The Student Room Group

Law entry requirements at Glasgow Uni

I’m scottish and going into S5 next year and will be sitting 5 highers. I know that highers are the important ones and wonder what the requirements are aswell as extra curriculum activities
Original post by Ivy.Anderson
I’m scottish and going into S5 next year and will be sitting 5 highers. I know that highers are the important ones and wonder what the requirements are aswell as extra curriculum activities
Hi, in terms of what’s required, you obviously need english and they recommend maths but it’s not a requirement and many have got in without it. I’d recommend taking history, mods, or politics too! If you have the opportunity, volunteering at citizens advice or a firm is really good too! And try to get involved in school events, become a prefect or captain to ensure you have lots for your statement!
Reply 2
Original post by Ivy.Anderson
I would say take english, a humanity (history, modern studies, politics) and maths. The other two I would use to show your individuality, for example art or drama - something that can set you apart from other students. What they’re really looking for is 5As so just do things that you feel confident in. (Maths is recommended but have seen plenty of people get in without it so if you are not good at it do not worry)
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous8876
Hi, in terms of what’s required, you obviously need english and they recommend maths but it’s not a requirement and many have got in without it. I’d recommend taking history, mods, or politics too! If you have the opportunity, volunteering at citizens advice or a firm is really good too! And try to get involved in school events, become a prefect or captain to ensure you have lots for your statement!
Your LNAT (Law National Admissions Test) is also part of your application! So don’t forget to book that (glasgow is the only scottish uni that requires it but you’ll need it if ur hoping to apply to england)
Original post by anonymous8876
What happens if you haven't taken any of those? I've taken psychology, sociology and heath and social care so my choice for law has been a bit late
Reply 5
Original post by Peanut_Butter
What happens if you haven't taken any of those? I've taken psychology, sociology and heath and social care so my choice for law has been a bit late
That’s not a problem! So the only actual requirement for glasgow (at least Scot’s law) is higher english, which you can easily take in S6, lots of people do additional highers in their final year for that exact reason. I wouldnt personally do higher maths as it can be really really hard to pick it back up in S6 since you forget so many of the skills you need (started my higher maths class with 4 S6s and they all left within a couple weeks). The only other thing I would say is are you doing 4 highers? (Unless you qualify for some kind of contextual offer) the minimum by the end of S5 is AAAAB aka 5 highers - I would contact admissions to ask because I’m not sure how this system works and if this will impact your chances of an offer
Reply 6
Original post by M2006
That’s not a problem! So the only actual requirement for glasgow (at least Scot’s law) is higher english, which you can easily take in S6, lots of people do additional highers in their final year for that exact reason. I wouldnt personally do higher maths as it can be really really hard to pick it back up in S6 since you forget so many of the skills you need (started my higher maths class with 4 S6s and they all left within a couple weeks). The only other thing I would say is are you doing 4 highers? (Unless you qualify for some kind of contextual offer) the minimum by the end of S5 is AAAAB aka 5 highers - I would contact admissions to ask because I’m not sure how this system works and if this will impact your chances of an offer
Oh and you need an advanced higher humanities subject - I’m not sure which of your classes count so again I would contact admissions but I imagine advanced sociology would count!
Original post by M2006
Ahh, the thing for me is in England, so I've taken 3 A-levels, but because I'm moving to Scotland, my sixth form has made an arrangement for me to sit my A level Psych and HSC exams this year but they can't do it for sociology. So I'd need to fill up the extra A level space I have. I think we're speaking about this on another thread?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending