has already received their degree score by then - and it's from Oxford, a harder degree than many.

I didn't mean to copy your post - that happened by accident- but you are perhaps being a tad sensitive. Nothing I wrote expressed or implied disagreement with or criticism of any other post in this thread. Peace, love and what not.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by thegeek888

I thought that you planned to apply to read law at Cambridge because you didn't like the Oxford law course, or am I mixing you up with another poster?
I thought that you planned to apply to read law at Cambridge because you didn't like the Oxford law course, or am I mixing you up with another poster?

You're not mixing them up :nah:
Reply 11

I am going to apply for Oxford to study a Law degree, as I have already emailed one of the admissions tutors for one of the most competitive colleges i.e. St. John's College, Oxford University. Around 40% of applicants for Law, get interviewed at other colleges. So I think Oxford has a better interview and shortlisting system. Also, shortlisting is overwhelmingly by LNAT score and essay score, for which I will be extremely well prepared.

I just wish, Oxford offered more optional modules, since Cambridge offers 14 papers and Oxford just 12, but if they 'reformed' the 9 exams at the end of the 3rd year, then they could offer also offer an extra 2 papers in year 2.
I suggest that you apply to a college that you like the feel of, preferably after visiting a selection of colleges, and don't worry about vague concepts such as the prestige of the college. There aren't any bad colleges. Oxford people may amuse themselves by caricaturing colleges other than their own, and gently mocking them, but this is all just banter, much like the rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge, which is essentially jocular.

The law course is what it is, and the Oxford law degree is regarded as one of the best in the world. Courses are reorganised every now and then, but you shouldn't bank on the course changing in the near future.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 13
I suggest that you apply to a college that you like the feel of, preferably after visiting a selection of colleges, and don't worry about vague concepts such as the prestige of the college. There aren't any bad colleges. Oxford people may amuse themselves by caricaturing colleges other than their own, and gently mocking them, but this is all just banter, much like the rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge, which is essentially jocular.

The law course is what it is, and the Oxford law degree is regarded as one of the best in the world. Courses are reorganised every now and then, but you shouldn't bank on the course changing in the near future.

This course is excellent, but I will need to save £2,000 or so?! 😀 lol

Oxford Introduction to Law in the UK Summer Programme | Faculty of Law
If you can't afford that course, or in any event, it might be a good idea to read Tom Bingham's excellent book "The Rule of Law" (if you have not done so already), along with one or more of the various short introductions to law published by the OUP and others, and the readable and interesting "Introduction To Roman Law" by Barry Nicholas. You could also listen to "Law In Action", and go to watch some civil and criminal hearings at the Royal Courts of Justice and some of the London Crown Courts, if you haven't already done that.

You don't really need to go on an intro to law course if you obtain a place to study law at a UK university.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 15
If you can't afford that course, or in any event, it might be a good idea to read Tom Bingham's excellent book "The Rule of Law" (if you have not done so already), along with one or more of the various short introductions to law published by the OUP and others, and the readable and interesting "Introduction To Roman Law" by Barry Nicholas. You could also listen to "Law In Action", and go to watch some civil and criminal hearings at the Royal Courts of Justice and some of the London Crown Courts, if you haven't already done that. You don't really need to go on an intro to law course if you obtain a place to study law at a UK university.

Yes, I have heard of "The Rule of Law" it is an excellent book, but I have not finished reading it. I will buy it next time I am in Piccadilly Waterstones, here in London, as they have a very good selection of all the textbooks on Undergraduate Law degree reading lists. Also, I will definitely check out "Introduction To Roman Law" by Barry Nicholas!!! 😀

I am sitting A-Level Maths in June 2025 next year, and in June 2026 Further Maths, German, Spanish and French and in June 2027 Chemistry (it will cost £1600 for the practicals) as well as the Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB) ICAEW.com exams and more in 2028. So I will almost be a qualified Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser by the time I apply in October 2027. Also, I will have enough to do all courses by then and also the Oxford Intro to Law course, as my parents said: "Prove you can get A*'s and A's in your A-Levels and we will pay for the rest of your courses." 🙂 So I am not worried, I will succeed ultimately.

I have been to my cousins Crown Court cases, who is a drug addict and has been in and out of prison several times in the last two decades. So I will go again to Snaresbrook Crown Court and most likely the Royal Courts of Justice too.

I have also decided firmly to apply to St. John's College, Oxford University for a Law degree in October 2027. 😉 I shall attend the Open Days in June and September 2026 and June and September 2027 too.

(edited 2 months ago)
Is there a reason why you are taking such a long and slow route to university entrance? Most people seeking a university place do three or four A levels or the IB in a two year period . Are you at school or a mature student? You appear to be adding delay and expense to your path. If you wish to practise law, you will have to do at least some postgraduate study and training, varying according to which type of lawyer you aim to become.

If you are good at maths and modern languages, you might consider a degree in one of those subjects followed by a Diploma in Law. I think that studying something you are interested in and likely to do well at is a good idea. I am not knocking law degrees, but the university years pass so quickly that it may be best to study the thing you like most and are best at, provided always that the subject is rigorous and academic.

The Waterstone's branch next to UCL is good for law books. That branch used to be Dillon's, the go-to book shop for London university staff and students for many decades. Waterstone's also now owns Blackwell's, the quintessential Oxford bookshop, which had itself taken over Heffer's, its Cambridge equivalent, some years ago.

Check out also Wildy's, the excellent law book shop on Carey Street, behind the Royal Courts of Justice and at the southern entrance to Lincoln's Inn (the shop is inside the archway that leads into the Inn).

St John's is a lovely college, but please don't fixate on one college. I reiterate that there are no bad colleges at Oxford, and people sometimes end up at colleges other than their first choice. Please also don't fixate on Oxford. If you can get in, great, but don't be downhearted if you don't get in. There are many excellent universities in the UK, and not getting into Oxford doesn't make a person a failure.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous #2
Magdalen and Christ Church are more iconic - probably what most people would think of as a quintessential Oxford college. Merton is very academic (and therefore prestigious?), and very beautiful too, but seems to be slightly off the radar. Is that a fair assessment?

Balliol??
Original post by vnayak
Balliol??

I was only commenting on the colleges the OP mentioned, but I think those three weren't a bad call. Not sure where Balliol would come in the list...
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous #2
I was only commenting on the colleges the OP mentioned, but I think those three weren't a bad call. Not sure where Balliol would come in the list...

Fairly high....I would say higher than Merton. I would say that the big three are Magdalen, Christ Church and Balliol.

For Cambridge, without doubt, Trinity, Kings and then it's course dependent (but I would say Jesus is quite popular so maybe Jesus?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending