The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elliekeieiieke
how did people do the plane displacement because i measured both lines but apparently you were meant to measure the like direct distance so almost like a hypotenuse. dk if that makes sense but i got something like 12.5 x 70

Fml you were damn it fudge I was confident about that too
Original post by Bilz38
guys was it at 1 minute or 5 minutes or 9 minutes and why?

Pretty sure 1 minute because that's when the surroundings are the coolest and so the rate of emission is highest.
Original post by ath2
what did you guys put for the protractor question?

The resolution of the protractor was 1, whereas his measurements were to 1 decimal place, which would have given rise to inaccuracy.
Original post by a.es.the.ti.c
Nooooo I got all these except for the initial velocity I got 0.5 I think all I remember is that I had (2.5)^2 - (initial velocity)^2 = 2x2x(forgot displacement think it was 6.5?m)

0.5 is correct.
Original post by LiliaCasburn
I just rambled about the split ring commutator rotating every half turn

The split-ring commutator doesn't turn; when people say the dynamo turns, they are referring to the entire thing (including the loop of wire). The key idea is that one side of the ring must always connect to the side going up:

1. Maximum potential when the wire is horizontal.
2. Side A of the wire moves up and side B moves down so the current flows in opposite directions.
3. As side A moves down through the wire, the current reverses direction, however it now connects to the other side of the split-ring commutator. Side B does likewise.
4. This means that the side going down is still connected to the same terminal, as is the side going up. This produces DC.
Reply 165
Original post by NoobyBlockington
The split-ring commutator doesn't turn; when people say the dynamo turns, they are referring to the entire thing (including the loop of wire). The key idea is that one side of the ring must always connect to the side going up:

1. Maximum potential when the wire is horizontal.
2. Side A of the wire moves up and side B moves down so the current flows in opposite directions.
3. As side A moves down through the wire, the current reverses direction, however it now connects to the other side of the split-ring commutator. Side B does likewise.
4. This means that the side going down is still connected to the same terminal, as is the side going up. This produces DC.

Does the current alternate in the coil but because it’s switched, it stays as a direct durent on the circuit connecting to the lamp?
Reply 166
Did we have to draw 4 peaks on the graph to be full marks?
Original post by Sbud
E shaped magnet was the first option I think of whichever one had both the lines going from the middle to the ends (North to souths)

Protractor:

The student had used decimal places but the resolution of the protractor was 1 degree, so it cant measure decimals making the results inaccurate

I said higher uncertainity
Original post by NoobyBlockington
0.5 is correct.

You sure? Because I think it was the wrong equation idk apparently I was supposed to use the other one
Reply 169
Original post by Sbud
My answers:

Initial velocity = 1.02

Freuency of radio wave = 2.4x10^9

Current in secondary coil = 1.5A

Force = 2500N (bumper)

Force = 21.6 (other one)

Magnetic flux density = 0.125T

Distance travelled by car in 5 sec = 52.5m

Mass of car = 1600kg

Atmospheric pressure = 24kPa

Displacement from diagram = 497m

Sketch of velocity time graph was a straight line from 10 seconds?

Aeroplane was travelling at a constant velocity (zero resultant force in a straight line)

Original post by Day Toy
guys I think that I've wrote down all the questions, feel free to compare the answer/ fill the answer, we can make an unofficial mark scheme
1. transverse - perpendicular [1]
2. Investigation of black body [6]
3. ticking box + explain - 1/9/10 mins and why[2]
4. use the graph to predict - 22.5 or sth i forgot [1]
5. Calculate the horizontal resultant force - 0 [2]
6. Explain the state of motion - travel at constant speed [1]
7. Draw the velocity-time graph from distance- time graph [2]
8. 2 conclusion of the table [2]
9. Conclusion of old + young, noisy + quiet [4]
10. How to use less force? Increase distance from pivot[1]
11. Protractor - why? Resolution of 1 and 0.1 - [2]
12. Conclusion of the table: angle of incident = angle of reflection [1]
13. Error and explaination of table : random, the student didn't fully trace the light ray[2]
14. Name of reflection on smooth surface = [1]
15. Why break temp increase [2]
16. Why the protection helps? [3]
17. Definition of 'closed system' [1]
18. Ticking the box: equation pressure = f/a
19. Define bouncy car using newton's second law - when the 2 cars collides, they exerts equal and opposite force against each other [1]
20. Why did light ray not refract? Because rays is perpendicular/90 towards the boundary [1]
21. Air into glass in terms of font wave [3]
22. Dynamic [5]
23. Draw for 2 rotates - graph with 4 little hills, all positive [1]
24. Why dynamic rotates easier? [3]
25. Name the thing orbiting planet - satellite[1]
26. Why how motion changes in terms of gravitational field strength - shorter the radius of orbit, stronger the gravitational attraction, to prevent being 'sucked into earth' the telescope orbits in a faster speed. [3]
27. Explain the red shift - both have red shift, means wavelength stretched so both moving away from the Sun, but A has bigger red-shift so is further and move away at a faster speed. [3]
28. Car mass = 1600kg [4]
29. Space calculation frequency = 2.4*10^9[ ]
30. Current in secondary coil = 1.5 [5]
31. Displacement graph = 7*70 = 490 [2]
32. Initial Velocity - 0.5 [5]
33. B = 0.125tesla [3]
34. Distance travel by car = 15*2+15*3/2=52.5 m [3]
35. Atmospheric pressure estimation = 23.5 [1]
36. 1500* (0.12*0.12)=21.6 [4]
37. Force of bumper car = I forgot the exact question [5]

Newtons 3rd law not 2nd
Reply 170
Original post by OhIt'sJustMe
Guys was it a split ring commutator? I just said it changes every half turn so current always travel in one direction I didn't mention anything about the brushes...

Also for the one where the rays refracted was it less optically dense so bent away from the normal????? I was lost

towards the normal as it is entering a denser medium
Reply 171
What topics actually came up
Original post by Sxnixx
What topics actually came up

Try reading the forum…

Latest

Trending

Trending