The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by riiya25
Any tips for approaching the more word-heavy, 6-mark questions? I never seem to know how many points are enough to get all the marks.

6 markers are only really a thing in the paper 3 option topics these days apparently
Reply 81
Original post by TristanTaylor06
I've barely done any past papers the entire 2 years of the course, though right now I've only got 2019 and 2020 left to do. What I'm currently doing:

2 hours of specification rundown, try to remember what was they expect you to infer

CGP Book focused study on areas I'm weak at, so for me that's Waves and Mechanics, but also do a bit of light reading over the over 4 areas too.

Section A of the past paper in exam conditions, and then mark

Take a break for an hour or two

Section B of the past paper in exam conditions and then mark.

Evaluate mistakes

I try to stay within time limits where possible and it's a pretty rigid system. A lot of the time I'll talk to myself quietly (like I would in an exam hall, but there it would be much quieter) and try to completely analyse a question before I answer it. For MCQ, I tend to just go with my gut on questions I don't know. Statistically AQA use option B about 33% of the time, so if you don't know you can always guess B and be right a lot of the time. Any calculation questions for MCQ I do in pencil, as then I can erase my mistakes if I notice it whilst I continue.

I also use the formula booklet like my life depends on it, and to save myself some time and let muscle memory kick in for the exam I have re-arranged variants of the equations wrote down on a piece of paper next to me, though realistically I have the time to manually rearrange the formulae.

This is heavily focused on Physics, as I'm not even considering my other subjects yet, as I have 2 weeks until their first exams so I have plenty of time to prepare. Doesn't work for everyone but I'm easily distracted so if I can get it all done at once I will happily do that instead of procrastinating it for another day like I said every day before my mocks.

Damm you sound exactly like me right now, I’m doing the exact same things and all my other exams are also 2 weeks away 🤣, and I also didn’t do any past papers until very recently. Once physics is done on Wednesday I gotta start speed running my other subjects
Reply 82
Original post by Roshanr04
I have done all the A-Level past papers for paper 1 and im doing the AS paper 1s now as they are the same content. Is this worth it? Because i feel like the questions are alot easier, but its still practicing the relevant content. Also i have no idea if the AS paper 2s would be worth it because they seem to have more paper 3 style practical questions.

The AS paper 2s should be used to practice paper 3 tbh, paper 2 content is strictly upper sixth so you can only really do paper 2 A level past papers - but if you want maybe have a look at the old spec papers
Reply 83
I've barely done any past papers the entire 2 years of the course, though right now I've only got 2019 and 2020 left to do. What I'm currently doing:

2 hours of specification rundown, try to remember what was they expect you to infer

CGP Book focused study on areas I'm weak at, so for me that's Waves and Mechanics, but also do a bit of light reading over the over 4 areas too.

Evaluate mistakes

I try to stay within time limits where possible and it's a pretty rigid system. A lot of the time I'll talk to myself quietly (like I would in an exam hall, but there it would be much quieter) and try to completely analyse a question before I answer it. For MCQ, I tend to just go with my gut on questions I don't know. Statistically AQA use option B about 33% of the time, so if you don't know you can always guess B and be right a lot of the time. Any calculation questions for MCQ I do in pencil, as then I can erase my mistakes if I notice it whilst I continue.

I also use the formula booklet like my life depends on it, and to save myself some time and let muscle memory kick in for the exam I have re-arranged variants of the equations wrote down on a piece of paper next to me, though realistically I have the time to manually rearrange the formulae.

This is heavily focused on Physics, as I'm not even considering my other subjects yet, as I have 2 weeks until their first exams so I have plenty of time to prepare. Doesn't work for everyone but I'm easily distracted so if I can get it all done at once I will happily do that instead of procrastinating it for another day like I said every day before my mocks.

Oh my thats an excellent plan - however I'm aiming to just put a 2 hour timer on and just do the paper all at once, because if I don't get used to it I think you'd tend to get fatigued so its better to get used to just working 2 hours straight. on being easily distracted yesss its bad especially the guilt, right now I have put aside every other exam and will just focus on physics paper 1 monday-wednesday, and oh when it goes for past papers what I have done is print all out and do them physically - mark with red pen (leave side notes) and then tuesday hopefully go through the pile from 2017-2022 analyising deeply everything I lost marks on and reviewing it.
Reply 84
Original post by Bo77 Tman
Damm you sound exactly like me right now, I’m doing the exact same things and all my other exams are also 2 weeks away 🤣, and I also didn’t do any past papers until very recently. Once physics is done on Wednesday I gotta start speed running my other subjects

does everyone just cram for exams? I've covered all the content but its still feels so "crammy" maybe because you forget somethings before and need to in a short time just polish it A1 A1
Reply 85
Original post by CodeX420
Oh my thats an excellent plan - however I'm aiming to just put a 2 hour timer on and just do the paper all at once, because if I don't get used to it I think you'd tend to get fatigued so its better to get used to just working 2 hours straight. on being easily distracted yesss its bad especially the guilt, right now I have put aside every other exam and will just focus on physics paper 1 monday-wednesday, and oh when it goes for past papers what I have done is print all out and do them physically - mark with red pen (leave side notes) and then tuesday hopefully go through the pile from 2017-2022 analyising deeply everything I lost marks on and reviewing it.

Did you find the 2021 paper the hardest? I just did that one and thought it was way harder than the others. I haven’t done 2022 yet so that will probably be even worse. It just seems like AQA make it harder every year.
Did you find the 2021 paper the hardest? I just did that one and thought it was way harder than the others. I haven’t done 2022 yet so that will probably be even worse. It just seems like AQA make it harder every year.

21 is significantly harder than 22 in my opinion. Lots more variations in methods on the questions.
22 just felt like a lot of waves and a lot of mechanics, but it's actually a really nice paper if you spend the time thinking about it.

Original post by CodeX420
does everyone just cram for exams? I've covered all the content but its still feels so "crammy" maybe because you forget somethings before and need to in a short time just polish it A1 A1

Covering the content and feeling comfortable with it doesn't really mean cramming, cramming is knowing the content but avoiding any refreshers till last minute. Everyone forgets things before an exam and if you say you don't you're lying, that's why going to any last-minute revision session on the day or the day before an exam is so vital, it's also why flashcards are so useful for a lot of people.

If you think you're going to forget something before an exam, spend an hour before writing key content points that you aren't too sure of. Psychological studies have proven that writing something down increases chance of rememberability so should in theory, help you remember those last few things that are just slipping out (Like pesky Kaon decay)
Reply 87
21 is significantly harder than 22 in my opinion. Lots more variations in methods on the questions.
22 just felt like a lot of waves and a lot of mechanics, but it's actually a really nice paper if you spend the time thinking about it.

That’s good, I felt physically sick while doing the 2021 paper. Seriously hope this one coming up on Wednesday is nothing like that.
Reply 88
What does everyone think are some of the finer details worth remembering? Like Kaon decay, why an neutrino must exist in beta decay etc?
Original post by annie996
What does everyone think are some of the finer details worth remembering? Like Kaon decay, why an neutrino must exist in beta decay etc?

Non-standard decays so K+, π° decay and anything to do with quark representations. Probably also useful to remember reasoning as to why the proton is the most stable Baryon.
Feynman diagrams haven't come up in a few years so there's a high chance we'll get one of them this time around.
Maximum number of harmonics on a standing wave is pretty niche but something we need to be aware of.
For mechanics I don't think any of it really has fine details, except for maybe effects of friction and/or resultant force on an object in a specific plane.
The appreciation for the brittleness of a material as a factor for suitability is a fine detail that you aren't really meant to know about in great detail, but you should have an appreciation towards how a brittle material may not be suitable for a specific scenario.
Electricity, probably just internal resistance and potentially the heat of a circuit reducing the overall resistance of a wire.
Reply 90

Evaluate mistakes

I am in exactly the same boat as you, my second exam is biology paper 1 and thats not until 7th June and then Chemistry paper 1 isn't until 12th June. I am pretty much doing the same as you in terms of revision. What topics are you hoping for and what topics are your worst? Goodluck!!
Also what are you planning to do in september?
Original post by annie996

strangeness is often good to know about.
decay through weak
produced through strong
can change by 0,-1,+1 in weak interactions
always produced in pairs (to conserve strangeness)
only one you need to know in the spec are kaons that decay into pions.
Reply 92

2022 paper was beautiful. Apparently the highest score in the country for 2021 paper was 66/85 😳
There will probably be questions on tilting

I'm predicting projectiles tbh, there was a lot of forces/moments on the 2022 paper.
Reply 94
Original post by frauschlange
I'm predicting projectiles tbh, there was a lot of forces/moments on the 2022 paper.

I have a feeling something about materials will come up like a graph showing the stress and the strain of different materials and have to deduce which is good for something. But apart from that I have no clue what could come up
Yeah, considering the only materials on the 2022 paper was a little bit of density but even then it was part of a mostly mechanics-based question.
Original post by jammy120_0
I have a feeling something about materials will come up like a graph showing the stress and the strain of different materials and have to deduce which is good for something. But apart from that I have no clue what could come up
I am in exactly the same boat as you, my second exam is biology paper 1 and thats not until 7th June and then Chemistry paper 1 isn't until 12th June. I am pretty much doing the same as you in terms of revision. What topics are you hoping for and what topics are your worst? Goodluck!!
Also what are you planning to do in september?

I'm hoping for electricity and particles as they're my strongest point, though I would prefer more electricity than particles. I wouldn't mind a few nice SHM questions either though aha

Assuming all goes well I'm looking at doing Electrical Engineering (Hardware Engineering specifically) as an apprenticeship. I've already done interviews with places like BAE so hopefully someone pulls through.

i agree, there were no graphs with actual readings on them for the 2022 paper which is really unusual
Reply 98
anyone got any tips for last minute revision for electricity ? i understand the majority of the content but the questions are always so tricky ...
Original post by trojan1641
anyone got any tips for last minute revision for electricity ? i understand the majority of the content but the questions are always so tricky ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Zjf90fkME

This will probably save your life right now lol

Latest

Trending

Trending