The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 (7182/1) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Hi, thanks for the help with structuring the anxiety ewt essay, it has helped a lot!:smile:

One other question, when evaluating the Monotropic theory (Bowlby's theory) do you think I can point to the limitation of the Critical period with evidence from Koluchova (1976), I know that this is more of a marternal deprivation issue, but I feel like I can manipulate the point for this topic as well.
Original post by bunting0
AO1:
Define anxiety and eyewitness testimony
Anxiety has a negative effect on eyewitness testimony (Johnson and Scott)
Anxiety has a positive effect on eyewitness testimony (Yuille and Cutshall)
(These studies would both be AO1)

A03:
-Yerkes Dodson law
-Pickel and weapon focus effect due to unusualness
-Lack of control in field studies
-Ethical issues e.g. deception, psychological harm
Reply 81
Original post by Millieliddle3
Hi, thanks for the help with structuring the anxiety ewt essay, it has helped a lot!:smile:

One other question, when evaluating the Monotropic theory (Bowlby's theory) do you think I can point to the limitation of the Critical period with evidence from Koluchova (1976), I know that this is more of a marternal deprivation issue, but I feel like I can manipulate the point for this topic as well.

yes u can
Original post by elloell
Does anyone have evaluation they can share for the definitions of abnormality, I'm worried it will come up as a big question?

For the abnormality definitions i find it it good to go through a list of things you can evaluate about them:
1. Are they replicable? (will the diagnosis be the same including over TIME)
2. Are they valid? (do they provide the correct diagnosis)
3. Do they risk social sensitivity?
4. Do they have validity or reliability across cultures?

For example, for the deviation from social norms definition, it's not replicable because social norms are a matter of interpretation and change over time, it's also not valid because societal norms often disprove of things that are not abnormal (think homosexuality). Also, it has issues across cultures because social norms change across cultures and so diagnoses are not reliable from one place to another.
Reply 83
anyone else feeling insanely burnt out? i need an A too so im starting to get a bit nervous lol,
Reply 84
Does anyone know if we have to use numbers from studies to get marks? E.g. Nestadt et al found 68% concordance rate in OCD for MZ twins and 31% for DZ twins. Or can we just say MZ twins concordance rate was higher than DZ twins.
(edited 11 months ago)
i think numbers are more detail so higher marks but not for small studies- nestadt is an important one so yes

Original post by skalp002
Does anyone know if we have to use numbers from studies to get marks? E.g. Nestadt et al found 68% concordance rate in OCD for MZ twins and 31% for DZ twins. Or can we just say MZ twins concordance rate was higher than DZ twins.
Reply 86
can you be asked to compare learning and monotropic theory? what would u say
Reply 87
Original post by user927401

I think a compare question is more likely to be in paper 2 in approaches
Reply 88
Original post by user927401

they have already asked about those a few years ago
Reply 89
Original post by rostom1680
i think numbers are more detail so higher marks but not for small studies- nestadt is an important one so yes

So do you think Yuille and Cutshall, Johnson and Scott and the speed for Loftus and Palmer are important?
Reply 90
guys just need some help

for memory there's a lot more like, studies to provide a point, how can i put this as an ao1 to get 6/6 marks? like, do i need to still describe the methology as i would with idk ainsworth strange situation, but then again ainsworth study contributed to psychology as a whole, memory studies r only supporting a predetermined fact ygm? idk im confused
(edited 11 months ago)
Do you guys think having both a gender bias and a culture bias paragraph for evaluation is too much? 2/4 paragraphs on that.
Reply 92
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Do you guys think having both a gender bias and a culture bias paragraph for evaluation is too much? 2/4 paragraphs on that.

no cus u can apply it to legit everything so its good if u ever forget smthin
Original post by anon-.-
no cus u can apply it to legit everything so its good if u ever forget smthin

Yh I was thinking for Asch you can get 2 nice paragraphs for culture and gender bias that are pretty detailed
Reply 94
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Yh I was thinking for Asch you can get 2 nice paragraphs for culture and gender bias that are pretty detailed

exactlyyy and when its detailed it gets u top band, its a win win
Original post by skalp002
So do you think Yuille and Cutshall, Johnson and Scott and the speed for Loftus and Palmer are important?

dont learn the speeds just remember that the difference between 'contacted' (verb which produced lowest average estimations of speed) and 'smashed' (verb which produced highest estimations of speed) was 8.7mph (you can just learn the difference for studies instead of 2 separate percentages)
Reply 96
Original post by rostom1680
dont learn the speeds just remember that the difference between 'contacted' (verb which produced lowest average estimations of speed) and 'smashed' (verb which produced highest estimations of speed) was 8.7mph (you can just learn the difference for studies instead of 2 separate percentages)

Ah okay thanks
Reply 97
hi guys, im a bit anxious currently because my uni offer is on the basis of my getting an A in psyc, so does anyone have any tips for me? idk what to do
Reply 98
Original post by anon-.-
hi guys, im a bit anxious currently because my uni offer is on the basis of my getting an A in psyc, so does anyone have any tips for me? idk what to do

hey!! don't stress, you're gonna do great. with this little time left until the exam, the best thing is to do is exam questions! keep doing them, mark them and do them again. i'd also recommend trying "SaveAll", it''s a website/app that tests you on your knowledge with flaschards, using active recall techniques. based on 2019 grade boundaries you need around 68% to get an A. to memorise AO3 points- my best tip is to use GRAVE and SCOUT. GRAVE is for evaluating studies : generalisability, reliability, applicability, validity, ethical issues. SCOUT is for theories: supporting evidence, contradicting evidence, opposing theories, usefulness, testability. when in the exam, think of these to help jog your memory when you're stuck for AO3 points! also- don't rely on this but if its any peace of mind, based on 2019 grade boundaries it was 181/288 marks for an A, meaning you can drop one whole exam's worth of marks and still do well. don't stress yourself out, you got this!
Reply 99
Original post by Millieliddle3
Hi, I need some help structuring one of my 16 maker essays. I've heard that anxiety affecting EWT is quite likely to show up, so wanted to have one planned.

So far this is what I am aiming to do:

A01 Para 1: Johnson and Scott (1976)- Negative Effect (I can write a lot about this study and go into weapon focus etc.)

A03 Para 2: Contradict previous study with Yuille and Cutshall (1986)- Positive Effect (Not sure if I should use this as A01 or A03, so please help me here)

A01 Para 3: Yerkes and Dobson Law to explain contradicting evidence

A03 Para 4: Deffenbacher's meta-analysis to support Inverted-U theory

A03: Limitation of Johnson and Scott- so use Pickel's (1988) findings

A03: Limitation of Yuille and Cutshall- post-event discussion etc.

Do you think this layout would be enough to get full marks in A01, I am unsure whether I should use Yuille and Cutshall as A01 or A03. :smile:

Hey, this looks great but I would say: for 16 markers, AO1 is never any more than 6 marks, and 3 marks in an 8 marker. Don't overthink your AO1, write one or two paragraphs for it, including how anxiety can have neg effects (johnson and scott) and pos effects (yuille and cutshall), then finish off with yerkes-dodson law. the reason yuille and cutshall shouldn't be AO3 is because it is technically part of the AO1, you are outlining studies into the effects of anxiety on eyewitness testimony. your AO3 looks great, it might be worth adding in a 4th point if you can think of one or if you think you're able to write 4 in good timing, but usually 3-4 well developed points is good! good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending