The Student Room Group

Higher English Scottish set text

I need to get an A for set text if I want to achieve well in English. In the prelim I got 3/20. I used all my teachers notes and tips. The reason for this my analysis wasn’t good. I am doing Liz Lochhead poems has anyone got any tips or advice please
Reply 1
Original post by Nat5candidate
I need to get an A for set text if I want to achieve well in English. In the prelim I got 3/20. I used all my teachers notes and tips. The reason for this my analysis wasn’t good. I am doing Liz Lochhead poems has anyone got any tips or advice please

Hi! I’m doing higher this year as well, and set text is really hard. Don’t know much about Liz Lochhead, but this would be my best advice of things to think about in the exam:

1. Try to do the first questions (the RUAE based marks) in 15-20 mins, as this leaves more time for the 10 mark question at the end.

2. In terms of analysis, the rule I always follow is “3 connotations”. This basically means, if it’s asking you about word choice, give three examples of what it could mean. E.g. “like glass” suggests it was sharp, clear and fragile. After this you can expand further to possibly pick up more marks. However, if you’re struggling with analysis, I find that this method is the quickest way to maximise your marks.

3. Even though the 10 mark question doesn’t require quotes, it can be really helpful to have a few short examples memorised from other poems. If you have even a phrase of two or three words and its analysis (what it suggests, how it is effective) that you can write down quickly and then link to the question, this can really help you to pick up analysis marks.

4. Lastly, timing is everything in a higher english exam!! Don’t get hung up on structure for Set Text, as it shouldn’t take you longer than 45-50 minutes to complete. While quality over quantity does apply to an extent, I would recommend just trying to get as much down on the page in the time available. Even if you have no idea whether something is right, just write it anyway. You can’t lose marks for dumb answers, so literally just be writing the whole time. Don’t overthink it.

Anyway, this is really long and I’m sure you’ve heard most of this before, but I hope some of it helps anyway.

Good luck for the exam, hopefully it’s a good paper!
As above (great tips), but also if you search Higher English Liz Lochhead on YouTube you get a few hits that might be helpful.
Reply 3
Thank you very much. My plan for the ten marker is to learn a lot of quotes from all over the six poems which will help me maximise the marks I gain. By doing this I’m hoping the first 10 marks of the extract will become easier to analyse as I know much more

Original post by Josie__B
Hi! I’m doing higher this year as well, and set text is really hard. Don’t know much about Liz Lochhead, but this would be my best advice of things to think about in the exam:

1. Try to do the first questions (the RUAE based marks) in 15-20 mins, as this leaves more time for the 10 mark question at the end.

2. In terms of analysis, the rule I always follow is “3 connotations”. This basically means, if it’s asking you about word choice, give three examples of what it could mean. E.g. “like glass” suggests it was sharp, clear and fragile. After this you can expand further to possibly pick up more marks. However, if you’re struggling with analysis, I find that this method is the quickest way to maximise your marks.

3. Even though the 10 mark question doesn’t require quotes, it can be really helpful to have a few short examples memorised from other poems. If you have even a phrase of two or three words and its analysis (what it suggests, how it is effective) that you can write down quickly and then link to the question, this can really help you to pick up analysis marks.

4. Lastly, timing is everything in a higher english exam!! Don’t get hung up on structure for Set Text, as it shouldn’t take you longer than 45-50 minutes to complete. While quality over quantity does apply to an extent, I would recommend just trying to get as much down on the page in the time available. Even if you have no idea whether something is right, just write it anyway. You can’t lose marks for dumb answers, so literally just be writing the whole time. Don’t overthink it.

Anyway, this is really long and I’m sure you’ve heard most of this before, but I hope some of it helps anyway.

Good luck for the exam, hopefully it’s a good paper!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending