The Student Room Group

Heeeeelp I'm stuck again PLS

heyy, stupid question, but if I have 9+2x on the numerator of my second fraction, and my second fraction is negative, do I do a or b.
let's assume my first fraction numerator is a, and both denominators are the same

a) a/2 - (9+2x)/2 = ( a -9 + 2x ) /2
b) (a - 9 - 2x ) /2

Is the whole of the second numerator made negative if it has more than 1 term? I swear it is, but you know when you just start thinking too hard and then you undo your understanding? Yeah, oops
Reply 1
Original post by CatInTheCorner
heyy, stupid question, but if I have 9+2x on the numerator of my second fraction, and my second fraction is negative, do I do a or b.
let's assume my first fraction numerator is a, and both denominators are the same

a) a/2 - (9+2x)/2 = ( a -9 + 2x ) /2
b) (a - 9 - 2x ) /2

Is the whole of the second numerator made negative if it has more than 1 term? I swear it is, but you know when you just start thinking too hard and then you undo your understanding? Yeah, oops

You should use brackets on the numerator to make it clear and avoid mistakes:

a29+2x2=a(9+2x)2\displaystyle \frac{a}{2} - \frac{9+2x}{2} = \frac{a-(9+2x)}{2}

a(9+2x)=a92xa-(9+2x) = a-9-2x

So b) is the right answer.
Original post by Notnek
You should use brackets on the numerator to make it clear and avoid mistakes:

a29+2x2=a(9+2x)2\displaystyle \frac{a}{2} - \frac{9+2x}{2} = \frac{a-(9+2x)}{2}

a(9+2x)=a92xa-(9+2x) = a-9-2x

So b) is the right answer.

Thank youuuu, I know it's such a basic question but I genuinely thought about it for 3 minutes and completely lost all my brain cells :adore:
Reply 3
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Thank youuuu, I know it's such a basic question but I genuinely thought about it for 3 minutes and completely lost all my brain cells :adore:

I sometimes think schools place too much emphasis on thinking and understanding for some tasks - this is one of those instances where if you've practised fractions for hours on end for GCSE it shouldn't be possible to write down the wrong answer because it should almost be "rote learning" like 9 x 7 = 63. As you say, the more you think about it, the more likely you are to think there's something complicated going on when there isn't!

(Having said this, I was looking at a mechanics question on here the other day where a measurement was given as 4cm and the mark scheme had converted it into 0.04 (i.e. SI units), and I was thinking "surely 4cm is just 0.4m", which it totally isn't. I just don't do enough numeracy these days :biggrin: )

Quick Reply

Latest