The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 (7182/1) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
But for social influence there’s normally that pattern every year from 8, 16, 8, 16 and last year was 16 so this year according to the pattern should be 8. They could change it up though but that’s what’s happened
Original post by Pwca
AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 (7182/1) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 19th May 2023/ AM
Length: 2hr

Resources
AQA A-level Psychology

Original post by Mentor05
But for social influence there’s normally that pattern every year from 8, 16, 8, 16 and last year was 16 so this year according to the pattern should be 8. They could change it up though but that’s what’s happened

Idk how to start my own chat so just replying to this, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what they may ask about Zimbardo's experiment (8 or 16 marks). And if i need any contradicting research to this as I don't have any in my notes at the moment. Also what may come up on the psychopathology 16 mark question as I think that is going to come up.
Reply 42
For key studies like milgram, asch, van ijzendoorn and kroonenberg etc, do you HAVE TO remember the specifics, e.g percentages, number of participants? Will you lose marks if you don't, and you only talk about the general idea
Reply 43
Original post by f.mansfield
Idk how to start my own chat so just replying to this, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what they may ask about Zimbardo's experiment (8 or 16 marks). And if i need any contradicting research to this as I don't have any in my notes at the moment. Also what may come up on the psychopathology 16 mark question as I think that is going to come up.

probs just 'discuss zimbardo research in conformity' for 8 markers or 16, idk how they could make it complex

contradicting research, how about the fact that it isn't entirely reliable and lacks external validity due to some individuals realising the aim of the study and basing their character off stereotypes (mohavedi suggested) eg // 1 guard based his 'character' off a person in the movie 'cool hand luke' so can't generalise etc etc

and psychopathology honestly idk, i dont think there was one last year so defo one will come up this year, i think just check the last few years of papers n see what they havent asked yet
Was wondering if anyone has a link or website to more exam papers? I’ve already done all the past papers from 2021 - 2017
Reply 45
Original post by s.c.a.r.l.e.t.t
Tips for time management?? currently i'm about 10 marks off an A just because i end up running out of time and barely completing any of the last section of each exam, even though i know the answers. All i've been told so far is that i need to speed up but a 16 marker with 3 evaluation points is taking me nearly 30 minutes to get done and i feel like i would lose too many marks if i were to only do two a03s. I've practiced a lot but I don't feel like i can physically write any quicker and get all the other questions done so if anyone has any tips please lmk :smile:

Wrap your hand in a bandage and tell the invigilator you fell down the stairs this morning and you’ve sprained your wrist. They should give you 25 minutes extra (no I’m not joking)
Reply 46
Original post by anon-.-
probs just 'discuss zimbardo research in conformity' for 8 markers or 16, idk how they could make it complex

contradicting research, how about the fact that it isn't entirely reliable and lacks external validity due to some individuals realising the aim of the study and basing their character off stereotypes (mohavedi suggested) eg // 1 guard based his 'character' off a person in the movie 'cool hand luke' so can't generalise etc etc

and psychopathology honestly idk, i dont think there was one last year so defo one will come up this year, i think just check the last few years of papers n see what they havent asked yet

I think if they do ask about zimbardo it will probably be to describe the procedure (6 marks) or to evaluate an ethical issue (4/8 marks). I’ve got this feeling that they will ask for variations in asch study (16 marker). Also probably even the dispotsitional explanation for obedience (authoritarian personalities) and short questions on types of conformity (ao2). Also AQA have recently been leaning towards more application based questions!! Hope this helps😁
Original post by eskimo2018
For key studies like milgram, asch, van ijzendoorn and kroonenberg etc, do you HAVE TO remember the specifics, e.g percentages, number of participants? Will you lose marks if you don't, and you only talk about the general idea

i definitely think knowing the number of pps is vital as it could help with your evaluation if you're ever stuck on what to write

with the % i think if its within 2% of the actual % then it should be fine but u definitely need that number. if its something like 12.8% (for example) i would just round it to the nearest whole number lol but if u can remember than then im sure u could remember 12.8%
Reply 48
What are the psychopathology researchers you guys have looked at, apart from beck and ellis obv
Reply 49
Hey, what evaluation points can you usually apply to most studies?
Reply 50
Original post by eskimo2018
Hey, what evaluation points can you usually apply to most studies?

For psychopathology when you explaining phobias OCD and depression you can say that the explanations have real world application because they’ve been used to develop treatments. And then for treating phobias you can say that treatments have been developed from explanations meaning there’s some validity etc etc
hey- has anyone got any idea of the best way I can mark my own psychology essays? I find it absolutely impossible to figure out what I'd get out of 16 from the mark scheme alone, and I can't send all to my teachers. are there any good resources or ways I can try and get a better way of knowing what mark I'd get ? atm I'm just picking a mark randomly lol and it's pretty bad
Original post by fatt_Uni1129
hey- has anyone got any idea of the best way I can mark my own psychology essays? I find it absolutely impossible to figure out what I'd get out of 16 from the mark scheme alone, and I can't send all to my teachers. are there any good resources or ways I can try and get a better way of knowing what mark I'd get ? atm I'm just picking a mark randomly lol and it's pretty bad

if you copy the question into google there's usually some model answers come up like it might link you to studocu and websites like that which have full answers you can compare to thats what i usually do :smile:
Original post by amxzing_grxce
Was wondering if anyone has a link or website to more exam papers? I’ve already done all the past papers from 2021 - 2017

try doing the old unit a and b ones from the past spec because they have some similar questions (they have them on physics and maths tutor)
Reply 54
Contrasting research is the BBC prison experiment where Reicher and Haslam did a similar study. They found that the prisoners were able to take control of the guards, unlike Zimbardo's where after the prisoners rebelled the guards came back stronger. The guards in the BBC one were humilliated and harrassed by the prisoners. They think it was due to the fact that the prisoners could develop a shared social identity whereas the guards couldn't.

For psychopathology, my teacher thinks it'll be on either cognitive explanation for depression or CBT and REBT as last year the depression content was cut from the spec due to covid, so they haven't asked it in a while

Original post by f.mansfield
How many marks do you think i'd get for this as a 16 marker because i'm currently only having time to do two chunky eval paragraphs without running out of time on the rest of the questions or is it worth me losing time for an extra evaluation

Outline and evaluate the working memory model (16 marks)

The working memory model was proposed by Baddeley and Hitch to account for some of the limitations of the multistore model, suggesting that short-term memory is an active process and contains multiple stores rather than a single unitary one as originally suggested.

The central executive controls the WMM and directs attention to one of three slave systems.It is thought to have a limited capacity and is only able to deal with one strand of information at a time. The phonological loop deals with auditory information and is made up of the phonological store, which holds the words we hear and the articulatory process, which allows for maintenance rehearsal of acoustic information. It has a limited capacity of around what can be said in 2 seconds for each item. The visuo-spatial sketchpad stores and manipulates visual and spatial information. It is further divided into the visual cache, which stores passive form and colour , and the inner scribe, which holds relationships between objects and 3d space. It is thought to have a capacity for around 4 items.

The episodic buffer was added later in response to criticism, acting as a general store for both acoustic and visual information. It's main purpose, is to integrate information from the other components, time stamp it, and transfer it to long-term memory.

A strength of the working memory model is that studies of dual task performance support the separate existence of the visuospatial sketch pad and phonological loop. When Baddeley et al's participants carried out a visual and verbal task at the same time (dual task), their performance on each was similar to when they tried to carry out the task separately. But when both tasks were visual , participants asked to track moving lights and describe angles of letter F, performance on both declined substantially. This is because both visual tasks compete for the same slave subsystem, whereas there is no competition when performing a verbal and visual task together. This shows there must be a separate slave system (the visual spatial sketch pad) that processes visual input and one for verbal processing, the phonological loop, each with a limited capacity.

Although, critics have suggested that there is a lack of clarity over the Central executive. Baddeley states this is the most important part of the model and yet the least understood - For example, some psychologists believe it may consist of separate components. Esslinger & Damasio studied patient EVR who after undergoing brain surgery was unable to make even the simplest decisions but could reason, both of which are functions of the central executive. Such research suggests that the WMM remains incomplete and that more research needs to be conducted to further investigate the structure of the central executive.
Reply 56
Original post by s.c.a.r.l.e.t.t
How many marks do you think i'd get for this as a 16 marker because i'm currently only having time to do two chunky eval paragraphs without running out of time on the rest of the questions or is it worth me losing time for an extra evaluation

Outline and evaluate the working memory model (16 marks)

The working memory model was proposed by Baddeley and Hitch to account for some of the limitations of the multistore model, suggesting that short-term memory is an active process and contains multiple stores rather than a single unitary one as originally suggested.

The central executive controls the WMM and directs attention to one of three slave systems.It is thought to have a limited capacity and is only able to deal with one strand of information at a time. The phonological loop deals with auditory information and is made up of the phonological store, which holds the words we hear and the articulatory process, which allows for maintenance rehearsal of acoustic information. It has a limited capacity of around what can be said in 2 seconds for each item. The visuo-spatial sketchpad stores and manipulates visual and spatial information. It is further divided into the visual cache, which stores passive form and colour , and the inner scribe, which holds relationships between objects and 3d space. It is thought to have a capacity for around 4 items.

The episodic buffer was added later in response to criticism, acting as a general store for both acoustic and visual information. It's main purpose, is to integrate information from the other components, time stamp it, and transfer it to long-term memory.

A strength of the working memory model is that studies of dual task performance support the separate existence of the visuospatial sketch pad and phonological loop. When Baddeley et al's participants carried out a visual and verbal task at the same time (dual task), their performance on each was similar to when they tried to carry out the task separately. But when both tasks were visual , participants asked to track moving lights and describe angles of letter F, performance on both declined substantially. This is because both visual tasks compete for the same slave subsystem, whereas there is no competition when performing a verbal and visual task together. This shows there must be a separate slave system (the visual spatial sketch pad) that processes visual input and one for verbal processing, the phonological loop, each with a limited capacity.

Although, critics have suggested that there is a lack of clarity over the Central executive. Baddeley states this is the most important part of the model and yet the least understood - For example, some psychologists believe it may consist of separate components. Esslinger & Damasio studied patient EVR who after undergoing brain surgery was unable to make even the simplest decisions but could reason, both of which are functions of the central executive. Such research suggests that the WMM remains incomplete and that more research needs to be conducted to further investigate the structure of the central executive.

i'd say 6/6 for ao1, u used all the main points to gain all of those marks so well done, then ur evaluations r fully developed, u could cut down on the methodology for baddeley cause it can save u time to write another Eva, plus ur only using it as ao3, so the specifics dont rly matter, what matters is how it links to wmm, its good u have a strength n weakness too, both views r v good, i'd give u a level 3 for that which is around 12 marks i think !! just try squeeeeze in some tiny eva at the end if u have time in the exam, if not ur still performing well cus u can lose up to 35 marks for an A
Reply 57
can anyone mark this? i spend around 22 mins not sure if its enough ao2

One behavioural approach to treating phobias is systematic desensitization. Systematic desensitization assumes that all phobias are learned through expereince, so it suggests that they can be unlearned, counterconditioned, through classical conditioning. During the first session the therapist and client will work together to create an anxiety hierarchy of the phobia with the least fearful stimulus at the bottom and the most fearful at the top. The therapy takes multiple sessions and the patient will work to associate deep relaxation with each stage of the hierarchy, this is recipricol inhibition, replacing a response with another response. This happens until the most fearful stage no longer creates a fear response.

Flooding is also a behavioural therapy which assumes that phobias are learnt. This therapy takes 1 2/3 hour long session. The phobic stimulus is experienced at its worst whilst the patient practices deep relaxation techniques. This continues until the relaxation response and phobic stimulus have been associated through classical conditioning. Often, the patient runs out of energy to perform the fear response so becomes exhausted and gives up.

The behavioural approach to treating phobias can be praised for its effectiveness. These therapies have been proven to be effective in reducing phobia symptoms, and even fully curing them. Specifically, research by Choy et al found that systematic desensititization is 75% effective in treating phobias and the other 25% have a reduction in the severity of symptoms. Nonetheless, they also found that flooding is more effective than systematic desensitisation, so individuals who want a quick fix have an option. This is positive as it suggests the behavioural approach to treating phobias has been beneficial to people’s mental healths.

However, the treatments can be criticised for not being able to treat all types of phobias. This approach assumes that all phobias are learned, specifically classical conditioning. However, systematic desensitisation and flooding both have been found to not work for evolutionary phobias. This includes fear of the dark or heights, phobias which have a evolutionary aspect that is beneficial for survival, but no longer necessary in modern society. This is negative as it shows that the behavioural approach to treating phobias is limited to simple phobias and more research is required.

Also, it can be said that an issue with the behavioural approach to treating phobias is the major ethical issues. Flooding involves directly confronting the phobic stimulus at its worst, which may create excessive anxiety for the patient even though alternative therapies that cause less stress are possible. For example putting a person with a fear of small spaces in a small room may be seen as unethical. There is a lack of protection from harm, even with systematic desensitization where the exposure is gradual. It may cause long lasting psychological trauma rather than improve the phobia. This is a problem as the treatments may go against the ethical code of conduct.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 58
Can anyone recommend if in the exam I start with 16 markers, the smaller mark questions or just in order? im struggling with time management
Original post by mxl3433
Can anyone recommend if in the exam I start with 16 markers, the smaller mark questions or just in order? im struggling with time management

I always start with the 16 markers and then do the shorter questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending