The Student Room Group

Clinical Psychologist with a 2.1 in Bsc Psychology and a RM masters?

Hi, I have become more and more interested in becoming a clinical psychologist recently. I have a 2.1 in BSc Psychology and will be finishing a Psychological Research Methods masters this July, both from Nottingham Trent University. How likely is it that I would be able to get onto a postgraduate doctorate in clinical psychology with these qualifications? Will I have to do extra volunteering/work experience? Will I have to take another masters more relevant to clinical psychology? Any help would be appreciated as I'm not sure what the correct path to take is. Thank you.
Reply 1
Do you think you have decent research skills?
Reply 2
I'd say so. I've been getting mostly distinctions and commendations. I'm most confident in anything stats related though
Original post by ajj2000
Do you think you have decent research skills?
You won't get on with just those two,you need proper related work experience as well as academic grades
Reply 4
Original post by DerpyBean
Hi, I have become more and more interested in becoming a clinical psychologist recently. I have a 2.1 in BSc Psychology and will be finishing a Psychological Research Methods masters this July, both from Nottingham Trent University. How likely is it that I would be able to get onto a postgraduate doctorate in clinical psychology with these qualifications? Will I have to do extra volunteering/work experience? Will I have to take another masters more relevant to clinical psychology? Any help would be appreciated as I'm not sure what the correct path to take is. Thank you.

They are certainly relevant qualifications, but you will need a good amount of relevant clinical experience to get onto the doctorate program. This could include roles such as assistant psychologist, support worker, recovery worker, etc. Ideally, you should look for experience that allows you to work with psychologists and/or with populations psychologists tend to work with.

Quick Reply

Latest