The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ngl I actually didn't mind paper 1 because I'm a lot better at problem solving rather than learning a million definitions and random stuff like what pattern can be seen on a diffraction grating
Reply 21
Hey can anyone help me with this question:
Sea level is currently observed to increase at a total rate of about 3mm/year. Out of this total rate, approximately 1mm/year is due to thermal expansion of the warming sea water. This is known as steric sea level change.
Assume that the ocean heating occurs uniformly over the top 1000m of the ocean at a rate of 0.01∘Cyear−1. Calculate the power required for this ocean heating.

Assume that the Earth is a perfect sphere with radius 6371km
The oceans covers 70% of the Earth’s surface
The density of sea water is 1025kgm−3

The heat capacity of sea water C, =4.006×10^3Jkg−1K−1

This is what i did. i kinda just waffled.

Preview attachment 20230529_180236.jpg

20230529_180236.jpg
1.5 MB
Reply 22
Sea level is currently observed to increase at a total rate of about 3mm/year. Out of this total rate, approximately 1mm/year is due to thermal expansion of the warming sea water. This is known as steric sea level change.
Assume that the ocean heating occurs uniformly over the top 1000m of the ocean at a rate of 0.01∘Cyear−1. Calculate the power required for this ocean heating.

20230529_180236.jpg
1.5 MB

What level of difficulty in Isaac physics would you guys recommend we should be able to do if we're aiming for a solid A*?
Original post by Felix'sfreckles
What level of difficulty in Isaac physics would you guys recommend we should be able to do if we're aiming for a solid A*?

Any of the challenge tasks are very good and really force you to think logically and methodically, just make sure to always draw a detailed diagram for any questions and identify any quantities that are given in the the question along with the quantity(s) to find :smile:
Original post by Kingemperor07
Any of the challenge tasks are very good and really force you to think logically and methodically, just make sure to always draw a detailed diagram for any questions and identify any quantities that are given in the the question along with the quantity(s) to find :smile:

Alright, thank you!
Original post by Abdullah05

20230529_180236.jpg
1.5 MB

A)
Calculate the area of the ocean:
- SA of earth = 4 * pi * r^2
- SA of ocean = 0.7 * SA of earth
Calculate the mass of the ocean heated:
- p = m/V, m = pV = pAL
- p = density of sea water, A = SA of ocean calculated, L = the depth of ocean heated
Use specific heat capacity eq:
- Pt = mcT
- P = mc(T / t), remember that T / t refers to 0.01 degrees celsius / year rate of temperature increase of ocean.

B)
The objective is to find dm/dt
Calculate the accumulated volume each year due to ice melting:
- V/dt = (SA of ocean) * (2 mm/year)
Use density equation:
- p = dm / V, V = dm / p, dividing both sides by dt: V / dt = dm / (dt * p)
- Therefore dm/dt = p * V/dt

C)
Form an expression for the total Power:
- P = (mcT + mL) / t
- therefore P = (dm/dt)*cT + (dm/dt)*L
- You might notice that dm/dt appears in this equation again, just sub all the values from the question along with dm/dt from the previous question to get P
Original post by vishal2479
do any of you remember any questions from paper1 and paper2 physics as 2023

Is this for mocks or did you sit this exam?
Reply 28
Could someone help me with this question please:

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/SHM_Wire_Loop?board=c2c10c57-0dc0-4550-ba62-55a17e777877&stage=a_level

I first worked out the tension in the spring in terms of B, which was (5x10^-3)B + 0.0981 N . From there I used hookes law to calculate the spring constant, which was 5B + 98.1 N m^-1 . Then I used the formula T = 2pi (m/k)^1/2 to work out B. Anyone know what I did wrong? Thanks :smile:
Reply 29
Yall reckon this paper gonna be harder than/at the same difficulty compared to paper 1? Tbf im better at paper 2. I looked at 2022 paper and tbf there was a bit of everything really so predictions probs wont be great but if i were to give a prediction then probs some more electric fields and capacitance so I would have a gander at those. There was a decent chunck of gravs and thermal in 2022 but hey it could be anything so take what I said with a grain of salt.
Original post by Polp
Yall reckon this paper gonna be harder than/at the same difficulty compared to paper 1? Tbf im better at paper 2. I looked at 2022 paper and tbf there was a bit of everything really so predictions probs wont be great but if i were to give a prediction then probs some more electric fields and capacitance so I would have a gander at those. There was a decent chunck of gravs and thermal in 2022 but hey it could be anything so take what I said with a grain of salt.

I'm assuming that Paper 2 will be easier simply because we learnt it more recently, but AQA always finds a way to make things harder than it needs to be so idk.
Reply 32
Is paper 2 more calculation or theory based?
Reply 33
Original post by Josh1234543
Is paper 2 more calculation or theory based?

I reckon there will be more theory cause there was lots of problem solving in paper 1 but hey it could be even more problem solving lmao.
Reply 34
Does anyone know what equations we'll need to memorise that we aren't already given?
alot of the equations for paper 2 are already in the datasheet
Reply 35
Original post by Gbbhytr
Yo would anyone be interested in a group buy for the paper 2 paper, I have a plug who's charging 500, obvs I can't pay that but if people chip in well probably have to pay like 20 each, if anyone is interested and has friends who are interested please message me

Get the **** out of here man
Reply 36
Original post by malymole1
Get the **** out of here

Alright bro
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 37
howww do i revise for this paper. its so confusing
Reply 38
Original post by swnap
howww do i revise for this paper. its so confusing

Try physics and maths tutor, its rlly good. They have so many questions for every single specific topic you want to revise. Even the answers to the multi choice questions have detailed writing explaining how to do them

Latest

Trending

Trending