The Student Room Group

HNC Social science..

So I'm coming out of my comfort zone and doing an HNC n SOCIAL SCIENCE at the age of 26, most people my age have already completed PHDs or doctorates😂I had taken literally years to decide which subject to persue. I chose social sciences after concluding in my research that this could be a good choice considering the various degree options after it and being interested in most of the subjects the course entails. (just not politics 🙃) The thing I'm worried about is failing the course and wasting my time AGAIN as historically I've dropped out of 3 courses since the age of 17. I honestly think I will fail this course if I look at it from a logical standpoint. I'm kinda stupid, I never have seen myself as smart enough to gain a degree🙈I have heard the course contains lots of maths. I am not the best at maths, simple calculations sure, but when it gets complex it's a different story; although weirdly I do quite enjoy it. I always loved trying to figure things out and get answers. How much math is included in this course? I would also like to ask how one can study a joint honours degree with only one of the subjects as an HNC. I plan to study a joint honours in a social science and an arts subject (this is rich coming from someone who hasn't even started the Hnc) but I have big dreams. Not sure exactly if I'd need to get two HNCs, one in social science and one in an arts ...... Thanks, just seems it would take up more of my time. Wish me luck I am going to really need It 😂
I have just completed a HNC Social Sciences and I am hopefully going onto to study International Relations at University. The course is a really great option as a pathway to uni as it has given me a really wide range of knowledge and skills that will definitely be transferable. As for the maths part, in my college the only maths we were required to do was in the Research and Methodology module and parts of the Psychology module. The RM module only lasted one semester and the maths from it can all be easily explained in numerous YouTube videos (practice makes perfect). Psychology was a bit trickier when we had to complete our own research and data analysis but the lecturer was always happy to help. It definitely depends on what college you are completing it at but the maths is definitely a lot less daunting than it seems at the start. As for the joint honours, I’m not 100% sure how it works but I would assume that you would only need to complete one HNC and social sciences is a really versatile option for that. But the best solution would be to email the colleges/unis you are hoping to apply to for your degree and ask them to clarify their entry requirements for you. If you have any other questions I’d be happy to answer them as best as I can. I wish you all the best and believe in yourself, you’ve got this!!
Reply 2
Thank you! I will stay positive! Good to know the maths is only in one of the subjects. Where did you do your Hnc? I will be going to new college Lanarkshire :smile:
Sorry this is so late but I did mine at Perth College UHI.
Original post by HistoryFan96
Thank you! I will stay positive! Good to know the maths is only in one of the subjects. Where did you do your Hnc? I will be going to new college Lanarkshire :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending