The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Psychology Paper 2 (7182/2) - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Neymarswho1730
Predictions for biopsychology?

maybe biological rhythms? correct me if im wrong but I think they last came up in a big way in like 2018 and maybe again in 2020, they're my least fav tbh
Original post by Elsieviolet
with revising research methods: this is what i did for paper one
i copied and pasted the spec onto a word document and made each point like content analysis or randomisation, a bullet point in the list
i identified the ones that i didn't know and topics that have been predicted and highlighted them and revised those first
once i had revised them, i copied the spec list into a random name generator and would test myself on each one, trying to identify an evaluation point as well.
if i couldn't answer the question i would watch a video (psych boost) but NOT MAKE NOTES, after the video had finished i then blurted onto a piece of paper about the topic. then check the video to see if its correct . if it comes up again and i forget it again i would do the same but write it on a flashcard as well.
seems like a long method but it was soooooooo helpful for paper 1

here's the edited list (with tick boxes :u:)
- [ ] Experimental method. Types of experiment, laboratory and field experiments; natural and quasi-experiments.
- [ ] Observational techniques. Types of observation: naturalistic and controlled observation;
- [ ] covert and overt observation;
- [ ] participant and non-participant observation.
- [ ] Self-report techniques. Questionnaires;
- [ ] interviews, structured and unstructured.
- [ ] Correlations. Analysis of the relationship between co-variables. The difference between correlations and experiments.
- [ ] Content analysis.
- [ ] Case studies.
- [ ] Aims: stating aims, the difference between aims and hypotheses.
- [ ] Hypotheses: directional and non-directional.
- [ ] Sampling: the difference between population and sample; implications of sampling techniques, including bias and generalisation.
- [ ] sampling techniques including: random, systematic, stratified, opportunity and volunteer;
- [ ] Pilot studies and the aims of piloting.
- [ ] Experimental designs: repeated measures, independent groups, matched pairs.
- [ ] Observational design: behavioural categories; event sampling; time sampling.
- [ ] Questionnaire construction, including use of open and closed questions; design of interviews.
- [ ] Variables: manipulation and control of variables, including independent, dependent, extraneous, confounding; operationalisation of variables.
- [ ] Control: random allocation and counterbalancing, randomisation and standardisation.
- [ ] Demand characteristics and investigator effects.
- [ ] Ethics, including the role of the British Psychological Society’s code of ethics; ethical issues in the design and conduct of psychological studies; dealing with ethical issues in research.
- [ ] The role of peer review in the scientific process.
- [ ] The implications of psychological research for the economy.
- [ ] Reliability across all methods of investigation. Ways of assessing reliability: test-retest and inter-observer; improving reliability.
- [ ] Types of validity across all methods of investigation: face validity, concurrent validity, ecological validity and temporal validity. Assessment of validity. Improving validity.
- [ ] Features of science: objectivity and the empirical method; replicability and falsifiability; theory construction and hypothesis testing; paradigms and paradigm shifts.
- [ ] Reporting psychological investigations. Sections of a scientific report: abstract, introduction, method, results, discussion and referencing.
- [ ] Quantitative and qualitative data; the distinction between qualitative and quantitative data collection techniques.
- [ ] Primary and secondary data,
- [ ] meta-analysis.
- [ ] Descriptive statistics: measures of central tendency mean, median, mode;
- [ ] calculation of mean, median and mode; measures of dispersion; range and standard deviation;
- [ ] calculation of range;
- [ ] calculation of percentages;
- [ ] positive, negative and zero correlations.
- [ ] Presentation and display of quantitative data: graphs, tables, scattergrams, bar charts, histograms.
- [ ] Distributions: normal and skewed distributions; characteristics of normal and skewed distributions.
- [ ] Analysis and interpretation of correlation, including correlation coefficients.
- [ ] Levels of measurement: nominal, ordinal and interval.
- [ ] Content analysis and coding.
- [ ] Thematic analysis.
- [ ] the sign test. When to use the sign test; calculation of the sign test.
- [ ] Probability and significance: use of statistical tables and critical values in interpretation of significance;
- [ ] Type I and Type II errors.
- [ ] Factors affecting the choice of statistical test, including level of measurement and experimental design. When to use the following tests: Spearman’s rho, Pearson’s r, Wilcoxon, Mann-Whitney, related t-test, unrelated t-test and Chi-Squared test.
Original post by izzy4509x
maybe biological rhythms? correct me if im wrong but I think they last came up in a big way in like 2018 and maybe again in 2020, they're my least fav tbh

No I think you’re right, I was thinking that they tested localisation of brain function and hemispheric lateralisation a lot in the past papers I saw so hopefully they don’t come up
LMFAOOO honestly tsr's predictions were horrible for paper 1. I acc can't believe u guys fully believed role of father would come up as a 16 marker 😭😭

people are saying brain plasticity and recovery, even my teachers, since there's never been a 16 marker on it. if you look far enough in the forum someone posted more predictions
Original post by brysontiller2.0
LMFAOOO honestly tsr's predictions were horrible for paper 1. I acc can't believe u guys fully believed role of father would come up as a 16 marker 😭😭

but they actually predicted anxiety on EWT would come up, i dont think i saw anyone talking abt role of the father ;(

any of the rhythms!!! never been assessed as a 16 marker
Reply 87
Original post by Elsieviolet
here's the edited list (with tick boxes :u:)
- [ ] Experimental method. Types of experiment, laboratory and field experiments; natural and quasi-experiments.
- [ ] Observational techniques. Types of observation: naturalistic and controlled observation;
- [ ] covert and overt observation;
- [ ] participant and non-participant observation.
- [ ] Self-report techniques. Questionnaires;
- [ ] interviews, structured and unstructured.
- [ ] Correlations. Analysis of the relationship between co-variables. The difference between correlations and experiments.
- [ ] Content analysis.
- [ ] Case studies.
- [ ] Aims: stating aims, the difference between aims and hypotheses.
- [ ] Hypotheses: directional and non-directional.
- [ ] Sampling: the difference between population and sample; implications of sampling techniques, including bias and generalisation.
- [ ] sampling techniques including: random, systematic, stratified, opportunity and volunteer;
- [ ] Pilot studies and the aims of piloting.
- [ ] Experimental designs: repeated measures, independent groups, matched pairs.
- [ ] Observational design: behavioural categories; event sampling; time sampling.
- [ ] Questionnaire construction, including use of open and closed questions; design of interviews.
- [ ] Variables: manipulation and control of variables, including independent, dependent, extraneous, confounding; operationalisation of variables.
- [ ] Control: random allocation and counterbalancing, randomisation and standardisation.
- [ ] Demand characteristics and investigator effects.
- [ ] Ethics, including the role of the British Psychological Society’s code of ethics; ethical issues in the design and conduct of psychological studies; dealing with ethical issues in research.
- [ ] The role of peer review in the scientific process.
- [ ] The implications of psychological research for the economy.
- [ ] Reliability across all methods of investigation. Ways of assessing reliability: test-retest and inter-observer; improving reliability.
- [ ] Types of validity across all methods of investigation: face validity, concurrent validity, ecological validity and temporal validity. Assessment of validity. Improving validity.
- [ ] Features of science: objectivity and the empirical method; replicability and falsifiability; theory construction and hypothesis testing; paradigms and paradigm shifts.
- [ ] Reporting psychological investigations. Sections of a scientific report: abstract, introduction, method, results, discussion and referencing.
- [ ] Quantitative and qualitative data; the distinction between qualitative and quantitative data collection techniques.
- [ ] Primary and secondary data,
- [ ] meta-analysis.
- [ ] Descriptive statistics: measures of central tendency mean, median, mode;
- [ ] calculation of mean, median and mode; measures of dispersion; range and standard deviation;
- [ ] calculation of range;
- [ ] calculation of percentages;
- [ ] positive, negative and zero correlations.
- [ ] Presentation and display of quantitative data: graphs, tables, scattergrams, bar charts, histograms.
- [ ] Distributions: normal and skewed distributions; characteristics of normal and skewed distributions.
- [ ] Analysis and interpretation of correlation, including correlation coefficients.
- [ ] Levels of measurement: nominal, ordinal and interval.
- [ ] Content analysis and coding.
- [ ] Thematic analysis.
- [ ] the sign test. When to use the sign test; calculation of the sign test.
- [ ] Probability and significance: use of statistical tables and critical values in interpretation of significance;
- [ ] Type I and Type II errors.
- [ ] Factors affecting the choice of statistical test, including level of measurement and experimental design. When to use the following tests: Spearman’s rho, Pearson’s r, Wilcoxon, Mann-Whitney, related t-test, unrelated t-test and Chi-Squared test.

I hate research methods there's sooo much :frown::frown:
Original post by hanabehrami
Can someone please help with Sperry's split brain research findings, i dont get it.

basically. He looked at ppl who had a surgery which severed the corpus callosum
this is how the 2 hemispheres (sides) of the brain communicate
so these ‘split-brain’ participants allowed him to see the extent to which certain functions are LATERALISED- controlled by one half , because the 2 half can’t communicate
also important to remember things you see in the left visual field are processed in the right hemisphere
things seen in the right visual field are processed in the left hemisphere- the opposite
the left hemisphere controls language
So when they saw something in their right visual field, they could verbally describe what they saw, bc it’s processed by the left hemisphere - language
when they saw something in their left visual field, they couldn’t say what it was but they could pick out a similar object from a selection of objects
this is because it was processed in the right visual field which doesn’t have language centres- in normal brains the corpus callosum allows the info to be transferred to the left side which is why normal brain people could say what’s in either visual field
Reply 89
Original post by sticklobster
speed run seneca, and if you suck at graphs draw a lot of graphs cause they're easy marks

im on seneca rn. do you get good marks in RM by using seneca
Reply 90
im spending all day on RM man need to maximise my marks for my grade ffs
Reply 91
Original post by orangeamy05
very relatable all my answers were kind of just wishy washy

1000% agree w you lot - the paper wasn't "hard" it's just I'm sure most of us were expecting different questions so we couldn't go into as much depth as we would've liked
Original post by ssana.khz
im on seneca rn. do you get good marks in RM by using seneca

yea, my marks aren't amazing but they're better than what they were in y12, which is good considering RM is my worst topic by far, but it's also that RM requires a lot of application which i struggle with so i suggest using practice questions alongside seneca. seneca gives you the info and allows u to memorise definitions and strengths and weaknesses, and u should apply that info by doing practice questions
Reply 93
guys should I still revise content analysis? or should I not bother doing it considering they did so much of it in paper 1?
Reply 94
can we get 16m on just functional recovery?
Reply 95
Original post by k19xo
guys should I still revise content analysis? or should I not bother doing it considering they did so much of it in paper 1?

yhhh just not as much
Reply 96
Need full marks on this paper to get an A* because of that atrocious paper 1, the questions weren’t bad I just wasn’t well so zoned out aha. Genuinely think I got like 30 marks in paper 1 😭 Research methods is going to save me I know it!! Going of the 2018 boundaries because they're the highest ones, best to be safe although I think 2018 is more likely.
Reply 97
Original post by k19xo

Guys at this point don't eliminate anything. They could ask it! It's a short topic and we still have time until Thursday
Do any of you have tips for remembering ultradian vs infradian rhythms? Can't for the life of me remember which is which lol!
Reply 99
Original post by Mentor05
Need full marks on this paper to get an A* because of that atrocious paper 1, the questions weren’t bad I just wasn’t well so zoned out aha. Genuinely think I got like 30 marks in paper 1 😭 Research methods is going to save me I know it!! Going of the 2018 boundaries because they're the highest ones, best to be safe although I think 2018 is more likely.

2017 is higher than 2018

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending