The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Physics Waves Question

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 15.04.23.png

The markscheme says that the answer is A, and I got that via process of elimination, but would someone be able to explain how P and R are in antiphase? Is it just because when the wave oscillates, they're on opposite sides of the 'equilibrium line?'
P and R are 180 degrees or pi radians out of phase with each other. Let's define the point when P or R are at their maximum heights to be the 'start' of a wave - then this would also make this position the end of each wave too. Half way through a cycle (or 180 degrees through its phase) would be the minimum height which the points reach. It happens to be the case that when P is at its maximum height, R is at its minimum height (i.e. 180 degrees out of phase). Similarly, when R is at its maximum height, P is at its minimum height. (Here I am counting the 'minimum height' as being the physically lowest point which is reached).

The same logic can be applied to any other point in time. For example, when P is on the equilibrium line, but moving downwards, R is also on the equilibrium line, but moving upwards. This again indicates a phase difference of 180 degrees because moving either point by 180 degrees in its cycle would make the points perfectly in phase with each other.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest