The Student Room Group

Private school and Russell group university

Are you more likely to be a success if you go to a private school and then a Russell group university? Most actors, tv personality went to private school and a Russell Group University. If you don’t go to go a Russell Group university, is your life over?
Reply 1
I went to UCL and work for a prestigious company in a relatively high paying role. My boss’s boss, went to one of the worst unis in the country and is quite young.
Yes it's over if you didn't go to a private school then onto a Russel Group
Original post by lalexm
I went to UCL and work for a prestigious company in a relatively high paying role. My boss’s boss, went to one of the worst unis in the country and is quite young.

> Deloitte
Reply 4
Original post by username001345
> Deloitte

No not Deloitte.
Reply 5
As someone who goes to a private school, most of the people ik didn’t even get into a top university!! It’s about the person and not the school. Ofc we had more help as less students are in classes, but we didn’t have the same drive and focus as people in state schools who went off to top unis 🤷🏻*♀️ sad but true.
Main thing is experience & hard work, that’s for sure.
Reply 6
Original post by Idkbroo
As someone who goes to a private school, most of the people ik didn’t even get into a top university!! It’s about the person and not the school. Ofc we had more help as less students are in classes, but we didn’t have the same drive and focus as people in state schools who went off to top unis 🤷🏻*♀️ sad but true.
Main thing is experience & hard work, that’s for sure.

Agreed. Going to a good school, whether private or state, helps a bit, but by far the biggest factor determining someone’s success is their drive, determination and ambition. Likewise, studies have shown there is very little correlation between IQ and success. Your motivation is far more important.
Reply 7
Many actors, tv personalities etc had family money behind them. These are tough fields to get into if you need to earn a living when starting out. People with family money often go to private schools. The private school part isn't very significant here.
Original post by ajj2000
Many actors, tv personalities etc had family money behind them. These are tough fields to get into if you need to earn a living when starting out. People with family money often go to private schools. The private school part isn't very significant here.

I second this - it's all about the family money.
Reply 9
Original post by Learning4Fun
I second this - it's all about the family money.

Maybe in the TV and film industry, or where the parents own a company that their kids can work for. Having money and family connections is not going to get you a job in the city though, say for a large bank, law, insurance firm etc.
Original post by lalexm
Maybe in the TV and film industry, or where the parents own a company that their kids can work for. Having money and family connections is not going to get you a job in the city though, say for a large bank, law, insurance firm etc.

Perhaps - and that's probably what my career path will lean towards, big money jobs in the city.
Original post by lalexm

It will though if you have family money your father or mother or uncle or whoever most likely has some form of connections which are extremely important in banking and corporate law
Reply 12
Original post by username001345
It will though if you have family money your father or mother or uncle or whoever most likely has some form of connections which are extremely important in banking and corporate law

No not really. Big corporations are super strict on transparency and ethical behaviour. It would not be worth the reputation damage for a company to recruit someone based on family connections rather than merit. Where there is a family connection, say a son wants to work at the same company as his dad, the dad would not be allowed to have anything to do with the selection process. It really is not what many people think. As you might have guessed, I’ve been working for large corporations for years.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending