The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by EloraPuff
I am aiming for at least a C that is slightly comforting. I was doing some multiple choice and was averaging 17/25.

Mate, I HAVE to get an A this year 😬, so hoping I've got this clutched, doing good on waves so far aswell as written, electricity long form questions are where my confidence is being tested, aswell as perhaps some kinematics questions but will hopefully complete all the past papers by wednesday (and most importantly get time to review them) I don't know what else to do except just this
Original post by samrii
don’t worry, even science shorts called it a stupid question

Really?
Reply 62
Original post by Talkative Toad
Really?

Yes haha, skip to 29:36
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rLh7ziFU6r4
Do we have to know the required practicals for paper 1?
Original post by username6172672
Do we have to know the required practicals for paper 1?

Not all of them. For paper one you should be aware of:

Diffraction practicals (Young's Single and Double Slit)

Fluorescent Tube (More of an AS topic but can still come up)

Variable Resistor (Resistivity)

Refraction practical (The one with the block and you find angles iirc)

Line/Emission spectra practicals (Or atleast the appreciation for how they work)

Pendulum / SHM Practicals

note I may have missed a few, please quote me if you know of any others.

You won't be asked for a method as that is paper 3 content, but you will be expected to know the effects of the variables.
Take the double slit practical, if the distance between the slits changes you need to know how that can affect calculations of orders and the maximum index. A lot of it can be done by following the equations but you'll need to know this information anyway for paper 3 so might as well know it for paper 1.
(edited 11 months ago)

Thanks for sharing the video we me :smile:
Reply 66
Any tips for approaching the more word-heavy, 6-mark questions? I never seem to know how many points are enough to get all the marks.
Original post by riiya25
Any tips for approaching the more word-heavy, 6-mark questions? I never seem to know how many points are enough to get all the marks.

Practice practice practice. Underline anything in the question that is relevant to the answer and try to mention it somewhere. Any chance you can give an example on a 6 marker? Going through the 2022 paper now and I'm not seeing any to really help explain
Reply 68
Original post by TristanTaylor06
Practice practice practice. Underline anything in the question that is relevant to the answer and try to mention it somewhere. Any chance you can give an example on a 6 marker? Going through the 2022 paper now and I'm not seeing any to really help explain

This question for example, the hardest part for me is linking the different laws of motion with each stage of the ball's motion.
Reply 69
I have done all the A-Level past papers for paper 1 and im doing the AS paper 1s now as they are the same content. Is this worth it? Because i feel like the questions are alot easier, but its still practicing the relevant content. Also i have no idea if the AS paper 2s would be worth it because they seem to have more paper 3 style practical questions.
Original post by riiya25
This question for example, the hardest part for me is linking the different laws of motion with each stage of the ball's motion.

Immediately I notice the fact that the ball is instantly entering the oil, so my first point of contact would be to explain how N1 decreases the acceleration until we reach terminal velocity. Something along the lines of
"In the instant that A enters the oil, the oil applies a resultant force to A to cause it to decelerate until terminal velocity is reached. This is evidenced by the curve on the graph, as N1 states that for an object to experience a change in velocity requires an external force to act upon it, in this instance from the ball."

Adding a bit more depth to that to get a few extra marks, and then I'd probably start talking about F=Ma relates to the resultant, so at a point in the container F=Ma becomes constant, so we are no longer accelerating and our forces are balanced, leaving us in equilibrium (which is evidenced at the point of constant on the graph)

That's a nasty question to be fair, and I wouldn't want that to come up in an exam. There's probably something else to add to what I said to get the full 6 marks though.
Reply 71

how did you get your hands on the 2022 paper? I cannot seem to find it? even my teachers for some reason haven't put it up, can you share it please maybe in a google drive for practice?
Reply 72
anyone know, if I should do the AS papers aswell? I mean the A level papers I have done and they're getting too "oh I sorta remember the answer", I'm told they're both same difficult just minus SHM and Circular Motion
Original post by CodeX420
how did you get your hands on the 2022 paper? I cannot seem to find it? even my teachers for some reason haven't put it up, can you share it please maybe in a google drive for practice?

My teachers gave us a physical copy and an online copy; I'll upload it to google drive and update this message with the link once it's done :smile:

EDIT;
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1gWrNBk8JmT4Y47KIUZUkKFV865wuk3l3
Contains papers, mark schemes, and examiners notes.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 74
Okay, this really helps! Thanks a lot :smile:

Immediately I notice the fact that the ball is instantly entering the oil, so my first point of contact would be to explain how N1 decreases the acceleration until we reach terminal velocity. Something along the lines of
"In the instant that A enters the oil, the oil applies a resultant force to A to cause it to decelerate until terminal velocity is reached. This is evidenced by the curve on the graph, as N1 states that for an object to experience a change in velocity requires an external force to act upon it, in this instance from the ball."

Adding a bit more depth to that to get a few extra marks, and then I'd probably start talking about F=Ma relates to the resultant, so at a point in the container F=Ma becomes constant, so we are no longer accelerating and our forces are balanced, leaving us in equilibrium (which is evidenced at the point of constant on the graph)

That's a nasty question to be fair, and I wouldn't want that to come up in an exam. There's probably something else to add to what I said to get the full 6 marks though.
My teachers gave us a physical copy and an online copy; I'll upload it to google drive and update this message with the link once it's done :smile:

EDIT;

ooh thank you! im still so confused on 4.5 lolol we did this paper as a mock and i cant seem to understand!!
Reply 76

EDIT;

Original post by riiya25
Okay, this really helps! Thanks a lot :smile:

my god, thank you!, I genuienly didn't expect to get access this quick
Original post by oliviacantmath
ooh thank you! im still so confused on 4.5 lolol we did this paper as a mock and i cant seem to understand!!

Haha yeah 4.5 was pretty mean. Just gotta remember Ohm's law and how parallel resistance works in order to get the marks for it though.

my god, thank you!, I genuienly didn't expect to get access this quick

I've got nothing better to do whilst I do these past papers so it's not like I'm busy ahah
Reply 78
Haha yeah 4.5 was pretty mean. Just gotta remember Ohm's law and how parallel resistance works in order to get the marks for it though.

I've got nothing better to do whilst I do these past papers so it's not like I'm busy ahah

is your game plan just do past papers from now till wednesday?
(I'm think about just doing the AS aswell as the normal A level ones and then perhaps for electricity or weaker topics do compilation sheets (the 2016-2022 or older spec topic sheets) ? I will review them on tuesday/wednesday
is your game plan just do past papers from now till wednesday?
(I'm think about just doing the AS aswell as the normal A level ones and then perhaps for electricity or weaker topics do compilation sheets (the 2016-2022 or older spec topic sheets) ? I will review them on tuesday/wednesday

I've barely done any past papers the entire 2 years of the course, though right now I've only got 2019 and 2020 left to do. What I'm currently doing:

2 hours of specification rundown, try to remember what was they expect you to infer

CGP Book focused study on areas I'm weak at, so for me that's Waves and Mechanics, but also do a bit of light reading over the over 4 areas too.

Section A of the past paper in exam conditions, and then mark

Take a break for an hour or two

Section B of the past paper in exam conditions and then mark.

Evaluate mistakes

I try to stay within time limits where possible and it's a pretty rigid system. A lot of the time I'll talk to myself quietly (like I would in an exam hall, but there it would be much quieter) and try to completely analyse a question before I answer it. For MCQ, I tend to just go with my gut on questions I don't know. Statistically AQA use option B about 33% of the time, so if you don't know you can always guess B and be right a lot of the time. Any calculation questions for MCQ I do in pencil, as then I can erase my mistakes if I notice it whilst I continue.

I also use the formula booklet like my life depends on it, and to save myself some time and let muscle memory kick in for the exam I have re-arranged variants of the equations wrote down on a piece of paper next to me, though realistically I have the time to manually rearrange the formulae.

This is heavily focused on Physics, as I'm not even considering my other subjects yet, as I have 2 weeks until their first exams so I have plenty of time to prepare. Doesn't work for everyone but I'm easily distracted so if I can get it all done at once I will happily do that instead of procrastinating it for another day like I said every day before my mocks.

Latest

Trending

Trending