The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Someone please help!

Hi,

I’m currently in my fourth year doing accounting and finance at Strathclyde. From 1-3rd year I have got a first. I was always good at doing exams etc. so last semester I had a module and in my first assignment I got 65%. My first exam was on the 5th December. A week before my first exam my mums sister tried to kill herself, I failed the exam but passed the overall class because of the 65%. I only told my dissertation supervisor. In my next exam I got 58. When the marks came out for last semester I got 47 and 58. Then for my next semester, I had another two modules and a dissertation to do. On the 1st of January I found my auntie. I have been really stressed since. I had a metholdogy assignment due which was part of my dissertation. When the mark came back for this I got 52%. I then asked the lecturer who marked it if I could do it again considering what had happened and they said no, but I should submit the death certificate to personal circumstances. I submitted the death certificate around the start of march as I didn’t want to ask my mum for the death certificate. Since then I have been grieving really bad and been to well-being meetings at the uni. In one class I am sitting at 66% and the other 52%. I have also submitted my dissertation. My aunties life insurance wouldn’t pay out either as it was suicide and nobody had any money to pay for the funeral, and that was around the time of getting the 52% module. I’m really stressed and I feel like dropping out. My grad job also requires me to get a 2:1 and I just feel like giving up.

Basically what I’m asking is, what does the personal circumstances mean? I can’t re sit anything as it’s my last year so I just don’t know what happens with the exam board or anything. If I ended up with overall 55% would it get taken up?

Any help would be appreciated x
Original post by Dbee988
Hi,

I’m currently in my fourth year doing accounting and finance at Strathclyde. From 1-3rd year I have got a first. I was always good at doing exams etc. so last semester I had a module and in my first assignment I got 65%. My first exam was on the 5th December. A week before my first exam my mums sister tried to kill herself, I failed the exam but passed the overall class because of the 65%. I only told my dissertation supervisor. In my next exam I got 58. When the marks came out for last semester I got 47 and 58. Then for my next semester, I had another two modules and a dissertation to do. On the 1st of January I found my auntie. I have been really stressed since. I had a metholdogy assignment due which was part of my dissertation. When the mark came back for this I got 52%. I then asked the lecturer who marked it if I could do it again considering what had happened and they said no, but I should submit the death certificate to personal circumstances. I submitted the death certificate around the start of march as I didn’t want to ask my mum for the death certificate. Since then I have been grieving really bad and been to well-being meetings at the uni. In one class I am sitting at 66% and the other 52%. I have also submitted my dissertation. My aunties life insurance wouldn’t pay out either as it was suicide and nobody had any money to pay for the funeral, and that was around the time of getting the 52% module. I’m really stressed and I feel like dropping out. My grad job also requires me to get a 2:1 and I just feel like giving up.

Basically what I’m asking is, what does the personal circumstances mean? I can’t re sit anything as it’s my last year so I just don’t know what happens with the exam board or anything. If I ended up with overall 55% would it get taken up?

Any help would be appreciated x

Hey @Dbee988, I'm so sorry to hear everything you've been through lately :frown: You've definitely had a few really challenging few months and coupled with your last year at University that's really tough.

The Personal Circumstances evidence means that the exam boards can take the additional information provided in to consideration where it's needed. You've done the right thing by uploading this as your lecturer advised. I'd strongly recommend booking an advising appointment with the SBS team so that you can chat to your advisors about the process and they can provide some clarity. If you email [email protected] they'll be able to help with this. I'm not sure anyone would be able to say for sure right now what would happen if you didn't get the grade you're aiming for, and they won't be able to guarantee the grade would be taken up, but meeting with them should be able to give some reassurance.

Please do PM me any time if there's anything you'd like to chat about Wishing you loads of luck going forward :hugs:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending