The Student Room Group

Work Experience for Assistant Psychologist

Hi,

I am in my second year for psychology and finish next year. It is a perfect time where I should be seriously planning my next steps which are either masters in psychology or neuroscience related degrees or working as an assistant psychologist to gain further experience for doctorate in clinical psychology.

However, when I was looking for job requirements, all of them require experience in mental health area and etc. So I start searching various 'starter' jobs in mental health and they also require similar type of experience as well as working with adolescents, adults and children.

I just don't know where to start and I would be really thankful if someone helped me out or at least directed me towards any good starting points :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by gandalfhan
Hi,

I am in my second year for psychology and finish next year. It is a perfect time where I should be seriously planning my next steps which are either masters in psychology or neuroscience related degrees or working as an assistant psychologist to gain further experience for doctorate in clinical psychology.

However, when I was looking for job requirements, all of them require experience in mental health area and etc. So I start searching various 'starter' jobs in mental health and they also require similar type of experience as well as working with adolescents, adults and children.

I just don't know where to start and I would be really thankful if someone helped me out or at least directed me towards any good starting points :smile:

Support work is generally a good place to start. Private companies and charities in particular don't usually ask for experience and they will train you to do the role. I started with a company called Choice Support supporting adults with learning disabilities. I then got a mental health support work role in the NHS, and progressed from there.
I second HCA/support worker roles, the experience you get from them is invaluable. A lot of organisations offer bank roles which mean you can pick and choose which shifts you work and can fit shifts around your studies.
Reply 3
I know that the charity MIND offer some good part-time roles within their helpline and drop-in services that are usually evening so are great for while you are still at uni.
Another one for HCA work. I started as an HCA and even now I draw from those experiences despite being qualified for way too long. I also think it helps to have 'worked up the bands' from Band 3 up to Band 8 in the NHS as you can appreciate different disciplines and see what good clinical work looks like at all the levels.
Reply 5
Original post by Lord Asriel
Another one for HCA work. I started as an HCA and even now I draw from those experiences despite being qualified for way too long. I also think it helps to have 'worked up the bands' from Band 3 up to Band 8 in the NHS as you can appreciate different disciplines and see what good clinical work looks like at all the levels.

How long did it take you to move up bands? Also what were your different role titles for each band?

Quick Reply

Latest