The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Physics Paper 3: 9PH0 03 - 15th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zwłoki998
if P1 and P2 have intentionally not covered certain topics, then out of these which r the most likely to show up/basically guaranteed? ik its kinda pointless to predict but i wanna know if there r ones i should focus on more than others

CP1 determining acceleration of a free fall object
CP2 determining resistivity of a wire
CP3 determining emf and internal resistance of cell
CP4 determining viscosity of fluid
CP5 determining young modulus of a material
CP6 determining speed of sound in air
CP7 frequency of a vibrating string
CP8 determine wavelength of light (diffraction + double slit)
CP9 investigating change in momentum
CP10 using ICT for collisions (p and Ek conserved stuff)
CP11 PD across charging and discharging capacitors
CP12 calibrating thermistor w a potential divider circuit
CP13 finding SLH
CP14 relationship between P and V in a gas
CP15 absorption of gamma radiation
CP16 unknown mass using mass-spring oscillations formula

also there's been no circular motion at all so im guessing there'll b some unseen practical on it?

Well, I did a thorough prediction, and Paper 3 will most likely cover the following:
- Unseen practicals and principles testing on the following (most likely) topics, which a good chunk of marks - guessing +3 - marks on them:
- All of Chapter 6, even 6.2.1, and 6.2.2 (Circular motion, there wasn't a good lot of them on P1)
- 2.1.5, Newton's Laws of Motion, that hasn't cropped up surprisingly.
- 4.2.2, 4.2.3 Stress, Strain and the Young Modulus (Only saw 1 MCQ on this, that's it rlly).
- 5.4.1, 5.4.2 Wave-Particle Duality and The Photoelectric Effect
- 7.2.2 Charging and Discharging Capacitors
- 8.2.1, 8.2.2 Particle accelerators and detectors (Particle detectors was there on P1 where it showed the tracks, but I feel like they could cover it a bit more, with FLR).
- 10.1.1, 10.1.2 Rate of radioactive decay, Nuclear radiation
- 11.1.2 Gravitational fields (comparing to 7.1.1 Electrical fields)
- 12.1.2, 12.1.5 Stellar formation (could be a 6-marker) The fate of the Universe
- 13.1.2, 13.1.4 SHM (probably in more detail), Resonance and Critical damping

Likely core practicals:
- CP3
- CP5
- CP10
- CP11
- CP16
- Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment? (could pop up)

Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 21
Original post by GoldenAriesAndy
Well, I did a thorough prediction, and Paper 3 will most likely cover the following:
- Unseen practicals and principles testing on the following (most likely) topics, which a good chunk of marks - guessing +3 - marks on them:
- All of Chapter 6, even 6.2.1, and 6.2.2 (Circular motion, there wasn't a good lot of them on P1)
- 4.2.2, 4.2.3 Stress, Strain and the Young Modulus (Only saw 1 MCQ on this, that's it rlly).
- 8.2.1, 8.2.2 Particle accelerators and detectors (Particle detectors was there on P1 where it showed the tracks, but I feel like they could cover it a bit more, with FLR).
- 12.1.2, 12.1.5 Stellar formation (could be a 6-marker) The fate of the Universe

Likely core practicals:
- CP3
- CP5
- CP10
- CP11
- CP16

oh my god tysm!! this is so useful tyty
oh my god tysm!! this is so useful tyty

cool! Thanks!
Reply 23
Original post by GoldenAriesAndy

Likely core practicals:
- CP3
- CP5
- CP10
- CP11
- CP16

I swr there were no radiation questions this year so 100% six marker linked with pressure perhaps and alpha particles ionising abilities or smth.
Reply 24
Hi guys, may someone please confirm the fate of the universe for Edexcel, my teacher taught us the open, flat and closed theory but that seems to be OCR? Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 25
Honestly Paper 1 wasn't the best for me, but Paper 2 felt like a breeze compared to it, but I am really scared of paper 3 suddenly throwing ridiculous circular motion practicals that will drop marks. I don't mind doing a long paper as I feel I'm used to it after doing a few long ones in other subjects (and at home in timed conditions).
Reply 26
Original post by Aksgd
I swr there were no radiation questions this year so 100% six marker linked with pressure perhaps and alpha particles ionising abilities or smth.

dk abt the 6 marker on pressure and radiation cuz they had a question j like that in last year's:

"The most common radionuclide amongst the fission products in the fuel was iodine-131, which decays with a half-life of 8.0 days to form a stable isotope of the gas xenon. Deduce whether enough xenon would have collected in 32 days to exert a pressure of 1.0 × 10^5 Pa in a volume of 450 m3. Assume that no gas escapes.
temperature = 20 °C
initial number of iodine nuclei = 1.25 × 1028"

unless ur thinking of smth else or ur saying there could b a q again like this this year?
Reply 27
dk abt the 6 marker on pressure and radiation cuz they had a question j like that in last year's:

"The most common radionuclide amongst the fission products in the fuel was iodine-131, which decays with a half-life of 8.0 days to form a stable isotope of the gas xenon. Deduce whether enough xenon would have collected in 32 days to exert a pressure of 1.0 × 10^5 Pa in a volume of 450 m3. Assume that no gas escapes.
temperature = 20 °C
initial number of iodine nuclei = 1.25 × 1028"

unless ur thinking of smth else or ur saying there could b a q again like this this year?

All I’m saying is there will be a substantial section just on decay don’t know if it will be connected to pressure or stars or whatever but there’s not many topics it can be linked with but tbh they’ll somehow end up linking it in with circular motion somehow 💀
Reply 28
Hey thanks guys this is quite useful,
anyways can derivations come up in paper 3? There was only a short one in paper two.
Original post by kks_0013
Hi guys, may someone please confirm the fate of the universe for Edexcel, my teacher taught us the open, flat and closed theory but that seems to be OCR? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey, in Edexcel, correct me if I'm wrong, but we were also taught the fate of the universe through "open, flat and closed theory."
- The universe can continue to expand at an accelerating rate, due to redshift, backing up "The Big Bang Theory," where it came from a singular point that is infinitely hot and dense.
- It can stay the same mass, thus the flat theory.
- The Universe can reach a "Big Crunch." This is when the universe reaches critical density, leading to the Universe closing on itself.

- Dark matter makes up 85% of the Universe, not emitting any EM radiation, dark energy is responsible for the acceleration of the Universe
Reply 30
Thank you for the clarification!! :smile:
Reply 31
Good luck to everyone tomorrow xx :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Ugonguyen
Good luck to everyone tomorrow xx :smile:

Good luck to you too!!
We got thissss yaayay
Reply 33
Does anyone remember if polarisation came up in either paper 1 or 2? All I remember is an MCQ from paper 2.

Good luck guys!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 34
it didnt come up! hopefully tomorrow....
Original post by kks_0013
Does anyone remember if polarisation came up in either paper 1 or 2? All I remember is an MCQ from paper 2.

Good luck guys!
good luck everyone!
is edexcel physics really unpopular? I was expecting more posts than this seeing as the exam is tomorrow lmao
Reply 36
Original post by shirokuro3
good luck everyone!
is edexcel physics really unpopular? I was expecting more posts than this seeing as the exam is tomorrow lmao

the exam chat threads tend to blow up after the exam with everybody wanting to check answers.

good luck everybody :smile:
What are the key points to include in a question about polarisation?
Because I always get mixed up with plane/ component, filter out/absorb etc...
How best should these questions be phrased?
Reply 38
Original post by CommonIsotope
What are the key points to include in a question about polarisation?
Because I always get mixed up with plane/ component, filter out/absorb etc...
How best should these questions be phrased?

Gorilla Physics has this good presentation on a lot of key common long-answers, there's a slide on polarisation in there - hope it helps! :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=comments&redir_token=QUFFLUhqbW1kTHIyNE9LNTFyS2dkYnhVaVNtV2Fkc3Nkd3xBQ3Jtc0tsNzZnWU5wNjFBRXRXNGxkbFRzUk1NX1hzVGxtY1JqQ0VVVGZ3VF9fd2p5WXFIME5VMWpuTkdkOE5KdUVfY1NlQlNpUnUzZWZJcS1GZGNGWWdWckFmTFNXRzN4dlY0NjUwbVM0RktwaG9zWnFLZTRnUQ&q=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F10FUhTGrAFI6ONnIHJ_uH1ZNRxA4Lpnty%2Fview%3Fusp%3Ddrivesdk&stzid=UgzC8nYfSiKiXHQXgxV4AaABAg.8vHviMKa4kz8vIowZNpTPE
Reply 39
when u draw a graph can u draw it in landscape or does it have to be portrait??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending