The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Psychology Paper 1 (9PS0 01) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

btw does anyone here do 8PSO here , so AS level paper 2 for monday 😭
does anyone know what contemporary studies, or issue and debate may come up on Friday?
Reply 22
Hii what is the difference between individual differences and developmental differences?
Reply 23
what it means varies per topic
in social - individual refers to personality and gender (locus of control, authoritarian etc)
then developmental would be culture and personality through upbringing (cultural norms as we grow up)

in cog - indiv would be reconstructive mem and what are schemas are formed from, and brain damages
development would be dyslexia and alzheimer's

in bio - indiv would be similarities and diff in brain structures, freuds view of personality
development would be evolution freuds DEVELOPMENT' of personality (what ages it comes about) and hormones

in lt - indiv would be difference observed behaviours 'gender can be learned and give indiv diff,
development would be diff papers of reward and punishment, learning of gendered behaviour
for learning theory they kind of overlap but yeah
Original post by Jihoooo
Hii what is the difference between individual differences and developmental differences?
Guys can anyone send me a an essay plan for evaluating Milgram’s study pleaseee
Original post by C.A. J
i think if the question was sth like 'evaluate the use of lab experiments in social psychology' you would list advantages and disadvantages of the method, using examples , like milligram as he used a lab experiment. eg it was artificial so couldn't determine the true extent of obedience in a real life setting, or that is was good, cos he was able to offer explanations as to why nazi soldiers were so obedient, (high authority figure, proximity etc) im sure there are other examples but that the first that comes to mind

you could also give an example about a social psych experiment that wasn't lab, eg the sedikides and jackson study (obedience in the zoo, when they were told not to lean on the railings , tested uniform, proximity , which was in a natural setting which is arguably more helpful in measuring real life obedience , explain some findings and applications

that's what i would write abt

Social KQ not come up yet and also adoption study not come up. Short Qs....bound to be a histogram
Original post by sanriolvr221
Guys can anyone send me a an essay plan for evaluating Milgram’s study pleaseee

For the original? aim, sample, findings (including data, specifically percentage who gave 450Vs fake shocks) and conclusion from these findings. A03 would be internal validity, the detail of incremental voltages, that pps were perspiring (evidence that they believed they were really giving shocks). competing argument could be low ec validity. Weakness would be ethics.
Reply 27
Original post by Thurlestone
For the original? aim, sample, findings (including data, specifically percentage who gave 450Vs fake shocks) and conclusion from these findings. A03 would be internal validity, the detail of incremental voltages, that pps were perspiring (evidence that they believed they were really giving shocks). competing argument could be low ec validity. Weakness would be ethics.

ethnocentric sample, all male, in america, similar demographic, but had a range of occupations and ages
also talk about ethics, the verbal prods, not reminded of their right to withdrawal, and that people showed obvious signs of distress, deception
was able to be replicated by burger, highly standardised, and has test retest reliability since burger found very similar results
murato - doubters and believers - the believers were more likely to disobey and give lower shocks cos they thought is was real
application to pilot training and also helps form the basis of agency theory.
low task validity, situation not typical of real life
Original post by C.A. J
ethnocentric sample, all male, in america, similar demographic, but had a range of occupations and ages
also talk about ethics, the verbal prods, not reminded of their right to withdrawal, and that people showed obvious signs of distress, deception
was able to be replicated by burger, highly standardised, and has test retest reliability since burger found very similar results
murato - doubters and believers - the believers were more likely to disobey and give lower shocks cos they thought is was real
application to pilot training and also helps form the basis of agency theory.
low task validity, situation not typical of real life

Thank you so much!
Original post by Thurlestone

Thank you sm!
Guys yk 8 markers that were asked in the previous AS papers have they ever been repeated in the actual a level papers?
Reply 31
exam tomorrow how's everyone feeling?
Reply 32
Original post by C.A. J
what it means varies per topic
in social - individual refers to personality and gender (locus of control, authoritarian etc)
then developmental would be culture and personality through upbringing (cultural norms as we grow up)

in cog - indiv would be reconstructive mem and what are schemas are formed from, and brain damages
development would be dyslexia and alzheimer's

in bio - indiv would be similarities and diff in brain structures, freuds view of personality
development would be evolution freuds DEVELOPMENT' of personality (what ages it comes about) and hormones

in lt - indiv would be difference observed behaviours 'gender can be learned and give indiv diff,
development would be diff papers of reward and punishment, learning of gendered behaviour
for learning theory they kind of overlap but yeah

Thank you this is very helpful! Although I cannot find my notes for bio indiv and development 😭
Reply 33
Original post by C.A. J
exam tomorrow how's everyone feeling?

It’s a day before it, I was focused on the geo exam I had yesterday, today I’m quite unsure in what to do but I’ll go over my essay plans and specification to identify gaps and read notes🫶
Reply 34
im gonna say unlikely but you can always check and compare the past papers

Original post by sanriolvr221
Guys yk 8 markers that were asked in the previous AS papers have they ever been repeated in the actual a level papers?
Reply 35
same , rn bio-such is where my knowledge is most spotty, but ill quickly read over flashcards and do so exam questions.
don't forget to go over calculations its arguably the easiest bit on the paper, can secure you like 8 marks
Original post by Jihoooo
It’s a day before it, I was focused on the geo exam I had yesterday, today I’m quite unsure in what to do but I’ll go over my essay plans and specification to identify gaps and read notes🫶
Reply 36
Original post by Jihoooo
Thank you this is very helpful! Although I cannot find my notes for bio indiv and development 😭

I’ve found it ! Nevermind
Reply 37
Original post by C.A. J
same , rn bio-such is where my knowledge is most spotty, but ill quickly read over flashcards and do so exam questions.
don't forget to go over calculations its arguably the easiest bit on the paper, can secure you like 8 marks

Thank you so much for the advice!
Reply 38
Do you guys think key question or practical is gonna come up? If so which one is more likely? Can they repeat it?

According to my comparison with past paper questions (2017-2021) :

There was Key question asked for - cog/bio/learning and none for social? (Correct me if I’m wrong)
Practical- social and none for the rest! Although there was a question in 2021:
“Q13- In cognitive psychology and learning theories you will have learned about the use of psychological knowledge in society, including key questions of relevance in society.

Evaluate the use of psychological knowledge from cognitive psychology and learning theories in society.
You must use concepts, theories and/or research from cognitive psychology and learning theories in your answer.”

^^ haven’t done that question yet but does it require to have key question knowledge for both?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Jihoooo
Do you guys think key question or practical is gonna come up? If so which one is more likely? Can they repeat it?

According to my comparison with past paper questions (2017-2021) :

There was Key question asked for - cog/bio/learning and none for social? (Correct me if I’m wrong)
Practical- social and none for the rest! Although there was a question in 2021:
“Q13- In cognitive psychology and learning theories you will have learned about the use of psychological knowledge in society, including key questions of relevance in society.

Evaluate the use of psychological knowledge from cognitive psychology and learning theories in society.
You must use concepts, theories and/or research from cognitive psychology and learning theories in your answer.”

^^ haven’t done that question yet but does it require to have key question knowledge for both?

since it does mention the key questions, you would mention them, but it wouldn't be the main body of the essay,

i think for sure they have to asked the key question for social since they've asked one each year, so memorise points for that.

for practicals they are usually like, explain how you got qualitative/quantitative data form your practical, or explain the results or procedure , so make sure you go over those. worst comes to worst if you cut remember the results of your practical you can just make them up, provided that they acc make sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending