The Student Room Group

Can I take a small language course on the side of my major?

Can I take more than one course? I would like to become an architect which I know takes seven years but on the side could I not take a small language course? My parents did when they went to uni however, that was in Europe.
(edited 8 months ago)
In the UK you don't have a "major" so to speak. Some courses might be structured in a major-minor format i.e. "BA/BSc X with Y" but in general the terminology "major" is not really applicable to UK degrees.

To answer your question about studying a language alongside your degree, this will depend on the university and options available. For architecture I suspect you will have very limited scope, if any, to take external optional modules (due to accreditation requirements), so you probably can't take language modules as a formal/for credit part of your degree.

However most universities will have a language centre which offers language classes at a range of levels in a not-for-credit fashion - usually they are timed in the evenings to avoid clashing with lectures. You do have to pay to take those although often current students and alumni can get a discount. Sometimes they also have intensive summer courses available as well (these are often open to anyone who pays for them and not just those studying at the uni incidentally) - SOAS for example offers a range of such courses in their specialty languages.

So the answer is "probably yes but most likely not in the way you are thinking" :smile:
Depends. I did a STEM degree in a London uni and in first year I did 3 optional modules, 2 of them had to be maths which sort of defeated the point of them being called optional but the third one had a slightly larger range of options and I was able to pick a language module. However, from second year onwards all of the possible optional modules were directly related to my degree and I could no longer do anything like a language. I suspect this is the case for most degrees so it may be possible in first year but unlikely for the others.
Thx a lot! My parents are foreigners so I think they had the had the major and minor format.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
In the UK you don't have a "major" so to speak. Some courses might be structured in a major-minor format i.e. "BA/BSc X with Y" but in general the terminology "major" is not really applicable to UK degrees.

To answer your question about studying a language alongside your degree, this will depend on the university and options available. For architecture I suspect you will have very limited scope, if any, to take external optional modules (due to accreditation requirements), so you probably can't take language modules as a formal/for credit part of your degree.

However most universities will have a language centre which offers language classes at a range of levels in a not-for-credit fashion - usually they are timed in the evenings to avoid clashing with lectures. You do have to pay to take those although often current students and alumni can get a discount. Sometimes they also have intensive summer courses available as well (these are often open to anyone who pays for them and not just those studying at the uni incidentally) - SOAS for example offers a range of such courses in their specialty languages.

So the answer is "probably yes but most likely not in the way you are thinking" :smile:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending