The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

Have you done part a?
Reply 41
Original post by swnap
howww do i revise for this paper. its so confusing

Learn the content and just practice a bijillion qs. Its good to look at 1 markers if you practice them and then in the test you get the majority of them right you get a lot of marks. Also when looking through qs if you can do em in your head then just skip em and try and move onto doing the harder probem solving qs where you have to think.
Reply 42

are u still stuck on the Two C's and three R's? I think i have the solution for it lying somewhere
Question, If in a graph of pressure against volume the area under the curve = wd, is that also = NkT?

Heres the explanation:

a)
- figure out how much power is wasted to surroundings using P = k(100-20) = 60.8W
- This however isn't the energy supplied by the heater, to get this use the efficiency equation: efficiency = output power / input power
- Therefore input power to heater = 60.8 / 0.7 = 86.8W

b)
- Same logic, use Pt = mL to get the power necessary to boil over, P = (m/t) * L, and you are given (m/t) and L in the question
- you should get 1130W, now do 1130 / 0.7 to get the input power needed = 1610W
- add this to 86.8W from the previous question to get the total power needed to keep the water at the boiling point + preventing the boiling over.
- Answer = 1610 + 86.8 = 1700W
Original post by prithu
are u still stuck on the Two C's and three R's? I think i have the solution for it lying somewhere

Yeah im still stuck on that question, my brain hurts from it lol
Reply 46
I'm struggling a bit with these questions on Isaac Physics, how would I do them?

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/phys_linking_22_q4?board=d7fab289-d7b4-46d1-8cf7-5c9ea758f66c&stage=a_level
Reply 47
Original post by Kingemperor07
Heres the explanation:

a)
- figure out how much power is wasted to surroundings using P = k(100-20) = 60.8W
- This however isn't the energy supplied by the heater, to get this use the efficiency equation: efficiency = output power / input power
- Therefore input power to heater = 60.8 / 0.7 = 86.8W

b)
- Same logic, use Pt = mL to get the power necessary to boil over, P = (m/t) * L, and you are given (m/t) and L in the question
- you should get 1130W, now do 1130 / 0.7 to get the input power needed = 1610W
- add this to 86.8W from the previous question to get the total power needed to keep the water at the boiling point + preventing the boiling over.
- Answer = 1610 + 86.8 = 1700W

Thank you so much, i was overcomplicating it unnecessarily
Original post by AbbyDodds
I'm struggling a bit with these questions on Isaac Physics, how would I do them?

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/phys_linking_22_q4?board=d7fab289-d7b4-46d1-8cf7-5c9ea758f66c&stage=a_level

You have to utilise the equation Emf = BANomega x sin(omega x t) equation as it is concerned with a coil. You are trying to find out the flux density at max EMF and that is when sin(omega x t) = 1. So you are just left with Emf(max) = BANomega. You can then solve for B using the various info given.
Reply 49
Anyone have a set of formulas that we need to know that arent on the data sheet?
Reply 50
do we need to know about back emf?
Reply 51
Original post by JP22r
do we need to know about back emf?

Not as far as I am aware of...(?)
Original post by Abdullah05
Hey can anyone help me with this question:
Sea level is currently observed to increase at a total rate of about 3mm/year. Out of this total rate, approximately 1mm/year is due to thermal expansion of the warming sea water. This is known as steric sea level change.
Assume that the ocean heating occurs uniformly over the top 1000m of the ocean at a rate of 0.01∘Cyear−1. Calculate the power required for this ocean heating.

Assume that the Earth is a perfect sphere with radius 6371km
The oceans covers 70% of the Earth’s surface
The density of sea water is 1025kgm−3

The heat capacity of sea water C, =4.006×10^3Jkg−1K−1

This is what i did. i kinda just waffled.

Preview attachment 20230529_180236.jpg

20230529_180236.jpg
1.5 MB

Hi are you able to attach this differently please cuz the file won't open
Reply 53
Original post by sara2918
Anyone have a set of formulas that we need to know that arent on the data sheet?

IMG20230522223715.jpg My friend sent this a while back. Some of them you can derive but some you just have to know.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 54
Life saving, thanks
Original post by Polp
IMG20230522223715.jpg My friend sent this a while back. Some of them you can derive but some you just have to know.

- You know that Graviational potential at the surface must be: V = -GM/R, where M is the mass of the planet and R is the radius of the planet.
- M can be written as pV where p is the density and V is the volume of the fictional planet.
- basically just convert the density into SI units and subtract the volume of the larger sphere from the inner sphere to get V.
- then use V = -GpV/R with all your values.
Reply 57

Not sure if the answer is right as I sometimes have difficulty with entering the answer as required to that website but I will do my best:

The formula for gravitational potential is (-) GM/r

G is a constant, we are given R and all we have to do is calculate the Mass of the planet.

First you calculate the volume with R and then subtract the volume with R/2 from it. That would be the volume. You then time the density and the volume together to get the mass.
Original post by moonlight2460
Question, If in a graph of pressure against volume the area under the curve = wd, is that also = NkT?

- the equation W = pV is for a change in volume given a constant pressure
- pV = NkT is for fixed V and p meaning that the area won't necessarily equal NkT.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Kingemperor07
- You know that Graviational potential at the surface must be: V = -GM/R, where M is the mass of the planet and R is the radius of the planet.
- M can be written as pV where p is the density and V is the volume of the fictional planet.
- basically just convert the density into SI units and subtract the volume of the larger sphere from the inner sphere to get V.
- then use V = -GpV/R with all your values.

That's exactly what i did first time but I never got the right answer.
I tried it again just trying to pay extra close attention and I got the right answer. seems like i was putting in numbers wrong somewhere, thank you for your help

Latest

Trending

Trending