The Student Room Group

Medicine

Hi I have just done my year 12 mocks which form your predicted grades .I will probably get AAAB with the As in chem ,maths and Spanish .The B will probably be in biology .Is there any way I can get into a med schools if so which ones .Otherwise does anyone have any useful advice of how I can get into medicine .Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by JJ5672
Hi I have just done my year 12 mocks which form your predicted grades .I will probably get AAAB with the As in chem ,maths and Spanish .The B will probably be in biology .Is there any way I can get into a med schools if so which ones .Otherwise does anyone have any useful advice of how I can get into medicine .Thank you

Apply to med schools that do not need biology or persuade your teachers to predict you AAA in chem, bio and either maths or Spanish and drop the other subject
Reply 2
Which Medical Schools Don’t Necessarily Require Biology?
You don’t need to have studied biology at A-level in order to apply to the following universities:

University of Aberdeen
Anglia Ruskin
University of Bristol
Brunel
University of Cambridge
University of Dundee
University of East Anglia
University of Edinburgh
Keele University
Kent and Medway
Lancaster University
University of Leicester
University of Liverpool
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
University of Oxford
Queen Mary University
Queen’s University Belfast
University of Sheffield
University of St Andrews
University of Sunderland
University of Central Lancashire
University of Leeds
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
Apply to med schools that do not need biology or persuade your teachers to predict you AAA in chem, bio and either maths or Spanish and drop the other subject

I could probs get my Spanish teacher to give me an A* and get AA in in chem and maths but I’m not sure bio will budge .Do you know any unis that I can apply to ?
Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by JJ5672
I could probs get my Spanish teacher to give me an A* and get AA in in chem and maths but I’m not sure bio will budge .Do you know any unis that I can apply to ?
Thanks

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

You can also apply to med schools that may accept AAB predictions (and require bio), as long as you believe you can get AAA in the final exams
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by louisa.
Which Medical Schools Don’t Necessarily Require Biology?
You don’t need to have studied biology at A-level in order to apply to the following universities:

University of Aberdeen
Anglia Ruskin
University of Bristol
Brunel
University of Cambridge
University of Dundee
University of East Anglia
University of Edinburgh
Keele University
Kent and Medway
Lancaster University
University of Leicester
University of Liverpool
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
University of Oxford
Queen Mary University
Queen’s University Belfast
University of Sheffield
University of St Andrews
University of Sunderland
University of Central Lancashire
University of Leeds

Brunel are a private uni for international students only.
UCLan only accept 15 UK students who must be resident in the North West.
Cambridge may not officially require biology for all colleges, but have an incredibly low success rate for people not doing 3 stem subjects
Glasgow is missing off that list
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

You can also apply to med schools that may accept AAB predictions (and require bio), as long as you believe you can get AAA in the final exams

Which ones accept AAB predictions
Reply 7
Original post by JJ5672
Which ones accept AAB predictions

What research have you done into this? Which ones do you know of?
Reply 8
Original post by JJ5672

Obvious comment but getting high ucat score will open doors and vice versa. Doing 4 a levels is a push but you may not need to do so much on final Spanish revision if you've reached good standard and it is strength for you, as it seems to be, and I think having a communication related subject is helpful. So, personal view, would keep Spanish (dd took alongside chem and bio, and loved that combo).

On negotiating with your teachers I would say that the motivation of a medicine offer will mean you would move the earth to get the grade. Ultimately however of course you can get in if you want it enough! Just get the grades

Also look at any possible contextual/WP offers if can't move predicted grade (no gap year etc). As noted do the research!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD
What research have you done into this? Which ones do you know of?

I know Lancaster does accept AAB.
However I feel like I’m capable of getting an A in bio so would it be possible to get into medicine on results day?
Reply 10
Original post by Justapapa
Obvious comment but getting high ucat score will open doors and vice versa. Doing 4 a levels is a push but you may not need to do so much on final Spanish revision if you've reached good standard and it is strength for you, as it seems to be, and I think having a communication related subject is helpful. So, personal view, would keep Spanish (dd took alongside chem and bio, and loved that combo).

On negotiating with your teachers I would say that the motivation of a medicine offer will mean you would move the earth to get the grade. Ultimately however of course you can get in if you want it enough! Just get the grades

Also look at any possible contextual/WP offers if can't move predicted grade (no gap year etc). As noted do the researching

I will try and beg my biology teacher however I’m not sure we’ll see.
Original post by JJ5672
I will try and beg my biology teacher however I’m not sure we’ll see.

At my school we got given the chance to improve our predicted grades after summer through topic tests. You can try asking your teacher for this
Reply 12
Original post by foreverrocking
At my school we got given the chance to improve our predicted grades after summer through topic tests. You can try asking your teacher for this

My school are being extremely strict .**
Reply 13
Original post by JJ5672
I know Lancaster does accept AAB.
However I feel like I’m capable of getting an A in bio so would it be possible to get into medicine on results day?

There are lots of med schools that would accept your grades as they are, should you get that on results day, and several more who would interview you predicted AAB but any offer would be AAA, so it would just need for you to achieve those grades.
Places that look at predictions will not shortlist you with AAB, if they need bio and you have no WP flags. They are likely to have lots of waitlisted people they have already interviewed on results day, but if you had no offers and something came up in Clearing, yes, you could apply for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending