The Student Room Group

Question, is there something wrong with me??? 0.0

So.....um...don't hate me for this....but, it's not that I HATE Taehyung it's just....well, I just don't LIKE LIKE him like LIKE him in a 'Romantic' way I guess?? Everyone keeps saying that I have to like Taehyung that way. But WHY. I mean, if ya'll can convince me what's there to like about Tae then yeah.. go ahead.. but I promise you i'm not changing my mind. Like, Honestly I think the reason why I don't like him that much is he WAYY to overrated. I mean and also.....*clears throat* also... there is um.....Taekook shippers... I absolutely HATE them. I used to be OBSESSED with Tae (not in a bad way.) but then all of a sudden, people started saying OMG TAEHYUNG AND JUNGKOOK LOOK SO GOOD TOGETHER, OMG THEIR GONNA KISS OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! like. BRO STFU- CAN I HAVE A MOMENT TO BREATH PLEASE.. damn. Sorry if I sound iffy?? I'm just... UGH. The taekookers wouldn't stop talking about them until one day I was just like "That's it. I'm fed up with this crap. I'm done. Bye Taehyung." and soooo... now I'm here. (Edit: SORRY, I HAD A HORRIBLE DAY, I WAS SPAMMED BY SOME FRIENDS)

Scroll to see replies

wtf did I just read
Reply 2
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
wtf did I just read

idk :smile:
All of BTS and Blackpink and every other Korean and whatnot band out there is utter crap. Best to distance yourself from all of them.
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
All of BTS and Blackpink and every other Korean and whatnot band out there is utter crap. Best to distance yourself from all of them.

but....why tho-
Original post by 7xx_Ryan_xXx
but....why tho-

They’re awful.
Reply 6
If you're really overthinking it like this, then maybe there is, yes.
What in the heck is this post?

Lmao what kind of ridiculous generalisation is this, how are you going to put all bands from a specific country in the exact same category
Original post by Labradoodle1
Lmao what kind of ridiculous generalisation is this, how are you going to put all bands from a specific country in the exact same category

It's my opinion.
It's my opinion.

It's stupid. You can't seriously believe all bands from one country are going to be the same style. Believe it or not, different genres exist in all parts of the world.
It's stupid. You can't seriously believe all bands from one country are going to be the same style. Believe it or not, different genres exist in all parts of the world.

No, you’ve stupidly misinterpreted. I’m not talking about all genres, I’m talking about the BTS and Blackpink style crap.
No, you’ve stupidly misinterpreted. I’m not talking about all genres, I’m talking about the BTS and Blackpink style crap.

I mean you did say 'BTS and Blackpink and every other Korean and whatnot band out there' but go off I guess
I mean you did say 'BTS and Blackpink and every other Korean and whatnot band out there' but go off I guess

Yes, in that same vein because this thread is about that...
Either the majority of the people that you speak to/listen to are unhinged adorers of Taehyung trying to pressure you into joining their cult or you are overthinking the idiocy that a few of the most obsessive bts stans have become notorious for mass posting online.
Reply 15
So.....um...don't hate me for this....but, it's not that I HATE Taehyung it's just....well, I just don't LIKE LIKE him like LIKE him in a 'Romantic' way I guess?? Everyone keeps saying that I have to like Taehyung that way. But WHY. I mean, if ya'll can convince me what's there to like about Tae then yeah.. go ahead.. but I promise you i'm not changing my mind. Like, Honestly I think the reason why I don't like him that much is he WAYY to overrated. I mean and also.....*clears throat* also... there is um.....Taekook shippers... I absolutely HATE them. I used to be OBSESSED with Tae (not in a bad way.) but then all of a sudden, people started saying OMG TAEHYUNG AND JUNGKOOK LOOK SO GOOD TOGETHER, OMG THEIR GONNA KISS OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! like. BRO STFU- CAN I HAVE A MOMENT TO BREATH PLEASE.. damn. Sorry if I sound iffy?? I'm just... UGH. The taekookers wouldn't stop talking about them until one day I was just like "That's it. I'm fed up with this crap. I'm done. Bye Taehyung." and soooo... now I'm here. (Edit: SORRY, I HAD A HORRIBLE DAY, I WAS SPAMMED BY SOME FRIENDS)

Woah... I feel like we've blindsided the actual title of this thread.
To answer your question, no, there's nothing wrong with you not liking Taehyung in that way. Actually, I think you're perfectly sane tbh?
Having romantic feelings for a kpop idol is one thing, but shipping them with their band members is another story for another day. :colonhash:
They're human too, you know? Wattpad stories are funny and all, but let's remember they're real people just trying to do their job.
The Kpop industry is hard enough as it is with the beauty standards and the wolf fight to release the next soty.

If you're not comfortable with the shippers, leave them be. They'll grow out of that phase soon enough, so don't worry yourself too much about what they think. :h: I suggest finding some different friends that are more your stream?

I've been listening to Kpop for years now and I've seen many sorts of fans in this community. We tend to ignore the delulus.
Kpop, just like any other music genre, is a way for you to express yourself or find comfort in. Do what makes you happy. I've gotten to the stage where I'm just not fussed about catching up on everything that goes on. Top tip: just vibe to what you want to vibe, you'll stress less.
And, regardless of the strangeness you'll find in this genre, just respect that others have different (albeit very very controversial) opinions. :smile:

Let's not focus on the negatives though, shall we? If you don't like the situation or the conversation topic, just leave. It's that easy.
Say nothing, no need to be dramatic or tell them to stop. They'll look back and cringe in a few months' time, I promise you.

Anyways, you wouldn't like it if someone said they were fed up with you, would you?
They might've take that personally. Maybe that's why they're spamming you. I hope everything's okay now?
Reply 16

That's quite a strong claim to make.

I personally think every "other Korean band", especially BTS and Blackpink, are just out there trying to do their job.
That job demands them to make money by releasing songs (like every other musician out there) and there's a strong emphasis on having good fan service to keep fans coming back, so it can be quite hard to distance yourself from it. How about we let OP decide that for themself?
Thanks for the advice from an outside perspective tho...

Even if I don't agree, I respect your opinion so don't worry.
But let's face it, the musicians didn't really do anything to be called "utter crap".
I say, don't hate them, hate the delusional fans.
Unless... you wanna explain why you think that way? Have you listened to every other Korean and whatnot band out there, to then say that? I'm intrigued.

Nevertheless, here's a message from most of us who aren't distancing ourselves from Kpop: We're just treating it like every other music genre. Let's not belittle each other, shall we? :smile:

What sort of music do you listen to and what would fit into your non-"utter crap" section?
I'm open to listening to anything at this point. I feel bored with my playlists, so I might check out any of the song recs you drop. :h:
Are there any toxic fans in your fav music genre too? :thumbdown:
Reply 17
They’re awful.

buuutttt whyyyy thoooo-
Reply 18
Original post by enhaluvr
That's quite a strong claim to make.

I personally think every "other Korean band", especially BTS and Blackpink, are just out there trying to do their job.
That job demands them to make money by releasing songs (like every other musician out there) and there's a strong emphasis on having good fan service to keep fans coming back, so it can be quite hard to distance yourself from it. How about we let OP decide that for themself?

Even if I don't agree, I respect your opinion so don't worry.
But let's face it, the musicians didn't really do anything to be called "utter crap".
I say, don't hate them, hate the delusional fans.
Unless... you wanna explain why you think that way? Have you listened to every other Korean and whatnot band out there, to then say that? I'm intrigued.

Nevertheless, here's a message from most of us who aren't distancing ourselves from Kpop: We're just treating it like every other music genre. Let's not belittle each other, shall we? :smile:

What sort of music do you listen to and what would fit into your non-"utter crap" section?
I'm open to listening to anything at this point. I feel bored with my playlists, so I might check out any of the song recs you drop. :h:
Are there any toxic fans in your fav music genre too? :thumbdown:

It's really not that deep. Basically every musician on the planet works hard, including the ones in the boozer of a Saturday night that get paid buttons to play Wonderwall to 20 abusive ********s. That doesn't mean what every musician does is good, whatever 'good' is taken to mean. When people say something is shite, they don't usually mean from some Olympian viewpoint, it's simply shorthand for 'I don't like it'. once you twig to that you stop being arsed about someone slating your fave band/genre/whatever. If you feel belittled because someone says a genre you like is crap, I'm sorry but you need to grow a thicker skin.

I've not given two hoots about what others think of my tastes etc for about 25 years. It amazes me that other people are bothered.
Reply 19
Original post by gjd800
It's really not that deep. Basically every musician on the planet works hard, including the ones in the boozer of a Saturday night that get paid buttons to play Wonderwall to 20 abusive ********s. That doesn't mean what every musician does is good, whatever 'good' is taken to mean. When people say something is shite, they don't usually mean from some Olympian viewpoint, it's simply shorthand for 'I don't like it'. once you twig to that you stop being arsed about someone slating your fave band/genre/whatever. If you feel belittled because someone says a genre you like is crap, I'm sorry but you need to grow a thicker skin.

I've not given two hoots about what others think of my tastes etc for about 25 years. It amazes me that other people are bothered.

Lemme break down this reply because it seems like you've got the wrong message. Wasn't meaning anything deep over here.

Firstly, yeah, I get what you mean. No human out here (whether musician or not) is an angel.
Didn't mention anything about anyone being "good" in the first place.
There are horrible people everywhere, and the harsh reality is, there are people like that in Kpop too. :eek::eek:

The comment "every other Korean and whatnot band out there" was just so generalised, it was too funny not to have it elaborated.
It's fine to say "yeah BTS and Blackpink suck". That's your opinion.
But bringing the entire Korean music industry into it? Lmao, have you heard it all? They ain't even the same genre.

To elaborate, not all Korean bands are the same. It's like putting Beyonce and Eminem in the same place and being like, "you two suck at singing".
Yeah, they both speak English and they're both in the same industry, but just cuz Eminem doesn't sing very well (bless his soul, he probably does), doesn't mean Beyonce sucks too. :borat: Don't go all anti on musicians who don't deserve it is all I'm saying. They're still human, even your boozer musicians.

(For the above lines in bold) That's what I described in my reply to the other commenter, was it not?

I was responding to how OP might have trouble distancing herself from this music genre in particular because of the above reasons, and so, was just trying to word it in a way that a kpop stan (OP) might appreciate. We all know K-pop's budget for marketing is extreme. Lots of people out there are suckers to the system.

I'm sure we could gather from OP's phrasing and sentence structure that they're relatively young. When you're at that stage in life, you tend to take things to heart.
I'm sure there was a time before your 25-year-long self-awareness epiphany when you would absorb messages like a sponge, and take things personally.
I'm pretty sure OP is doing that right now.
buuutttt whyyyy thoooo-

Saying straight up that someone's favs are "utter crap" will definitely trigger anyone. People naturally wanna defend what they love. It's in our biology. Idk man, maybe you're different and can ignore people who directly tell you to quit what you like.
Oh! Or... Maybe you're fine with it now... because you've been regularly exposed to critiques. Props to you. I'm tryna be like you man. Let's stay strong.

But to be amazed that others can get bothered by this stuff is kinda... idk how to explain. Look at you, 25+ years old with a PhD (saw this on your profile. impressive, might I add. what was it on? :O), and shocked at how emotional young people (especially OP) can be.
They are still making sense of the world?
Let's not rush em and say "Grow a thicker skin". It's easier for you to say that, you academic weapon with multiple qualifications :wink:.
I say let em feel the world fully before setting foot in this anaesthetising adult world. :burnout: They'll grow thicker skin eventually. Don't rush the process.

Unless... that message was for me (because you replied to my message). To explain, personally, I ain't bothered. :rolleyes:
I "couldn't give two hoots" either about whether or not you like my music taste? Music is subjective? Duh, people are gunna have opinions that clash with yours. I mentioned that in my response to OP themself. :h: I am, quite simply put, a tired casual listener.
Kpop, just like any other music genre, is a way for you to express yourself or find comfort in. Do what makes you happy. I've gotten to the stage where I'm just not fussed about catching up on everything that goes on. Top tip: just vibe to what you want to vibe, you'll stress less.

Thanks for the advice tho man. Appreciate it.
Hope this clears things up. Was never that deep in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest