The Student Room Group

dropping one half of your joint honours

i am doing joint honours and one half is law. the law is challenging and will not make a difference to my future. i am only doing the law for security but i am wondering is it worth it- as i do not enjoy the subject and i cannot motivate myself for anything law related.
would really appreciate any advice!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi there,

I would consider if having the joint honours in Law is a requirement for your employment wishes in future, for example is it needed for a post University law qualification? If not, and you have little interest in pursing a career in Law then it might be logical to drop the Law part, if you think it will help you enjoy University more, and support you achieving a high grade.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by 07.aa
i am doing joint honours and one half is law. the law is challenging and will not make a difference to my future. i am only doing the law for security but i am wondering is it worth it- as i do not enjoy the subject and i cannot motivate myself for anything law related.
would really appreciate any advice!

Hello @07.aa
I have just finished my final year studying BA (Hons) History and Law. I did the law side out of interest and for a wider range but my main passion was History because that is what I want to teach - Starting a History PGDE in August.
From my experience some of the law classes were tougher as a BA student than it was for LLB students. You do need to be passionate about the classes and need the work ethic to learn the background stuff that you miss out learning in other law classes you do not take but other students do.
It is worth bearing in mind that BA law does not qualify you the same way an LLB does and so if you want to be a lawyer then you would need to do further studies.
There may be some jobs where your study in law will look attractive to employers whereas others will look only if you have a degree. It is definitely worth bearing this in mind. It would be a disservice to yourself if you would excel in your other subject and get a stronger degree if you swapped to single rather than pursue a joint which you aren't as committed to and would do badly in assignments.
Personally, as much as it was hard I do not regret completing a joint degree. By the time I was mid way in 3rd year I wanted my degree to state '& Law' and not 'with law' (where you major in one so only 40 credits to law and 80 to other rather then 60:60 split) because I wanted the hard work to mean something to me and be written on my certificate.
It is a decision that really only you can make so do take the time to weigh your options.
Catherine :-) Strathclyde Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 3
I binned my joint degree off after a month for a similar reason. It was easy to do, my other dept just signed a form saying they were happy to have me full time., There are sometimes time limits on these things though so you need to enquire sooner rather than later.
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
I binned my joint degree off after a month for a similar reason. It was easy to do, my other dept just signed a form saying they were happy to have me full time., There are sometimes time limits on these things though so you need to enquire sooner rather than later.

The time limit is a really good point. With the academic year coming to a close soon you might have to make a decision either way soon! I would advise consulting your course/school guide to check any deadlines :smile:

Reply 5
hi thanks for all the replies! I had a chat with my academic advisor and it reminded me of why i originally applied and although it is challenging having the choice of what I want to do next year with law will make a difference.
Original post by 07.aa
hi thanks for all the replies! I had a chat with my academic advisor and it reminded me of why i originally applied and although it is challenging having the choice of what I want to do next year with law will make a difference.

Hi there!

That is great to hear, it is always the best thing to get advice from those who know you, and the course etc well :smile: Glad to hear you are happy to continue on your current course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending