The Student Room Group

can you have a minor in UK Universities?

Is it possible to have a minor in UK universities? Cause I know that in America it's possible but I haven't seen much of it when researching universities in the uk
Reply 1
Do you mean for someone under 18 to attend University, or to bring a child with you to University?
Minor and Major? Scotland is the closest you will get with that. An awful lot of Americans go to St Andrews.
Reply 3
Original post by mmpi
Do you mean for someone under 18 to attend University, or to bring a child with you to University?

Oh I meant like Majors and minors, if it was possible to have a minor besides a major in Uni
At some but not many. In Scotland it's more common, so you'd start with two or three (i think often related) subjects then drop one or more partway through. In England, many unis will let you take the odd module outside your main subject (often a language) but not necessarily have it formally part of your degree title. They might also run a few full courses with popular combinations of subjects, for example maths with philosophy or computing. Plus things like natural sciences or occasionally liberal arts.

Finally there's places like Keele, where more subject combinations are available and many students take them. In this case you either do both subjects all the way through (to come out with a dual honours degree, eg psychology AND neuroscience), or drop one after your second year so the second one gets named in your degree title as a minor (eg psychology WITH neuroscience). I can't think of other unis where this is common off the top of my head but I'm sure they are out there.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense, given it's 3:30am lol.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by furryface12
At some but not many. In Scotland it's more common, so you'd start with two or three (i think often related) subjects then drop one or more partway through. In England, many unis will let you take the odd module outside your main subject (often a language) but not necessarily have it formally part of your degree title. They might also run a few full courses with popular combinations of subjects, for example maths with philosophy or computing. Plus things like natural sciences or occasionally liberal arts.

Finally there's places like Keele, where more subject combinations are available and many students take them. In this case you either do both subjects all the way through (to come out with a dual honours degree, eg psychology AND neuroscience), or drop one after your second year so the second one gets named in your degree title as a minor (eg psychology that WITH neuroscience). I can't think of other unis where this is common off the top of my head but I'm sure they are out there.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense, given it's 3:30am lol.

That made a lot of sense thank you so much!
Original post by onlyangel28
Is it possible to have a minor in UK universities? Cause I know that in America it's possible but I haven't seen much of it when researching universities in the uk

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. At Lancaster, if you are on a single honour degree (aka your degree is in a single subject) then during your first year you will take a minor in a different subject of your choice which will be a third of your first year content. For example, I am on a maths degree but in my first year I also took beginners Spanish. In second year, you can switch onto a joint major programme if you enjoyed your minor or drop it entirely. In addition, in third year if you did drop your minor you are able to take some modules in that subject as well. So while it isn't identical to the American system it does have similarities.

Another option would be taking a degree such as natural sciences where you have multiple subject areas. At Lancaster you can handpick three of the following areas: Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Engineering, Environmental & Earth Science, Geography, Mathematics, Medical School, Psychics and Psychology. As you progress into your second year, you can decide to keep studying all three or to focus on the subjects that fascinate you the most.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Original post by onlyangel28

Only if it's a formal part of the structure of the degrees at that uni. So in general, no.

If the course is "bachelors in X with Y" then the Y is usually referred to as a minor subject, but not all combinations are available (or even common). Likewise some other combined honours style programmes like liberal arts, art and sciences, natural sciences and similar courses may have that. Also UCL Engineering at least previously required students to take a "cluster" of courses outside their main field which constituted a "minor".

Some universities like Lancaster and Southampton for engineering have formal "minor" options/requirements, whereby optional modules you elect outside of your main field of study may be formally recognised on your transcript as a minor. However not all degrees will allow you to take suitable external options for this purpose.

Don't assume you can just go to any uni to do degree X and you'll be able to do a "minor" in Y though - unlike in the US that is not standard and is more commonly not an option than it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending