The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jesicasabau..
anyone have any predictions?
i feel like refraction, y1 decay and momentum are gonna come up

In my opinion, potential predictions are a futile way to cope with exams. It is worth it to focus on your weakest topics, revise as much as you can and try your best, but I would say do NOT try and predict things. Essentially all it does it create a belief in your head that, as your good on topic x, y and z that haven't come up in a while you will be fine. When you open that test and see none of those topics, your panicking. Great example was the recent GCSE English paper, predictions on that failed miserably and a lot of people suffered.
Original post by Grizzly4
In my opinion, potential predictions are a futile way to cope with exams. It is worth it to focus on your weakest topics, revise as much as you can and try your best, but I would say do NOT try and predict things. Essentially all it does it create a belief in your head that, as your good on topic x, y and z that haven't come up in a while you will be fine. When you open that test and see none of those topics, your panicking. Great example was the recent GCSE English paper, predictions on that failed miserably and a lot of people suffered.

hmmm yea that makes sense then, thank you !!
Original post by Grizzly4
This person only knows how to speak facts ^^^
Reply 43
if the grade boundaries return to anything near 2019 them im screwed :s-smilie: 60 for an A and 70 for an A* is too high
Reply 44
Original post by imfinshed.
if the grade boundaries return to anything near 2019 them im screwed :s-smilie: 60 for an A and 70 for an A* is too high

agreed, idek how anyone gets over 80% for an a star
Reply 45
ok so guys, we obviously have minimal time, seems like no one here quite understands electricity fully so here's my workflow for the next 5 days:
1.) I've printed AS p1s aswell as A level p1s (AS is same diffucly but good thing is these questions are more novel to me than the same old repetive A level past papers minus circular and shm motion), will do as many paper 1s physically and mark with red pen + notes inside (so I could review the past paper pile I accumulate 2 days before)
2.) for electricity do isaacphysics(c1, c2, attempt to understand c3, maybe start with p3), seems like if you grasp kirchoffs law (especially 2nd) and potential dividers it becomes easier
3.)waves is absolutely hugeee as a topic so do it with more focus (P&M tutor 2016-2021 question paper sheet and perhaps extra attention to written questions (hate those))

ofc flash cards,
please let me know if there could be improvement in the efficiency of this workflow, decrease effort, or any additional tips or strategies
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 46
Original post by tony00005
genuinely, numbers just appear outta nowhere in the mark schemes and most video solutions dont help. one of the papers a few years ago only had 4 marks worth of electricity questions in the whole written part so that again would be great

there's a wham amount of electricity ppqs on PMT I did them and it rly helped, also learn the potential divider formula if u havent as its v useful
Reply 47
Original post by CodeX420
ok so guys, we obviously have minimal time, seems like no one here quite understands electricity fully so here's my workflow for the next 5 days:
1.) I've printed AS p1s aswell as A level p1s (AS is same diffucly but good thing is these questions are more novel to me than the same old repetive A level past papers minus circular and shm motion), will do as many paper 1s physically and mark with red pen + notes inside (so I could review the past paper pile I accumulate 2 days before)
2.) for electricity do isaacphysics(c1, c2, attempt to understand c3, maybe start with p3), seems like if you grasp kirchoffs law (especially 2nd) and potential dividers it becomes easier
3.)waves is absolutely hugeee as a topic so do it with more focus (P&M tutor 2016-2021 question paper sheet and perhaps extra attention to written questions (hate those))

ofc flash cards,
please let me know if there could be improvement in the efficiency of this workflow, decrease effort, or any additional tips or strategies

We have plenty of time, we have just under 5 days which is many many thousands of seconds
Reply 48
Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 16.40.12.png Literally just started the first page of PMT questions and already lost. Markscheme says that the current changes when the voltmeter position changes but why would the current in both resistors change if the resistors are in series. wouldn't the current be the same everywhere?
I hate electricity:mad:

Spoiler

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 16.40.12.png Literally just started the first page of PMT questions and already lost. Markscheme says that the current changes when the voltmeter position changes but why would the current in both resistors change if the resistors are in series. wouldn't the current be the same everywhere?

Spoiler

hmmm i just attempted the question myself,
I said that you know the voltmeter has resistance as well and when you put it in parallel with a greater resistance (640 ohm resistor) then the combined resistance is also greater (1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rtot rule)
So the total resistance in your circuit has changed due to the voltmeter’s new position.
If the resistance has increased then we know the circuit’s current is decreased as R is inversely proportional to I. That means because the current is smaller, the voltage will also be smaller as it passes through it.
The overall current in a circuit can change depending on its overall resistance, but the emf/voltage from a fixed battery can’t be changed!!
I hope this makes sense :smile:
pls correct me if i’ve made any mistakes !!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 50

Spoiler

well, I got stuck on this question too, don't beat yourself up over it! electricity can be weird asl,

but lets think about this, in the question we are told that the voltmeter is not perfect- it has its own resistance (I think around 300ohms, not sure). so well now, you can just model the voltmeter as a resistor itself:Screenshot 2023-05-19 192310.png

,you can guess that putting the 300ohms resistor on the 640 resistor when before it was attached with the 320ohms will mean that the current in the junction is different, as they are now "different circuits", so the current changes in the junction, also the ratio of p.d. dropped along them has changed with it too (ratio of p.d in junction compared to resistor outside junction before and after)

given the current changes (because we have changed the arrangment of the circuit) the resistance will also change (you can imagine the 1/R rule to add resistance in parallel (it is not the same now), so we can't just add the p.d of a junction the new circuit with the p.d of a junction in old circuit before.
so mark scheme: the ratios of p.d's across all the resistors changed, since the circuit changes, and hence current changes - would not add up to emf.

idk if I made sense but I'm in a hurry
Reply 51
hmmm i just attempted the question myself,
I said that you know the voltmeter has resistance as well and when you put it in parallel with a greater resistance (640 ohm resistor) then the combined resistance is also greater (1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rtot rule)
So the total resistance in your circuit has changed due to the voltmeter’s new position.
If the resistance has increased then we know the circuit’s current is decreased as R is inversely proportional to I. That means because the current is smaller, the voltage will also be smaller as it passes through it.
The overall current in a circuit can change depending on its overall resistance, but the emf/voltage from a fixed battery can’t be changed!!
I hope this makes sense :smile:
pls correct me if i’ve made any mistakes !!

I thought when you increase resistance of one of the resistors in a parallel circuit, it decreases the parallel circuit's overall resistance
Reply 52
Original post by Bo77 Tman
We have plenty of time, we have just under 5 days which is many many thousands of seconds

yes, it may seem that way, but trust me, you wouldn't notice it, its been 3.5 years already since 2020, 5 days is indeed minimal time lol, what is your game plan for exams right now, ibr its looking long for me
There's only a few things I don't want to come up on the paper to be honest, if they do they do but I'd prefer not to answer anything about them;

Single slit refraction (I know it's easy, but I much prefer double slit)

Couples

Projectile Motion

Force-Extension graphs (Simple, but annoying and take some time to think about in an exam hall)

Internal resistance

Everything else is pretty bearable, majority of things that may come up we have the formula sheet for.

For anyone getting worked up about the exam: Just remember you only need about 30 marks to get a C, which is still a pass.

Good luck to everyone, really hoping this paper is nice aha
Original post by Josh2304
I thought when you increase resistance of one of the resistors in a parallel circuit, it decreases the parallel circuit's overall resistance

yea i thought that too but if you check ur calculator it’s not true

for example:
(1/100 + 1/10)*-1 = 9.1
(1/2 + 1/10)*-1 = 1.7

the 10 ohm resistor in this case is constant
when you use the 100 ohm resistor instead of the 2 ohm one you get a larger overall value.

idk maybe i’m bugging i can’t tell
yea i thought that too but if you check ur calculator it’s not true

for example:
(1/100 + 1/10)*-1 = 9.1
(1/2 + 1/10)*-1 = 1.7

You're not bugging, it's just a weird equation. Majority of the time questions about parallel resistance like that will be an explain rather than calculation, but you have the time to perform a calculation if necessary. If it's multiple choice, just follow your equation like no tomorrow and you'll be fine.
Rp = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2)
Putting into context:
Let R1 = 50
Let R2 = 100

Rp = 1/(1/50 + 1/100), or 1/(3/100), following rules of fractions:
Rp = 100/3 = 33.333 recurring ohms.

However, let's increase the voltage of R1 to be 75 Ohms.

Rp = 1(1/75 + 1/100), or 1/(7/300), following rules of fractions:
Rp = 300/7 = 42.9 Ohms (3s.f)
In parallel; an increase in resistance will increase the overall circuit resistance, and as R is inversely proportional to I, will decrease.
Original post by TristanTaylor06
You're not bugging, it's just a weird equation. Majority of the time questions about parallel resistance like that will be an explain rather than calculation, but you have the time to perform a calculation if necessary. If it's multiple choice, just follow your equation like no tomorrow and you'll be fine.
Rp = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2)
Putting into context:
Let R1 = 50
Let R2 = 100

Rp = 1/(1/50 + 1/100), or 1/(3/100), following rules of fractions:
Rp = 100/3 = 33.333 recurring ohms.

However, let's increase the voltage of R1 to be 75 Ohms.

Rp = 1(1/75 + 1/100), or 1/(7/300), following rules of fractions:
Rp = 300/7 = 42.9 Ohms (3s.f)
In parallel; an increase in resistance will increase the overall circuit resistance, and as R is inversely proportional to I, will decrease.

life saver fr fr
Reply 57
Original post by CodeX420
yes, it may seem that way, but trust me, you wouldn't notice it, its been 3.5 years already since 2020, 5 days is indeed minimal time lol, what is your game plan for exams right now, ibr its looking long for me

I need to do more past papers. I’ve only done one so far. Will hopefully do at least two tomorrow and then I’ll be on track
Reply 58

Spoiler

don’t worry, even science shorts called it a stupid question
Reply 59
Original post by TristanTaylor06
There's only a few things I don't want to come up on the paper to be honest, if they do they do but I'd prefer not to answer anything about them;

Single slit refraction (I know it's easy, but I much prefer double slit)

Couples

Projectile Motion

Force-Extension graphs (Simple, but annoying and take some time to think about in an exam hall)

Internal resistance

Everything else is pretty bearable, majority of things that may come up we have the formula sheet for.

For anyone getting worked up about the exam: Just remember you only need about 30 marks to get a C, which is still a pass.

Good luck to everyone, really hoping this paper is nice aha

I am aiming for at least a C that is slightly comforting. I was doing some multiple choice and was averaging 17/25.
(edited 11 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending