The Student Room Group

If you could instantly become fluent in any foreign language which one would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by gjd800
Classical Tibetan

didnt knw it was a thing.
where was it spoken
JF ZAK
Reply 41
Original post by JF ZAK
didnt knw it was a thing.
where was it spoken
JF ZAK

In Tibet...
Original post by Talkative Toad
Can include English if English is not your first language.
I'm excluding languages as Lorem Ipsum, sarcasm, punning, slang, trolling etc
Only name one language 🤷🏾*♀️.

Arabic/Urdu
(edited 5 months ago)

I’d really like to speak German. It’s a cool language.
Reply 44

100% Arabic. It's such a beautiful and complex language that unlocks the biggest section of the world after English. It would also help me connect further with my religion
Reply 45

my answer is so basic, but definitely spanish/korean
Sinhalese: so that my parents can't ***** about me in a language I don't understand, pretty much in front of me :rofl:
Reply 47
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sinhalese: so that my parents can't ***** about me in a language I don't understand, pretty much in front of me :rofl:

oh damn, they do that? :///
Original post by lesego.s
oh damn, they do that? :///

Yeah they always speak English to each other except when they wanna ***** about us daughters, or try to marry one of us off :rofl:
Reply 49
Yeah they always speak English to each other except when they wanna ***** about us daughters, or try to marry one of us off :rofl:

would you allow that? getting into an arranged marriage?
Original post by lesego.s
would you allow that? getting into an arranged marriage?

My older sister didn't in the end, and my younger sister is dodging it as best she can. No one's trying to arranged marry me off coz I have psychosis :biggrin: (Which is fortunate coz I'm a lesbian but my dad doesn't know that :eek:)
Reply 51
My older sister didn't in the end, and my younger sister is dodging it as best she can. No one's trying to arranged marry me off coz I have psychosis :biggrin: (Which is fortunate coz I'm a lesbian but my dad doesn't know that :eek:)

ah, explains your profile photo.
well, i really hope you end up with whoever you want.

Innocence of these conversations can be such a blissful state compared with some of the alternatives. :laugh:

I think you are so much better off not being able to understand a word of the critical comments and matchmaking plots.
Never mind the element of parental grumbles tinged with obnoxious agendas or repetitions of the worst lies the backbiting malicious gossipers of the local community have been spewing for a few weeks/months/years.

Hopefully no "concerned friends of the family very worried about your age and academic/careerist/english lifestyle" will ever start providing the verbatim translations that mysteriously always seem to include whispered updates of the new directions the foulest gossipers have taken. :sigh:
I've always been amazed by the very uncanny knack these types of "concerned friends" have of accurately predicting all the new stuff that family members will be scheming or grumbling about in another language next week. :eek3:
With those type of 'see the future skills' they could all be earning themselves a fortune accumulating lottery wins or predicting the largest stock market rises & falls. :tongue:
defo Arabic
Spanish, german or mandarin.

Id be inclined to say Spanish just as it opens up a huge amount of the world work wise and I see myself more likely to stay & live in “the West” over mandarin which is very centralized on china.
Italian.
Dog. So I could speak with dogs.
Mandarin. Just because it has a huge number of speakers, and it looks like it would be the most difficult for me to actually try and learn manually.

It’s also very different from any of the languages I already know.
Original post by tazarooni89
Mandarin. Just because it has a huge number of speakers, and it looks like it would be the most difficult for me to actually try and learn manually.

It’s also very different from any of the languages I already know.

What languages do you know/can speak in?
What languages do you know/can speak in?

English (obvs), French, Spanish, Urdu and Hindi.

(Bits and pieces of Arabic and Japanese as well, but not enough to have a proper conversation. Can only just about read them.)

I think for most of the major languages that I don’t already know, (e.g. Portuguese) I at least know a language kind of close-ish to it (e.g. Spanish) that I could try and learn it if I wanted to. But Mandarin is probably the main one where I don’t stand much of a chance. Russian would probably be next on my list after that.

Quick Reply

Latest