The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Psychology Paper 2 (7182/2) - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Does anyone have a 16 marker plan for the psychodynamic approach? It's my least favourite of the approaches, thanks :smile:
P Freud's methods of investigation lack scientific rigour

E Freud based his theory on mainly unconscious concepts such as the id and the Oedipus complex, which makes them difficult if not impossible to test

E - according to the philosopher of science Karl Popper, this makes Freud's theory pseudoscientific, as his key ideas cannot be falsified through empirical testing so the approach does not meet the scientific criterion of falsification

L this reduces the reliability and scientific credibility of psychodynamic approach (since concepts cannot be tested)

- less scientific than other approaches such as Behaviourist Approach which focuses on the objective study of external, outwardly observable behaviour

P Freud's use of the case study method has been criticised

E his theory was based on the intensive study of single individuals who were often in therapy, such as Little Hans

E although Freud's observations were detailed and carefully recorded, critics have suggested that it is not possible to make such universal claims about human nature based on such a limited sample of atypical individuals

eg stages of psychosexual development

especially since patients were all from his Viennese society- conclusions can't be generalised + would not be applicable to other cultures (culture bound)

- his interpretations were also highly subjective- for example in the case of Little Hans=unlikely that any other researcher would have drawn the same conclusions : researcher bias may been at play

L reduces reliability and scientific credibility of psychodynamic approach

P the approach is based on psychic determinism

E psychodynamic approach explains all behaviour as driven and determined by unconscious conflicts rooted in childhood

- even something as apparently random as a 'slip of the tongue' is driven by unconscious forces and has deep symbolic meaning

E this is an extreme, inflexible hard-determinist stance and suggests free will may have no influence on behaviour

- may be less comprehensive than other approaches such as SLT which emphasises reciprocal determinism

(we are influenced by our environment, but we also exert an influence upon it through the behaviours we choose to perform)

which suggests there is some free will in the way we behave and recognises role we play in shaping our own environment: more realistic than psychodynamic

L reduces explanatory power of psychodynamic approach

P real life applications

E Freud's theory resulted in a new form of therapy- psychoanalysis

- psychoanalysis is based on the approach' assumptions: designed to access the unconscious mind using a range of techniques such as hypnosis and dream analysis

- it is the forerunner to many modern-day psychotherapies that have since been established

E this is a strength as it shows that the psychodynamic approach real value as the psychotherapies it's principles have led to and are still used to treat patients today

L increases usefulness
Original post by bunting0
Does anyone have a 16 marker plan for the psychodynamic approach? It's my least favourite of the approaches, thanks :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by anon-.-
guys how can i maximise my marks for this paper it needs to be my saving grace

me too man :/ wat on earth was paper 1 ?!?!?
Original post by bunting0

I'm still wiping tears from this mornings paper 1 but we just have to get on with it :s-smilie:.

AO1:
- Iceberg analogy: conscious, preconscious, unconscious (briefly explain each)
- Structure of personality: Id, ego, superego (again just briefly explain each and how they have a dynamic interaction)
- The psychosexual stages and how they determine adult personality - Oral, anal, phallic, latency, genital + maybe ages they occur in for extra detail if you're feeling it
- Incestuous feelings towards mother due to oedipus complex (fixation at phallic stage) + how it's resolved by identification with father.
-Defence mechanisms used by ego to reduce anxiety - repression, denial, displacement.

AO3:
Strength: Introduced psychoanalysis - talk about how it's done and waffle how it has real world application since it helps people.
Strength: explanatory power - how it explains range of behaviours which are influenced from childhood and how they affect adult personality
Limitation: Untestable concepts - doesn't meet falsification criterion, eg: oedipus complex occurs at unconscious level so can't be measured.
Limitation: based on psychic determinism - doesn't take into account free will.

Hope this helps
Reply 44
nah because i need an A for uni so im stressing real bad
We need to get 48/48 on rm. This will be the most devious come back trust
Original post by colinnzcool
me too man :/ wat on earth was paper 1 ?!?!?
Reply 46
Original post by Pineapplesapples

HOW. im rly scared cause idk, idk how to get better at rm and i neeeed this comeback urgently i will sacrifice my mental health at this rate
(edited 11 months ago)

YESS ACADEMIC COMEBACK - aqa really playing games ugh
Reply 48
Original post by anon-.-
nah because i need an A for uni so im stressing real bad

me too man, and i absolutely flopped this morning's paper
Reply 49
Original post by Eluke173
me too man, and i absolutely flopped this morning's paper

i calculated we needed 63/96 for this paper
Reply 50
I'm still wiping tears from this mornings paper 1 but we just have to get on with it :s-smilie:.

AO1:
- Iceberg analogy: conscious, preconscious, unconscious (briefly explain each)
- Structure of personality: Id, ego, superego (again just briefly explain each and how they have a dynamic interaction)
- The psychosexual stages and how they determine adult personality - Oral, anal, phallic, latency, genital + maybe ages they occur in for extra detail if you're feeling it
- Incestuous feelings towards mother due to oedipus complex (fixation at phallic stage) + how it's resolved by identification with father.
-Defence mechanisms used by ego to reduce anxiety - repression, denial, displacement.

AO3:
Strength: Introduced psychoanalysis - talk about how it's done and waffle how it has real world application since it helps people.
Strength: explanatory power - how it explains range of behaviours which are influenced from childhood and how they affect adult personality
Limitation: Untestable concepts - doesn't meet falsification criterion, eg: oedipus complex occurs at unconscious level so can't be measured.
Limitation: based on psychic determinism - doesn't take into account free will.

Hope this helps

Original post by rostom1680
P Freud's methods of investigation lack scientific rigour

E Freud based his theory on mainly unconscious concepts such as the id and the Oedipus complex, which makes them difficult if not impossible to test

E - according to the philosopher of science Karl Popper, this makes Freud's theory pseudoscientific, as his key ideas cannot be falsified through empirical testing so the approach does not meet the scientific criterion of falsification

L this reduces the reliability and scientific credibility of psychodynamic approach (since concepts cannot be tested)

- less scientific than other approaches such as Behaviourist Approach which focuses on the objective study of external, outwardly observable behaviour

P Freud's use of the case study method has been criticised

E his theory was based on the intensive study of single individuals who were often in therapy, such as Little Hans

E although Freud's observations were detailed and carefully recorded, critics have suggested that it is not possible to make such universal claims about human nature based on such a limited sample of atypical individuals

eg stages of psychosexual development

especially since patients were all from his Viennese society- conclusions can't be generalised + would not be applicable to other cultures (culture bound)

- his interpretations were also highly subjective- for example in the case of Little Hans=unlikely that any other researcher would have drawn the same conclusions : researcher bias may been at play

L reduces reliability and scientific credibility of psychodynamic approach

P the approach is based on psychic determinism

E psychodynamic approach explains all behaviour as driven and determined by unconscious conflicts rooted in childhood

- even something as apparently random as a 'slip of the tongue' is driven by unconscious forces and has deep symbolic meaning

E this is an extreme, inflexible hard-determinist stance and suggests free will may have no influence on behaviour

- may be less comprehensive than other approaches such as SLT which emphasises reciprocal determinism

(we are influenced by our environment, but we also exert an influence upon it through the behaviours we choose to perform)

which suggests there is some free will in the way we behave and recognises role we play in shaping our own environment: more realistic than psychodynamic

L reduces explanatory power of psychodynamic approach

P real life applications

E Freud's theory resulted in a new form of therapy- psychoanalysis

- psychoanalysis is based on the approach' assumptions: designed to access the unconscious mind using a range of techniques such as hypnosis and dream analysis

- it is the forerunner to many modern-day psychotherapies that have since been established

E this is a strength as it shows that the psychodynamic approach real value as the psychotherapies it's principles have led to and are still used to treat patients today

L increases usefulness

Thank you both so much this is really helpful :smile:
Original post by anon-.-
HOW. im rly scared cause idk, idk how to get better at rm and i neeeed this comeback urgently i will sacrifice my mental health at this rate

Don't even deep it that much fr, just try to use your time wisely and really understand the content because remember understanding>memorising
Reply 52
Don't even deep it that much fr, just try to use your time wisely and really understand the content because remember understanding>memorising

how dyu approach research methods
I just don't lol
Original post by anon-.-
how dyu approach research methods
Reply 54
Hi everyone, hope paper 1 went well for you all? I personally loved it - cant see myself dropping below 90%.
Just curious on A03 for the approaches. I like to memorise A01 and A03 for all topics as if you are to get a lower marked question then you can cut it accordingly. But, I'm struggling to try and think of effective evaluation as unlike paper 1 you cannot really say research support into (x) and then counter it. Any advice/examples would be great :smile:
Original post by tonkzs-
Hi everyone, hope paper 1 went well for you all? I personally loved it - cant see myself dropping below 90%.
Just curious on A03 for the approaches. I like to memorise A01 and A03 for all topics as if you are to get a lower marked question then you can cut it accordingly. But, I'm struggling to try and think of effective evaluation as unlike paper 1 you cannot really say research support into (x) and then counter it. Any advice/examples would be great :smile:

https://quizlet.com/gb/772506908/approaches-flash-cards/?funnelUUID=613528df-396d-4cdb-b47b-dbf76f5c396a

my flashcards with everything + 4 evals for every approach :smile:

i love u and i hope you find your exams well
Original post by tonkzs-

BRO the paper was good but i forgot about a section and then had a brain blank and tried to do 2 16 markers in 20 mins so yh
didnt do well
Reply 58

omg life saver ily
GUYS does anyone have a plan for a 16 marker on the cognitive approach, would be very very appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending